What's the average education level for metal heads? (Updated - Poll Inside)

• Thread starter Forresterc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What's your education level?

• Grade School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High School/GED

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Some College

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Associates/Trade School

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Bachelor's Degree

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Master's Degree

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Doctorate

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Forresterc

Reaction score
I've been wondering this for some time. Most of the really hardcore (as in hardcore music (as in genre)) metalhead musicians i know are in highschool, highschool dropouts with GEDs, or college dropouts. There are handful going to college and i don't know any that have finish with a bachelors (edit: i think i know one). So what do you guys know or think about this? and whats your experience? Also, what do you think the average education level in other genres are? I mostly interested in Jazz and classical, but i'm not limited to hearing about those.

-Unrelated, i'm in two bands. One is a death metal band and the other is my own prog rock band. In the prog rock band i'm the only one who listens to metal, so i'm the "metal" one in the group, but in the death metal band i'm as not-metal in that group as i am "metal" in my own.
I'm currently a sophomore at UNC majoring in physics and minoring in music. I love listening to Meshuggah and Opeth.

PS: I'm not saying more education makes someone write better music at all. I'm just curious about this.

Edit:I don't want just ur education level. This isn't a survey.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I'm a metalhead through-and-through, and I'm currently studying English Language, English Literature and Linguistics at the University of Edinburgh. According to certain sources, it's among the top twenty universities in the world. :D

Forresterc

Reaction score
I'm a metalhead through-and-through, and I'm currently studying English Language, English Literature and Linguistics at the University of Edinburgh. According to certain sources, it's among the top twenty universities in the world. :D

I have a feeling ss.org has a higher average education than the norm in most genres.

pineappleman

Why can I not sleep?
Reaction score
In my experience the "proggy" metalheads tend to be way more intelligent/educated than the metalheads that only listen to t3h br00talz.

FrankeR

Smooth Groove
Reaction score
Other people considered me intelligent, but I am in a lower educational level than I am supposed to be because I was too lazy to learn French in the first year on this school. I could easily do the highest level here but I am just too lazy.

Oww yeah, also doing Physics, Chemistry, Math and Engineering.
The level of education I am doing is called in dutch: Gemengde leerweg VMBO or VMBO-GT doing year 4 of 4 atm.

Mwoit

Reaction score

lolwut.

I'm at Edinburgh University as well doing Computer Science. w00t! Mate, we should meet up! :hbang:

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Studying for a Masters Degree in Physics at the University of St Andrews, apparently one of the top universities in the UK, if newpapers are to be believed.

Although I'm probably not what you'd describe as a metal head.

Forresterc

Reaction score
I didn't want a resume list. If all u have to post is ur own education plz don't, contribute something for thought first. This isn't suppose to be a survey. Sorry if i caused confusion.

shadowsea

Reaction score
in college, making A's. Used to be a metal head way more than i am now though

avenger

Reaction score
In my experience the "proggy" metalheads tend to be way more intelligent/educated than the metalheads that only listen to t3h br00talz.
They think they are so much smarter then everyone else. Maybe it gives off some sort of illusion or something. I find them to be pretentious wankers.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
GED.

School wasn't for me. I went through all four years of high school and was looking at a 5-6 year plan because I'd just fail every class due to cutting classes/not doing homework. I understood everything, just had no interest in following the curriculum. I went and got my GED in a day right after my senior year.

If this accounts to anything, my IQ scored a 136. I really don't believe that going to school your first 18 years a life will do much but give you a social life and get the idea that you'll have to deal with bullshit for the rest of your life.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I have an undergrad degree in Math and am working on a Master's in Computer Science. I'm in a power metal band with 2 current undergrads and 2 high school grads with no university experience. They represent most people I know in the music scene here: they're either still in school or never went. By the time people graduate it seems they tend to drift away from being in bands.

pineappleman

Why can I not sleep?
Reaction score
They think they are so much smarter then everyone else. Maybe it gives off some sort of illusion or something. I find them to be pretentious wankers.

...By "proggy" here I don't mean "ejaculates to Dream Theater and is in a band that sounds exactly like Dream Theater". If that's what you thought I meant. I actually meant people that listen to other genres in addition to metal. And tend to listen to metal that's NOT always about appearing as br00tal as possible as if you're compensating for something. A la Periphery, BTBAM, Devin Townsend, Painted in Exile, etc.

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
Honestly, I just graduated high school back in 03, and now I help my cousin run her business.
If there is anyone in/around San Antonio that is willing to spend a decent amount to have an epic cake made and delivered, hit me up!
Company is called Cakes by Nisa, and 3/4's of our clientele are MILFS. :lol:

')