What's binding?

• Thread starter anarchistwar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anarchistwar

Reaction score
naw i just kept reading it and was sick of not understanding:yesway:

oh and i gues while i'm here

how are 707's i just bought my first 7 string (and decent guitar)

looking for upgrades that are worthwhile. i like cleans and flanger but also a good heavy crunch.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
EMG's will need quite a bit of routing, but are well worth it IMO. Many here would disagree.

What are you using?

anarchistwar

Reaction score
i aquired a Washburn WG 587, it's so much better than anything else i've ever owned........

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool! Do you have the trem version with single coil middle pickup?

I have one. I left it completely stock, but I think EMG-707s would be great on a WG-587. If it was me, I'd use a 707 neck and 81/7 bridge. You'd have to lose the SC in the middle and the pickup rings (who wants rings anyway?)

I wouldn't try adding binding or anything like that. Good luck!

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Binding owns:

H207_taste_the_goodness.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
anarchistwar said:
naw i got the one with just 2 hums

Then I'd consider getting EMG's more seriously, as long as you don't mind hacking away at the wood in the body too much. Or you can email EMG and harp at them to offer EMG-707 and EMG-81/7 in regular seven string cases! :rant:

anarchistwar

Reaction score
don't hate

i was on a budget of about 200 so i bought what i could afford and i FUCKIN LOVE IT.......

nice guitar btw, i tried shecters but i really didn't like the neck
:fawk:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I love my WG 587 too. You got a steal if you only spent $200! Mine is Floyd equipped, and I got it from a guy who was selling it cheap because he saw the prices on the new ones.

My issue with Schecter is also the V neck. I like the back of the neck flatter. The pickups and woods sound really good on the Schecters I've heard, though.

anarchistwar

Reaction score
ya i really like everything else about them except the neck, definetly liking the flatter neck on my WG as opposed to my old strat imitation,

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
anarchistwar said:
sry about the vaguness, i meant on the neck of a guitar, like a binded neck???????

"Bound" neck. And one question mark is plenty. ;)

/grammar nazi

Gouzou

Gouzou
Reaction score
really nice bindings around here ... and truly wonderful hellraiser :)
still I didn't see the most impressive : anybody has a 7s neck with binding that also covers the frets ?

... I'd be glad to find out where I can get it :)

I had that wonderful binding on a Jackson USA Kelly ... wonderful guitar, i regret parting from it, even though I got my triaxis and rg7620 from that deal ...

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I believe all of Matt Crooks' custom shop jacksons have binding over the frets - at least the ones he ordered personally.

Gouzou

Gouzou
Reaction score
well not exactly ofer the frets : I meant the border of the fret
... maybe my english might not be as clear as I wish :)

here is a rough schematic of this side of the neck ( as you would see it when playing ), where binding covers the frets border : you feel only wood and binding.

Code:
      _         _         _
_____/ \_______/ \_______/ \___
binding
--------------------------------
wood

and this would be the same with standard binding : on the side of the the neck, your fingers feel wood, binding and metal

Code:
      _fret     _fret     _fret
_____|_|_______|_|_______|_|_____
binding
--------------------------------
wood

Gouzou

Gouzou
Reaction score
Oogadee Boogadee said:
I believe all of Matt Crooks' custom shop jacksons have binding over the frets - at least the ones he ordered personally.

sorry Oogadee Boogadee, I was busy drawing and I didn't see your post ... anyway I think that's the kind of jackson guitars i was writing about ...

ok, these are 2 pics of beautiful standard binding ... I have to go now but I'll try to find the appropriate pics tomorrow :)

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
rr_head.jpg

StarHeadstock.JPG

StarInlay.JPG

it probably makes more sense to describe binding over the frets, as they're commonly referred to, as binding that caps the fret ends. Instead of the fret extending past the board to the edge of the binding, the frets stops at the edge of the wood, and the binding material is elevated and rounded in the shape of the fret, adding a small extension to the fret.

Lots of Les Pauls have them.

Gouzou

Gouzou
Reaction score
well I think you rellay got the pics ! Thanks for helping me finding the right terms about this :)
These Jacksons are wonderful ... my next step will be a RAN 7 string ( here in europe we have to get guitars form poland to find reasonably priced qualitiy in custom shops ) but one day I'll be back in the Jackson palyers yard !!!
( just have to wait for my 40nth birthday ... or maybe selle my girlfriend Fiat Panda !! )

')