What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Been dealing with some really bad depression the past few months that sapped any and all motivation to work on my projects. I am feeling better now, and am continuing work. I made a stand for my headphones out of some scrap flame maple and wenge from some of my builds. Putting a couple of coats of epoxy finish on it.

View attachment 67850

Trying to get the pickups finished for my second build (http://sevenstring.org/threads/second-build-multi-scale-seven.288051/) which I should have finished by the end of this week. I have one more bobbin to wind and then I can wire them up and wax pot them.

View attachment 67851

Well done for battling through it. :) It's great that you're back at being creative!

electriceye

Reaction score
Been dealing with some really bad depression the past few months that sapped any and all motivation to work on my projects. I am feeling better now, and am continuing work. I made a stand for my headphones out of some scrap flame maple and wenge from some of my builds. Putting a couple of coats of epoxy finish on it.

Good for you, Taylor. You’re not alone, brother. It’s a constant battle for me. I find that I feel better the more time I spend in my shop. Crank up the music and build. It’s great therapy.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
I'm the complete opposite, working in the shop only makes me more depressed after all the mistakes I make.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I'm the complete opposite, working in the shop only makes me more depressed after all the mistakes I make.
Man as someone who is new to wood working and guitar building, nothing makes me more depressed then leaving the shop after hours of work only to have mistakes and backwards progress.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
It's the fuckin worst. I built two guitars for myself and just finished up one for a friend, and I'll likely never build again.
I know that feeling haha. I have been working on a strandberg copy forever, and after so many mistakes I finally said screw it, set it on fire (very therapeutic) and made it “distressed” :lol: I have no desire to do it again, unless I magically fall into a wood shop with all the actual tools needed to do it more precisely, and more easily.

0717C2F4-06AD-4E6B-AC9E-1B956E0AC414.jpeg

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I used to be that way, but I recently decide to build with really really cheap parts and wood just to practice and it has taken a lot of pressure off and made it much more fun and relaxing. When you're not trying to build your ULTIMATE IDEAL PERFECT GUITAR and just building something for fun and practice it's a huge load off the mind.

That's sort of what the budget Build Challenge thread I just started is about.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Well unfortunately as a machinist as my profession and hobby I kinda have to strive for perfection, and it's not something I can really turn off and build casually.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Well unfortunately as a machinist as my profession and hobby I kinda have to strive for perfection, and it's not something I can really turn off and build casually.
I'm the same way, so I frame the build as "practice". The point is not to build a perfect instrument. It is to get reps in on the building techniques so I can build a perfect instrument later.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, making mistakes absolutely makes me feel depressed. But on the other hand, nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than when I leave the shop with actual progress. I just have to know that I will learn from my mistakes and fix them on the next build. I just have to sleep it off and move on.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I like the catharsis of destroying/burning my failed builds, well except for the headless 8 I tried to make, I can't bring myself to destroy that one yet (plus my lazy ass hasn't made a template of the design yet).

electriceye

Reaction score

LOL! Yeah, I can also see that point. Some nights, I just have to walk out of the shop. I'm in the middle of two superstrat builds, and I screw up so much when it comes to building the neck. It's been a rough and exciting couple of weeks for me.

electriceye

Reaction score
I know that feeling haha. I have been working on a strandberg copy forever, and after so many mistakes I finally said screw it, set it on fire (very therapeutic) and made it “distressed” :lol: I have no desire to do it again, unless I magically fall into a wood shop with all the actual tools needed to do it more precisely, and more easily.

View attachment 67888

I actually came back in here today because I was just starting to think about building a Strandberg copy (it's probably a better idea if I finish up the 6 builds I have in progress, but, whatever). One question: Do you HAVE to havea zero fret on those? If so, why?

Are there any sites dedicated to building headless guitars?

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I actually came back in here today because I was just starting to think about building a Strandberg copy (it's probably a better idea if I finish up the 6 builds I have in progress, but, whatever). One question: Do you HAVE to havea zero fret on those? If so, why?

Are there any sites dedicated to building headless guitars?
No you don’t have to. You can use a traditional nut and just slot it, and shape it at the correct angle. The zero fret just makes it easy to slap a nut in without too much effort just to keep the strings aligned.

I’m not aware of any sites dedicated to headless builds. I got the plans from Ola; before he started the production models. He gave permission to build his design as long as it was done at home (so you couldn’t take the plans to a luthier and have them build it for you). He had a blog a few years ago that went into his design philosophy. If it’s still up, that might be somewhat useful? I haven’t looked at it for a couple years so my memory on its contents are fuzzy.