What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Mar10

*space for hire*
Reaction score
Always thought this thread was about jigs n tools etc :)

Here is my current WIP.... 1 piece wavy mango top & chestnut dinky, Emg 81/85, hip shot tuners etc, nearly ready for 2 tone burst n oil :shred:
Too hot for sanding this week :0

IMG_0143.jpg

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
18920936_1995681363994499_2680208517745155520_o.jpg

Getting close to wrapping up this build now, the idiot that I am I dinged the neck finish while I was crowning my frets so Ive got it re-oiling now. Should be done very soon though!

Flamed Maple top, Black Walnut Body, Rosewood neck and a gaboon ebony fingerboard with hipshot hardware and blk tri pickups

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Was about time for JEM - build started yesterday. Swamp ash body, 5-piece neck (flamed maple+rosewood), ebony ferret, Edge Pro, Hipshot open gear, 3+3 headstock, Titan & LiquiFire with Blackout Modular preamp. Used my first spokewheel trussrod for better stability...

I just processed the "started yesterday" part of this post. Did you get some of the parts prefabricated or do you just work really fast?

Looks great, BTW. Very precise.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
As I can't complain about too much free time, I buy the neck blanks and body blanks pre-sawn/glued/planed to my specification. That way I can directly start sawing and routing the guitar/neck shape...

Edit:forgot to mention, the fretboard's CNC pre-slotted/radiused.

Last edited:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
As I can't complain about too much free time, I buy the neck blanks and body blanks pre-sawn/glued/planed to my specification. That way I can directly start sawing and routing the guitar/neck shape...

Edit:forgot to mention, the fretboard's CNC pre-slotted/radiused.

Nice. That's still a lit of work in a day. Nice work.

Mr_Mar10

*space for hire*
Reaction score
Looks epic, enjoy!! $$$$

What's the specs / details on that piece of awesomeness?
Was it an all in one setup or have you bought laptop/interface/Machine separately?

Last edited:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Looks epic, enjoy!! $$$$

What's the specs / details on that piece of awesomeness?
Was it an all in one setup or have you bought laptop/interface/Machine separately?

The machine is a Shapeoko XL from Carbide 3D. My old roommate from college (who's grad work kept him in a machine shop for many years) recommended it to me, and so far I love it! It is a pretty reasonably priced kit, and took me (who has never touched a cnc machine) only like 6 hours to assemble. Includes everything but the laptop. The spindle is just a 1.5hp Dewalt palm router, so any 1/4 inch bit can be used. Cutting area is something like 3ft by 1.5ft by 3in. Perfect for bodies and necks :)

I'm just getting started with fusion 360 and such, but so far it is a ton of fun. Hoping to do my next build mostly on this. Especially the fretboard. (with inlays!)

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
The machine is a Shapeoko XL from Carbide 3D. My old roommate from college (who's grad work kept him in a machine shop for many years) recommended it to me, and so far I love it! It is a pretty reasonably priced kit, and took me (who has never touched a cnc machine) only like 6 hours to assemble. Includes everything but the laptop. The spindle is just a 1.5hp Dewalt palm router, so any 1/4 inch bit can be used. Cutting area is something like 3ft by 1.5ft by 3in. Perfect for bodies and necks :)

I'm just getting started with fusion 360 and such, but so far it is a ton of fun. Hoping to do my next build mostly on this. Especially the fretboard. (with inlays!)

Man that looks fun. so you can use it for simple operations like milling a blank flat and other things like carving out an entire body, cavities, arched tops... etc?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Man that looks fun. so you can use it for simple operations like milling a blank flat and other things like carving out an entire body, cavities, arched tops... etc?

Yep. I've got bits to do fret slots as well. And with some care I think I can mill circuit boards as well. And aluminum pedal/amp chassis. They're really useful for a lot of things.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Picked up a nice slab of Spanish Cedar and sectioned it into a pair of 3 piece rough cuts to begin building a couple bodies. The walnut piece will be book matched but I think I'll only be able to get one top set out of it. I don't wanna risk messing it up to try to slice it into two top sets so it'll just be a nice top for one of the builds and I'll get something different for the other body.
IMG_3564_zpsb9n6cuth.jpg

Two slightly different templates, the wood one for a 22 fret 6 string, the acrylic one for a 7 (maybe 8) string.
IMG_3566_zpsi00g3ypt.jpg

This Bastonge Walnut was kinda pricey but will be worth it when the finish is applied and that flame pops out...
IMG_3565_zpsrtp3rzy4.jpg

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
That walnut is amazing! :holy:

I'm also a big fan of cedar, had three necks made out of it for minimum weight.

NoSaintNick

Denvers finest garden level guitar repair
Reaction score
It's been a while since I read through the forum but I'm digging into again and actually have something to post these days. Starting with this Evertune install. I'll post updates as I dig into it. Just about to glue in the cavity blocks.

IMG_2089.JPG IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2095.JPGIMG_2100.JPG

')