What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omzig

Reaction score
Been given this Rg550 body 3pc basswood (told it was stripped about 18 years ago so late 90/2000'ish id guess )

20swwfc.jpg

Gave it a quick sand over to remove the filler and what ever the fuck else had been spread on it,Trem pocket/post holes are a mess so im going to route out a 25mm deep channel from the whole center from the neck pocket down and fill it with a block of ash and re-route the trem and go for my fav HS pup layout

10y30xh.jpg

after that's done i think i'll use this one for some swirl/drip paint tests

Check out the factory filler and knot! ouch

a3phya.jpg
qoj5as.jpg

Omzig

Reaction score
Nice reminder of why guitars get painted!

yep i guess you can use just anything as long as you can buy it in paint and clear ;)

Talking of paint ,why i let my ibby/tele thing cure i though id drag out a few other projects id started last summer but never got around to finishing....

Charvel specturm re-re-finsh...org blue refinished in tango orange a year or so ago,lent it to a mate and it came back chipped on the horns and around trem cavitiy grrr so i re-re-finished it in Cherry/Red metallic and let the clear blow off for 6 months.

34gx7au.jpg

i74ksm.jpg

Still got a bit of flatting to do inside the horns and a few spots that need a little more cutting + i need to get a decal cut for the headstock,but im pretty happy with it atm, not bad for cheap £3 a pop rattle cans.

penguin_316

Reaction score
This may sound a bit crazy, but how possible would it be to build a guitar from scratch only using hand tools? (besides generic tools like a drill). I've been trying to figure out if it's possible for the past year.... oh apartment life!

You’re going to want to use a plunging router with the appropriate bits. Chiseling is not only harder, but a lot less accurate. Routers are one of the most dangerous tools I use, make sure you know how they work and how the bit spins. For real, before you use one please watch some tutorials.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
You’re going to want to use a plunging router with the appropriate bits. Chiseling is not only harder, but a lot less accurate. Routers are one of the most dangerous tools I use, make sure you know how they work and how the bit spins. For real, before you use one please watch some tutorials.
It can be done though, but as shown in this video it is a LOT of work. Even if you replaced the hand drill with a cordless one.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I actually backed out of doing this and found a local wood shop to go to. I pay a monthly fee but it's definitely worth it.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I actually backed out of doing this and found a local wood shop to go to. I pay a monthly fee but it's definitely worth it.
I wish there was something like that around where i live! I would do it in a heart beat! The hardest thing that is holding up my build is a lack of tools and materials! Having a "subscription" shop would make everything that much simpler!

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I wish there was something like that around where i live! I would do it in a heart beat! The hardest thing that is holding up my build is a lack of tools and materials! Having a "subscription" shop would make everything that much simpler!
Search for Maker Spaces or Hacker Spaces. They are all over the world. The one I go to is the 2nd biggest in the country.

Omzig

Reaction score
Search for Maker Spaces or Hacker Spaces. They are all over the world. The one I go to is the 2nd biggest in the country.

I had a quick look at the UK version which is called fizzpop,closest one to me was about 25mile round trip + £300/$400 a year access fee,i was going to pop in to check out there openbuilds cnc setup but open night is 7-10pm wed only and it's not located in the nicest part of the city,still a great option if you haven't got space at home or outlay for kit.

Started to rebuild my overarm pin router setup,old one kind worked OK but was made to fit my pillar drill base so i had to keep removing it everytime i wanted to use the drill and it was a PITA to fine adjust...this is just the head setup sofar and uses some T8 thread and diy CNC parts + draw runners and pipe clips,Has about 5" of travel

xdsehx.jpg

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I had a quick look at the UK version which is called fizzpop,closest one to me was about 25mile round trip + £300/$400 a year access fee,i was going to pop in to check out there openbuilds cnc setup but open night is 7-10pm wed only and it's not located in the nicest part of the city,still a great option if you haven't got space at home or outlay for kit.
That's actually really nice considering I pay $40 a month. Thankfully though I live 15 minutes away from the space from both work and home. It's also open 24/7 so I can go whenever I feel like.

I'd love a pin router at the space. Makes template routing so much easier.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score

Started to rebuild my overarm pin router setup,old one kind worked OK but was made to fit my pillar drill base so i had to keep removing it everytime i wanted to use the drill and it was a PITA to fine adjust...this is just the head setup sofar and uses some T8 thread and diy CNC parts + draw runners and pipe clips,Has about 5" of travel

xdsehx.jpg
I was just about to tune up my own pin router again. Mine is reversed from yours, with the router in a table and the pin on top.

I have a cnc machine but I think the best usage in the future might be to use it to make templates and fretboards and do much of the main work with the pin router. That way I can gauge the cutting speed and such by hand and feel. Less likely to make mistakes, and less issues with having to block an hour of machine time and hope everything works perfectly.

Omzig

Reaction score
I was just about to tune up my own pin router again. Mine is reversed from yours, with the router in a table and the pin on top.

I have a cnc machine but I think the best usage in the future might be to use it to make templates and fretboards and do much of the main work with the pin router. That way I can gauge the cutting speed and such by hand and feel. Less likely to make mistakes, and less issues with having to block an hour of machine time and hope everything works perfectly.

I had (it's packed up now) a table router but i couldn't stop it grabbing and so i never felt safe using it ;) overarm is just as deadly no doubt but it strangely feels safer! i was tossing up between cnc and pin/templates but after seeing all the issues across the web with calibartion/errors ect ect i decided to get my templates cut elsewhere then go the pin way,i'll see how it goes can always get a cnc setup in the future.

So got the pin router head setup mounted and wanted to give it a quick run out just using some guide bits (getting a guide pin insert set up milled) so i ripped out the center mess of the above RG550 body and slapped a core of ash in there

35d9r3n.jpg

Once it's sealed and white this one is up for some swirly/neon drip paint tests.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Been dealing with some really bad depression the past few months that sapped any and all motivation to work on my projects. I am feeling better now, and am continuing work. I made a stand for my headphones out of some scrap flame maple and wenge from some of my builds. Putting a couple of coats of epoxy finish on it.

IMG_8990.jpg

Trying to get the pickups finished for my second build (http://sevenstring.org/threads/second-build-multi-scale-seven.288051/) which I should have finished by the end of this week. I have one more bobbin to wind and then I can wire them up and wax pot them.

IMG_8992.jpg

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I was hoping you would get back to your PU build! Those are sick and I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Where did you get all of the components for the pickups?

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Thanks! I got the wire, slugs, pole pieces, phenolic standoffs, magnets, and wiring from Monotone. Edit: Mojotone not monotone

Last edited:

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
F83048E2-32BF-450E-A799-381CFAF24B27.jpeg

Finally got around to building a proper current limiter. I had most of the parts on hand so it only cost me $10 out of pocket. It’s probably in the neighborhood of $35 to build, which is still not bad.