What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omzig

Reaction score
Thx LiveOVErdrive glad yo dig the bubblegum pink...kinda reminds me of the colour adrian vandenberg had on that Peavey he played back in the 80's,so despite all the shit it gave me im glad i stuck at it as im really happy with how it turned out

As for the Pup's no not dragonfire but standard Maverick f1/3/x1 pups from the first gen/run of maverick guitars,all designed by trevor wilkinson,i pulled these out of a Maverick X1 i have that's also on the refinish pile,as the Duncan D's the last owner installed were pretty trashed/rusty (the guitar stored was in a part converted damp barn when i got it...) there pretty good pup's but i have an unused set of tesla zebra VR Extremes that are going in it tomorrow,i'll try and throw a thread up once it's all done..not sure if i kept many progress pics as it was well pissing me off at the time ;)

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
IMG_20171106_023020.jpg

Whipped up a dummy load to test out a few solid state amp boards.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
From what I understand the amp needs to be under full load and just before clipping to get the most accurate reading off a multimeter, and the closest resemblance to real world use.

saved

Reaction score
When i am talking about my GF,you know what i mean..not girl friend (i am married allready) but goat friend :)

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
I moved into a new house, so re-setting up my shop space from scratch. Lots of work but the payoff is that I have a LOT more room to work with. I think the area on the right is what I'll dedicate for wood working, there is a garage door opening up to the back yard just to the right at the start of the video. Far left will eventually become dedicated studio/recording space. Today's job is patching the leaking concrete and water sealing it with Xypex concentrate. Cool stuff from the videos I've seen, it's moisture activated and creates a crystalline structure that seeps and fills all of the pores in the concrete.

On my "work bench" is my ET build, doing a pickup swap but I didn't make the pockets deep enough for the new pickups (previous were much shallower), so had to disassemble everything and carefully route a little deeper. Went with the Nazgul/Sentient combo and really digging that.

Can't figure out how to embed video here yet, so here is a link.
http://www.kylerice.com/pictures/Guitar/shop/20171112_182555.mp4

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Can anyone comment as to whether it is worth it to buy a 6 inch benchtop buffer/grinder for buffing out gloss finishes? I've tried the foam buffing wheel attachments for my drill but they just don't seem to work for me as well as hand buffing, and I'm wondering if a proper wheel would be better.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Can anyone comment as to whether it is worth it to buy a 6 inch benchtop buffer/grinder for buffing out gloss finishes? I've tried the foam buffing wheel attachments for my drill but they just don't seem to work for me as well as hand buffing, and I'm wondering if a proper wheel would be better.
Never mind. Turns out my finish is just too soft, even after months of curing. I can still mark it with a fingernail. Probably applied it too thick or something.

(or water based finish just isn't going to work)

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Never mind. Turns out my finish is just too soft, even after months of curing. I can still mark it with a fingernail. Probably applied it too thick or something.

(or water based finish just isn't going to work)
that was my experience with water based polycrylic. Took around 4 months or more to properly cure with the multiple layers I had on it. I'd never use it again just due to how long it took to cure.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
that was my experience with water based polycrylic. Took around 4 months or more to properly cure with the multiple layers I had on it. I'd never use it again just due to how long it took to cure.

It never cures, I gave up using that stuff years ago.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Picked up my painted parts today. This will be an Apex-inspired Strat: matte black pickguard and pink Aftermaths...

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score

It never cures, I gave up using that stuff years ago.

I've tried polycrylic and had the same experience. This stuff is the varathane gloss floor finish, which I thought was better, but it still seems to be not good enough. I have some "aquacoat water based lacquer" I'm going to try but I don't have high hopes for it.

Do I have any good options for high gloss other than 2k? I really don't want to deal with 2k, or spraying anything that isn't water based.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I've tried polycrylic and had the same experience. This stuff is the varathane gloss floor finish, which I thought was better, but it still seems to be not good enough. I have some "aquacoat water based lacquer" I'm going to try but I don't have high hopes for it.

Do I have any good options for high gloss other than 2k? I really don't want to deal with 2k, or spraying anything that isn't water based.
someone recommended the behlen rock hard table top finish to me, haven't tried it yet. you could also try an epoxy finish, it'll be harder than a rock.

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
I'm trying out the General Finishes water based products. I bought satin and gloss, have only used the satin so far using the brush on method. It dried really fast, although I didn't put on enough coats to buff out. Going to try spraying next time as well. I'm hoping the gloss works out, I'm in the same boat with not wanting to use 2K.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I've found rumors online that say you can spray and even maybe cure lacquer outside in the winter (curing in a non-heated garage). Apparently the low humidity offsets the coldness somewhat. Might have to give that a try.

')