What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Red to black fade, similar to the PRS dragon's breath stain, but less orange than some examples I've seen. More of a blood-red (of course!)
There will be an angel-steppish maple top over the neck/wings.
Gloss finish.
prs-pauls-guitars-private-stock-4387-28-of-50-dragons-breath-201434-7-(5)_1b8af4e3030c.jpg

The other two V's (I call them Valkyries) are totally up in the air, though. One will maybe be a charcoal gray (satin finish)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IGC

Reaction score
Red to black fade, similar to the PRS dragon's breath stain, but less orange than some examples I've seen. More of a blood-red (of course!)
There will be an angel-steppish maple top over the neck/wings.
Gloss finish.
prs-pauls-guitars-private-stock-4387-28-of-50-dragons-breath-201434-7-(5)_1b8af4e3030c.jpg

The other two V's (I call them Valkyries) are totally up in the air, though. One will maybe be a charcoal gray (satin finish)

Dude, those guitars are gonna pop! :bowdown:Sorry if you all ready mentioned, are you an avid builder? It looks like your a pretty well rounded/experienced craftsman. Have a website?

MoonJelly

Reaction score
As of now I'm just an avid amateur craftsman :lol:
I have about a dozen projects I'm aiming to finish this year. Depending how it goes I may take a few steps toward making it 'legit' year next. So, no website yet...thanks for the props, though!

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Last week I finished my SC245 semi-hollow and continued working on my first 7-string guitar. As I wanted to build without tropical woods this time, I selected european walnut for the body, oak/maple/oak for the neck and flamed hornbeam for the fretboard. This one's going to be multiscale with ABM single string bridges and locking Hipshot Open Gear tuners.

IGC

Reaction score
Last week I finished my SC245 semi-hollow and continued working on my first 7-string guitar. As I wanted to build without tropical woods this time, I selected european walnut for the body, oak/maple/oak for the neck and flamed hornbeam for the fretboard. This one's going to be multiscale with ABM single string bridges and locking Hipshot Open Gear tuners.

Nice! More pics please!

neun Arme

Reaction score

I like that, I wanna see more.

rich_chaffins

Reaction score
Hey, guys! Some great looking stuff on the thread!
Here's what's on my bench this week. Took my first foray into stainless steel frets this week. Man, those things are HARD!
16730184_1377007069037656_1195916200883190835_n.jpg

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Here's what's on my bench this week. Took my first foray into stainless steel frets this week. Man, those things are HARD!

Is that a cherry top on your Tele? Whatever it is - i like it!

Regarding the stainless steel frets: what tools do you use? I still use 18% nickel because I'm too afraid to ruin my tools.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score

Regarding the stainless steel frets: what tools do you use? I still use 18% nickel because I'm too afraid to ruin my tools.

I have a stew mac Z file and their fret nipper and I'm pretty sure I notched my fret nipper on the SS frets. They are serious business. Hopefully my Z file is okay. I'm switching back to nickel for now until I can get build perfect guitars and it is worth it to have the more durable frets.

Deegatron

Reaction score
I have a stew mac Z file and their fret nipper and I'm pretty sure I notched my fret nipper on the SS frets. They are serious business. Hopefully my Z file is okay. I'm switching back to nickel for now until I can get build perfect guitars and it is worth it to have the more durable frets.

I've used the stumac regular diamond fret file on a couple of SS fret jobs and it still cuts just as good as ever. it loads up very quickly with SS dust so it needs to be vigorously cleaned often during use... I think that's why some guy's think they "wear out" with SS.... cuz they plug up and stop cutting...
either way, guitar looks great.

rich_chaffins

Reaction score

Thanks! The top (and the back) is koa. Hard to tell, since you usually only see the super-flamey stuff. Re: tools, same stuff as I've been using. The Stewmac nippers worked great, although it did take more effort. It's harder and more brittle...the nippers don't sink into it like with nickel. Keep squeezing, and it eventually snaps.

looking good, really dig that the fretboard. is it ziricote?

Appreciate it! It's a really nice board of Macassar ebony.

IGC

Reaction score
Thanks! The top (and the back) is koa. Hard to tell, since you usually only see the super-flamey stuff. Re: tools, same stuff as I've been using. The Stewmac nippers worked great, although it did take more effort. It's harder and more brittle...the nippers don't sink into it like with nickel. Keep squeezing, and it eventually snaps.

Appreciate it! It's a really nice board of Macassar ebony.

Good bit of info about the ss fretwire and how it is on nippers, I have a 6 foot roll of jumbo ss fretwire I plan on fretting my tree guitar with. Maybe I will cutt the individual pieces off the roll with my 3 inch high speed cut off wheel and then file the ends after mounting or something. Good bit of info though thanks.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Hey, guys! Some great looking stuff on the thread!
16730184_1377007069037656_1195916200883190835_n.jpg

haha, yes stainless is hard, and not nice to your tools either... But I love it, use stainless on all my builds these days. But man, nice tele. If I had to build one, it'd look pretty much like that. Solid work.

IGC

Reaction score
So happy my "hand made" fret wire press caul matches the R. 19.25 fret board, yay! Piecing together two more builds for this year: curly maple/wall nut 5 piece necks, curly poplar spacer pieces, ash wings, gaboon ebony fret boards. Drop tops will probably be some combination of figured maple/ wall nut.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
Totally geeking out over new templates. My wife doesn't get it at all lol.
P90, mini hum, and 3 different brand-specific humbuckers, in 6 and 7 sizes.

screen shot pc

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Totally geeking out over new templates. My wife doesn't get it at all lol.
P90, mini hum, and 3 different brand-specific humbuckers, in 6 and 7 sizes.

https://postimg.org/image/syl0zkpsf/screen shot pc

Oh that's cool. I just checked out their site since you mentioned brand specific templates. I've made my own so far but not as precise as I'd like them, so may have to pick up some of these.

electriceye

Reaction score
Potvin is a good man. He didn't have a '67 Gibson V template set and made one just for me (he'll make anyone just about ANYTHING if you ask). I think you can order it on his site now. I'll be buying a LOT more from him.

I credit Sully, btw. He mentioned the guy in one of his videos and that's when I checked him out. Amazing products.

Latest posts

')