What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrYakob

Reaction score
Potvin is THE man, got my 4th set of templates coming in today actually. Doesn't hurt that we live in the same city so I can feel good about supporting a local dude doing good work!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
The beginning stages of my next build. Will be very similar to the build I did last year, based off that shape and scale length, with a few differences though.

IMG_2091_zpsoefbjkto.jpg

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Looking good so far, what are the different wood type specs?

Wenge and black cherry body, and for the neck it has wenge and the other wood if I remember correctly was a piece of Honduran mahogany. I bought it several years ago and left it in a closet until recently.

This one will be a 7 string, fanned fret 27-25.5, set neck construction, also, thinking maybe using just one pickup, not 100% decided yet.

IGC

Reaction score
Wenge and black cherry body, and for the neck it has wenge and the other wood if I remember correctly was a piece of Honduran mahogany. I bought it several years ago and left it in a closet until recently.

This one will be a 7 string, fanned fret 27-25.5, set neck construction, also, thinking maybe using just one pickup, not 100% decided yet.

Sweet! I checked out your other build, very nice!

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Nice templates! May I ask how you rout the small corner radius?

With great care and attention....

Actually, I have a trim router with a "stubby" 1/4 inch bit that can get the corner radius. I set the speed on my router at about 30% so it won't scorch the corners. Only about 1/2" is the cutting part of the bit, and the rest is just the shaft of the bit, resting on the template. I kinda sweat bullets the first time I tried it but it worked like a charm.

P.S. I also put a smidge of pro-cut on the bit first (same stuff you would use when cutting inlay) but I don't know how much difference it made.

I'm at work now but I'll upload a pic of it tomorrow :yesway:

Knarbens

Montag Custom Guitars
Reaction score
With great care and attention....

Actually, I have a trim router with a "stubby" 1/4 inch bit that can get the corner radius. I set the speed on my router at about 30% so it won't scorch the corners. Only about 1/2" is the cutting part of the bit, and the rest is just the shaft of the bit, resting on the template. I kinda sweat bullets the first time I tried it but it worked like a charm.

P.S. I also put a smidge of pro-cut on the bit first (same stuff you would use when cutting inlay) but I don't know how much difference it made.

I'm at work now but I'll upload a pic of it tomorrow :yesway:

That has been my guess. I thought about riding the shaft along a template, but never tried it. Guess the trick is to guide the bit along the template, not to push it too much against it?

MoonJelly

Reaction score
That's probably even better! I thought I'd get a pic today but got rain instead :(
Ah, the perils of a back porch workshop.

MikeNeal

Reaction score
For tight corners like that, try a miniature template bit from Amana Tool. They make a long one and a short one.

i've heard that the bearings like to explode on those bits. any personal experience with them? i am seriously considering picking up the short one. since i'm not the biggest fan of running on the shank of a 1/4" bit

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
i've heard that the bearings like to explode on those bits. any personal experience with them? i am seriously considering picking up the short one. since i'm not the biggest fan of running on the shank of a 1/4" bit

I use the short one fairly often. The key is to do 99% of your material removal with a larger bit, then tighten up the corners with the mini bit. Also, drop your RPM and feed rate by around 25% because the bearing is really delicate.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
That follows with what I do with my little bit. I went ahead and ordered them and I noticed they post a warning about high rpms.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Yeah, I found one online a few weeks ago. That could be my choice.

Tried out the shaft on template method. Doesn't work for me as it damages/melts the acrylic templates I work with.

Build a 1/4" pin router jig!

20170126_193332_zpsemmp2mc7.jpg

It's not hard to make (if you have a router table) and gives pretty good results with whatever 1/4" bit you want.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Had very little time, so my 7 is moving along very slowly. Managed a first prototype assembly to check if all parts fit. Decided to go with a flat armrest, covered with walnut burl. The ABM are quite expensive, but have no dent to guide the strings. Going to try the Hipshot singles next time...

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Was about time for JEM - build started yesterday. Swamp ash body, 5-piece neck (flamed maple+rosewood), ebony ferret, Edge Pro, Hipshot open gear, 3+3 headstock, Titan & LiquiFire with Blackout Modular preamp. Used my first spokewheel trussrod for better stability...

Last edited:

Latest posts

')