What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
this is the first guitar i'm building, with the help of a friend who is runing a small custom shop here in Italy.

a little bit of miastakes but it could have been waaaay worse than this!
22046980_10212746392368621_1310911674545338529_n.jpg

22046693_10212746391968611_2335570400091248450_n.jpg

Is that a purple heart body? I just made a pair of purple heart fretboard blanks yesterday... that stuff is so hard, that's insane. Hardest wood I have worked with so far.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FetzEgemony

Reaction score
Is that a purple heart body? I just made a pair of purple heart fretboard blanks yesterday... that stuff is so hard, that's insane. Hardest wood I have worked with so far.
it is mate, it is..
i think that was the worst possible decision i could opt for as body wood..

it's super hard, tends to chip whiile routing (this is the first time i'm using a router aswell so that might actually be my fault, not wood's) and it is probably heavier than Venus' core...

but hey, i learned something :nlb:

electriceye

Reaction score
it is mate, it is..
i think that was the worst possible decision i could opt for as body wood..

it's super hard, tends to chip whiile routing (this is the first time i'm using a router aswell so that might actually be my fault, not wood's) and it is probably heavier than Venus' core...

but hey, i learned something :nlb:

I'm also curious to see how it ages. They tend to turn brown.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Currently milling a gigantic oak radius block to level the frets on my recently acquired ibanez. Radius is 15.8 inches. 15.75 for the fretboard plus 0.05 for the frets themselves.

IMG_20171017_180520.jpg

Overkill? Probably. But at least I know it won't warp out of true.

Of course the next step is to just level and crown my frets with a diamond bur grinding bit, but I don't have the guts for that yet.

Klzow

Reaction score
Been working on a new guitar shape for my first headless build. This is whats on the digital workbench at the moment. Some things left to fix but overall it is starting to look good.

Attachments

• Body.JPG
    Body.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 43

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
Been working on a new guitar shape for my first headless build. This is whats on the digital workbench at the moment. Some things left to fix but overall it is starting to look good.
I think the shape at the end is too 'round' for the horns.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Did you apply any clear coating to these samples?

Yeah, a few different types.

The first one basically had nothing - I tried wiping some shellac on but ended up wiping it off trying to buff it too quickly.

The second photo the blue one on the left has blue-tinted poly on it. The one on the right also does, but it is less tinted and thinner. The ones underneath the one on the right have varying degrees of poly or tinted poly on them.

The final one just has clear poly on it - one coat, wet at the time of the photo. Since then, the red leeched out and made it look a bit muddy. Gonna have to figure out how to avoid that in the future. Probably need to let it dry more between steps. And maybe put oil-based clear or shellac between the dye and the final water-based clear coats.

I'm also still getting pitting when I try to rub out a gloss finish, but I have a feeling that's just because a single day isn't long enough to cure :)

Did this one this afternoon to try out some new dyes. Would be fun on a guitar.
IMG_20171103_172254_1509753986795.jpg

This one doesn't have any clear on it in that photo. Might still be wet though.

IGC

Reaction score
Yeah, a few different types.

The first one basically had nothing - I tried wiping some shellac on but ended up wiping it off trying to buff it too quickly.

The second photo the blue one on the left has blue-tinted poly on it. The one on the right also does, but it is less tinted and thinner. The ones underneath the one on the right have varying degrees of poly or tinted poly on them.

The final one just has clear poly on it - one coat, wet at the time of the photo. Since then, the red leeched out and made it look a bit muddy. Gonna have to figure out how to avoid that in the future. Probably need to let it dry more between steps. And maybe put oil-based clear or shellac between the dye and the final water-based clear coats.

I'm also still getting pitting when I try to rub out a gloss finish, but I have a feeling that's just because a single day isn't long enough to cure :)

Did this one this afternoon to try out some new dyes. Would be fun on a guitar.
View attachment 57004
This one doesn't have any clear on it in that photo. Might still be wet though.

Interesting, thanks for the share!

Omzig

Reaction score
Nice dye's LiveOVErdrive I haven't had much of a play with dye's and stains myself apart from one build ive always gone with clears/oils or soild paint jobs,might be time to buy a sample pack of some and have a play,that is after i finish messing with getting the 80's lava/crackle finish im currently playing with down ;)

So this is almost done,2 fecking years on.....this refinish has been my nemisis! if it could go wrong it went wrong from the first coat of paints not curing (plasikote) to the clear reacting on the 2nd repaint....blah blah blah i almost set fire to the thing

fw7rbd.jpg

Just got to cut down and mod the wang bar to have a set of grip o'rings on the tip like my other mavricks (ringed from her pleasure) as the org bar was missing when i brought it and maverick parts are expensive/hard to find.

')