What's cheapest okay-sounding humbucker...

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
That I could buy on its own, instead of ripping it out of a cheap guitar or something.

I'm looking to make a really cheap DIY adjustable fret guitar, and would like the possibility of running it through an amp, which requires a pickup of some sort.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

byte6669

The Death Metal Dude
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to play with that guitar, but I think that Duncan Designed pickups are quite good as far as I have one guitar at home with these pickus (currently HB103 - something like SH-6 Duncan Distortion) and I am satisfied with that pickup. And also they are not too expansive, so you should try them out in some guitar you will see in guitar center or if your friends have something like that.

Sunyata

Bro Story Cool
Reaction score
People often sell the stock pickups they rip out of guitars for cheap on craigslist. I've seen Ibanez V7 or whatever pickups for like $10 on my local craigs.

tedtan

Reaction score
The older, 6 string V7 and V8 pickups are actually pretty good, but they're not high output. Unfortunately, the 7 strings versions aren't as good.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
You could check ebay for some pulled stock pickups, they're dirt cheap.

Or make a WTB in the classifieds here for used/cheap pickups.

Or depending whereabouts you are on "the interblog" a local sso'er might even have something they would just give you. I do/would.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
The older, 6 string V7 and V8 pickups are actually pretty good, but they're not high output. Unfortunately, the 7 strings versions aren't as good.

This is true. I have an RG7420 (in pieces at the moment) which comes with 7 string versions of the V7/V8 and they resonate extremely strong on the pitch A and pitches closely related to A. The recorded waveform looks really weird!

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
You could maybe get something from GFS!

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
People often sell the stock pickups they rip out of guitars for cheap on craigslist. I've seen Ibanez V7 or whatever pickups for like $10 on my local craigs.
I think I'll do this, since I'd like to buy it locally if at all possible, instead of waiting for it to ship, and I'd avoid shipping fees.

I'll poke around at my local Guitar Center as well, it's just down the street and it's run by good people who know me.

wakjob

Reaction score
Guitarfetish and Dragonfire are made at the same plant in Korea with different specs. designed by each company.

Haven't tried either yet but, the pricing is great on these. If you google search either one, a bunch of forum related topics come up with people who have tried them both.

Demiurge

Reaction score
GFS Crunchy PATS: $23 and IMO the best bang-for-buck now that Kent Armstrong M-series went up $10/per.

sell2792

Reaction score
People sell good pickups for reasonable prices all the time (DiMarzio/SD). Just search on here or your local CraigsList.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Guitarfetish and Dragonfire are made at the same plant in Korea with different specs. designed by each company.

Haven't tried either yet but, the pricing is great on these. If you google search either one, a bunch of forum related topics come up with people who have tried them both.

Yea, I'd have to concur. I've used the GFS Fat PAF, Crunchy PAF & Power Rails (along with various single-coil types) and I've also had the Dragonfire Screamers.

Honestly, the Screamers sound pretty awesome for as little as they cost. The Power Rails neck pickup sounded pretty awesome. I didn't really care for the FAT PAF or Crunchy PAF.

')