What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Undertaking my first refret, on my trusty Ibanez acoustic. Switching to jumbo gold EVO frets, because why not.

IMG_20170920_030753.jpg

Gold frets would look good on that guitar anyway.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Been away for a while, but here's what I'm working on at the moment:

8 String Multiscale
0jB4IJS.png

R3RX46I.png

27 Frets, Bocote neck. Note that the headstock hasn't been cut out yet.

PilhfA7.png

zeYc1ai.png

A Macassar Ebony Neck that I don't really have any plans for yet.

EV5BV7Y.png

Got some stuff ordered to finally finish this one up

Jwsfp6V.png

And lastly two bodies, the V is a replacement body for an old BC Rich that was my first guitar. The Singlecut I think will end up getting swirled.

fFqcqwa.png

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
How difficult is it to get the neck blank flat and true with a plane??

It depends a lot on the tool and set up too. Ideally you want a real hard steel, sharp enough to shave with and start with the blade low enough to barely take material off. The finest little fillets that you can achieve at first, then extend the blade lower if necessary to speed up the process. Also depends on what direction you cut at it, it may have some tear out at first, if that happens come at it from the opposite direction.

Planing is never the last step for me though. The most flat and precise face of the neck comes from sanding against a piece of marble as a sanding block. Makes the wood flat as a sheet of glass.

A good trick is to mark the face of the wood over with pencil lines, then sand til all the lines disappear, it’ll show you the low spots.

Last edited:

skewkus13

Reaction score
It depends a lot on the tool and set up too. Ideally you want a real hard steel, sharp enough to shave with and start with the blade low enough to barely take material off. The finest little fillets that you can achieve at first, then extend the blade lower if necessary to speed up the process. Also depends on what direction you cut at it, it may have some tear out at first, if that happens come at it from the opposite direction.

Planing is never the last step for me though. The most flat and precise face of the neck comes from sanding against a piece of marble as a sanding block. Makes the wood flat as a sheet of glass.

A good trick is to mark the face of the wood over with pencil lines, then sand til all the lines disappear, it’ll show you the low spots.

How do you ensure the sides are all square to each other?

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
How hard if you have no experience with a plane like me?? Lol
Quite honestly, it took me a while to appreciate hand planes. Buy good ones with expensive blades, makes life a lot easier in the first step. After that, learn sharpening/adjusting it and just use it all the time...

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
How do you ensure the sides are all square to each other?

Check with a carpenters square, hold it at one end, match it up to your laminates and/or sides, shave off more or less on one area of the face of the neck if necessary until it matches the square.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Been away for a while, but here's what I'm working on at the moment...

Let's try that again with links that work!

8 String Multiscale Headless:

IMG_8909.png

IMG_8911.png

IMG_8912.png

IMG_8913.png

IMG_8916.png

Ordered parts to (finally) finish this up:
IMG_8919.png

Two bodies, the V being a replacement body for my first guitar:
IMG_8921.png

A Macassar Ebony neck that I don't really have any plans for at the moment. Thinking a basic 7 string super strat.
IMG_8922.png

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Ha, glad you got the pics working finally!
A super lightweight 8 in the works. Obeche and graphite-reinforced redwood. It'll be a semihollow body with either an angel step maple, or feathered walnut top.
Fretboard will probably be that pistachio I've had around forever.

Once my bro's guitar is finished (this week, it will be done!) I've got four 8s I'm planning to build side by side, a la MikeNeal style.

warped

Reaction score
Nice Goatchrist - really cool design. I don't understand what is going on with the pickup and bridge routes that seem to go into some kind of cavity - very interested to see how this one turns out

')