What's something I could do to help my timing

Bcoble0927

Reaction score
I practice with the metronome, But I want to keep my solo's in time, some solo's I'm playing 16th notes at 200 bpm and I can't Keep up with it and knowing which note I was on when the beat hit, I know I can play it up to speed because I play along with it on powertab. What is somthing that I could do to help me out, I watch Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai play in time with no problem, does this sort of thing just take a lot of practicing with the metronome?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Record yourself playing to a click, then double track the same part. You'll easily hear where you become inconsistant.

Bcoble0927

Reaction score
Record yourself playing to a click, then double track the same part. You'll easily hear where you become inconsistant.

Thank you, I never really thought of that

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tapping your foot really helps. It really developed my timing.

:agreed: This is crucial. Work your rhythm playing as well, again, whilst always tapping your foot. Try strummy stuff and funk rhythm guitar, as that's great for developing timing. Funk rhythms are especially good for developing timing, as a lot of it's based on syncopated alternate picking/strumming. Also, find a (good) drummer to play with.

Bcoble0927

Reaction score
Yeah, I have always taped my foot, It helps a lot, I can keep rhythm in time good. As for the drummer, the band I'm in is hopefully about to get one, he is a great drummer, and great at keeping time. Some drummers around here don't even know what a eighth note is, which I think is very stupid. I think that should be the first thing you start learning when learning to play drums.

KillMAH

Mr. Fumblefingers
Reaction score
One very easy way to improve your timing is to play with a metronome, drum machine, etc. ALL THE TIME. Even when you just noodle around...that's probably when it's most important.

Recording over yourself (with a click of course) is also an excellent idea, but a bit less accessible.

Also, remember that it is much harder to play in time at SLOW speeds. Try slower speeds and work up. It seems stupid and boring, but you will improve RAPIDLY.

Skeletor

Reaction score
One way of keeping consistent rhythm at high tempos is to only play every other note. If it's all 16th notes, just play the ones that land on 8th notes. This will sound odd but you'll probably be able to keep it together no problem.

Latest posts

')