What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

electriceye

Reaction score
I agree - have seen the idea poo poo'd in a few other forums. I think technically it should be better than a flat beam (so long as you don't have compound radiused board). I worked out great, this time (which is my 2nd attempt at fret level).

I actually saw something on this yesterday. I think the reason pertains to the belief that if your board isn't perfectly level you will transfer that unevenness to the frets by using the radius block. But certainly don't take my word on it. I'm just now doing my very first fret job and I'm an idiot. :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeNeal

Reaction score
I actually saw something on this yesterday. I think the reason pertains to the belief that if your board isn't perfectly level you will transfer that unevenness to the frets by using the radius block. But certainly don't take my word on it. I'm just now doing my very first fret job and I'm an idiot. :D

If anything the radius beam should correct any unevenness that the frets had from an uneven board

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I think the reason pertains to the belief that if your board isn't perfectly level you will transfer that unevenness to the frets by using the radius block.
Whoever said that wasn't thinking straight (pun halfway intended). The length and straightness of your sanding tool of choice is what determines this, not the curve. Same as a leveling beam, if it's short then it'll wobble over the frets and not level them at all, a long one will level properly.

Walshy

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses regarding the radius beam. Makes sense now. So much geometry to take into account when building guitars!

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Eight string neck blank, tapered laminates.

I love a freshly sharpened wood plane...

36990780141_a4e009120a_k.jpg

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Oh my god I love those tapered stripes. That is a great idea. How did you cut the taper?

I've seen this done on a few other guitars before, not originally my idea, the taper matches the width the fretboard will be. Actually on this piece it's only the two inner Wenge strips that have a taper, all other pieces are straight and consistent from end to end. It'd take some insane patience to taper each individual laminate toward a common focal point... maybe some day, but not today. A lot of measuring goes into it, but basically I ran the strips under a router-thicknesing jig with one end propped up on a scrap piece of wood to make up the difference to be cut. Same way you'd cut a straight laminate, but with one end built up higher, with loads of measuring and adjusting where necessary.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I just cleaned and polished some gunky frets with some automotive deswirler I bought for finishing clearcoats, and it worked GREAT. The frets are shiny and slippery as hell now.

That guitar (my UV) still needs a fret job (came pretty bad from the factory) but I don't know that I've got the guts to attempt that on one of my factory guitars yet.

Walshy

Reaction score
I love the neck tapering idea. Wynn does this on his bass guitars. Check out the excellent Restrung documentary on YouTube where he talks about that feature (I think table ssw tapering jig) and shows off some Jimmy DiResta bandsaw skills to boot. Great one-man shop insight.

Your way is very accessible too. Probably how I would do it.

Walshy

Reaction score
African mahogany wings
Maple-wenge-maple neck thru
5A flamed maple top (to be stained Twin Peaks red room hue)
Evo gold fretwire
Ebony fretboard with flamed maple inlay
Some custom 'Agent Cooper coffe mug' tone and vol knobs I am doing
Fixed stainless steel bridge
SD SH-4 and SH-2 humbuckers

Mr_Mar10

*space for hire*
Reaction score
Currently a pile of body's & tops
Oh& a broken planer :(
Company sent wrong parts which foobard it up
Awaiting correct blades & new drive belt... grrrr

Kinda ground to a halt atm, much Purple Heart, zebrano, chestnut & iroko looking sad on the bench

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
doing some surgery to the strandberg. Dyed the back/sides black, installing magnets on the cavity cover, also dyed the cavity cover black.
36497109133_7d645cd190_c.jpg

also made the destroyer more sparkly.
37310926805_aea5d1bb41_c.jpg

Reaction score
What's the black stuff you spilled on that fretboard? Also, change your links from "https" to "http", they didn't work for me.

Can't edit the post.

Minwax black stain. I made a mistake while attempting to sand/stain the neck. It's a long story.
I ended up painting it, though.
http://imgur.com/MynGUIL
http://imgur.com/ZmPEGhV

I don't think changing it to http changes anything, traffic between you and IMGUR is encrypted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

')