What's the average education level for metal heads? (Updated - Poll Inside)

• Thread starter Forresterc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What's your education level?

• Grade School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High School/GED

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Some College

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Associates/Trade School

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Bachelor's Degree

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Master's Degree

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Doctorate

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Working on my Associates in Business Management, then possibly working towards an Associates in Audio Production.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I think I've seen threads about how smart metalheads are on just about every discussion board I've ever been to. This doesn't make me think they're particularly smart, but rather that they tend to be fairly insecure.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
I think I've seen threads about how smart metalheads are on just about every discussion board I've ever been to. This doesn't make me think they're particularly smart, but rather that they tend to be fairly insecure.

I think that it's fine to compare notes... the vast majority of posts are people sharing common interests and educational backgrounds. There's only a few people who talk about IQ or how much smarter metal-heads are than average.

Insecurity is where you feel threatened. This is more of a celebration of the hard work and accomplishment that the people on this board have collectively achieved. There's no poo-pooing of those who left school early or have families to support - we're all in this together, after all, and life circumstances vary.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I think that it's fine to compare notes... the vast majority of posts are people sharing common interests and educational backgrounds. There's only a few people who talk about IQ or how much smarter metal-heads are than average.

Insecurity is where you feel threatened. This is more of a celebration of the hard work and accomplishment that the people on this board have collectively achieved. There's no poo-pooing of those who left school early or have families to support - we're all in this together, after all, and life circumstances vary.

I was commenting more on having seen this topic pop up in so many places than on the individual responses of the people in this particular thread. This place seems to be a bit more tight-knit than some other forums that have a really high turnover rate of newcomers (like on MySpace), so it's a little closer to a group of acquaitances talking about their backgrounds. In the larger places, it tends to feel like a bunch of strangers eager to reaffirm just how very smart they are, and how the group they most associate themselves with is clearly superior to other groups in some way.

Iono. Perhaps I read too much into it.

Reaction score
I'm almost finished with a Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science/Information Systems... At my University, Computer Science and various Engineering majors are all part of the same college, and I've seen plenty of metal head Engineering/CS students walking around campus...

Reaction score
Honestly, I just graduated high school back in 03, and now I help my cousin run her business.
If there is anyone in/around San Antonio that is willing to spend a decent amount to have an epic cake made and delivered, hit me up!
Company is called Cakes by Nisa, and 3/4's of our clientele are MILFS. :lol:

Cake? MILFs? Awwwwright.

How do we get in on said cake/MILF action?

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
PhD Candidate in Computer Science. Unfortunately it decreases the amount of time I get to work on music :(

KenAncients

Reaction score
Progressive Deathmetal head, Music theory classes at Howard Paine University, straight A's in high school and managing my own million dollar store at the age of 22. :)

Antimatter

Reaction score
I listen to a lot of proggy stuff and also really crazy jumpy stuff like Psyopus
I'm only in high school, but if it counts, I've got all accelerated classes and a 4.0 GPA

TraitorsEyes

Reaction score
This is my last semester for my BS in Electrical Engineering. Hopefully I have a job lined up after graduation in December.

As far as metal leanings go, I'd say it's more towards shreddy, slightly prog that's heavy/aggressive. Stuff like Arsis, All Shall Perish, August Burns Red, Darkest Hour, Protest the Hero, The Human Abstract.

Do I look like a metalhead? Nah, I just have a penchant for Threadless shirts (can't beat cool, CHEAP shirts) and dark wash boot cut jeans.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Do I look like a metalhead? Nah, I just have a penchant for Threadless shirts (can't beat cool, CHEAP shirts)

:wub:

I know maybe, 2 other people, in the past 5 years who've known about Threadless. They rule

revclay

Reaction score
While these two links don't spell out the average education level of metal listeners, they both show that there is a correlation between high intelligence and listening to metal.

Psychology of Heavy Metal Music: Effects on Mood, Aggression, Suicide, Drug Use and Intelligence
Intelligence
Interestingly, college students whose musical preferences are alternative, rock or heavy metal actually obtain higher IQ test scores on average, particularly on questions where abstraction is required. Some studies have also found high intelligence among adolescent heavy metal listeners.

Heavy metal 'a comfort for the bright child' - Telegraph

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Graduated high school in '06, and am currently working through an advanced diploma of commercial arts (electronic design & interactive media).

One year left :metal:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a high school drop out (for the Victorians here, I finished year 11/VCE 1 and left school during year 12).
I dropped out because I had crippling anxiety and I literally could not attend most of my classes without having an anxiety attack.
Throughout school I was plagued with many periods of depression, which adversely affected my results, because I simply wasn't motivated for life in general, let alone school.

In a way, it did me good, because I got to start really studying stuff on my own, and realized how much I learnt in highschool was just full of shit.
The nutrition topics in health class in year 8/9 in particular was one of the worst.
All this crap about "Food pyramids", don't eat before bed and all this other crap that was totally meaningless, I just don't understand why they still teach this shit.

Dwellingers

Reaction score
Bachelor in Nanoscience, Master in Biomedical Engineering. Further im studying to be a business engieneer. I play two Death Metal bands and occasionally in a Grunge-rock unit - but we dont rehearse that much ... :)

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
Working on my Bachelors in Music Education (Vocal)

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
My only formal education is highschool level, however I have MUCH informal learning via books/interblag/TV.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my Buddhist Philosophy teacher was a founding member of Agalloch.

Chronograph

Reaction score
PhD in Law, St. Petersburg University, one of the 10 country's top M&A lawyers:wavey:

It surely makes difficult to find available time for songwriting but gives me an opportunity to have as many guitars as I want:yesway:

I am a proggy:lol:

Reaction score
I've been listening to death metal since I was in junior high, but I've listening to metal since I was kid. Death metal is probably my favorite genre without a doubt. I'm not an average metal head with long hair, metal jackets, boots, and the like.

I graduated college two years ago from Medical Transcription and Medical Terminology. This course also involved many computer courses, as well as your average college level English class(es). I was the second youngest in my class, one of two males, and one of the four people to attend Awards Night. When the teacher was giving out the awards in class I recall her saying, "... and the final award is a special one. Since I've been teaching, this is the first award given out by the Urology Consultant's Office". I nearly shit my pants. The Urology Consultant's Office was where I did my five week work term.

I am now employed by Capital Health and work for the Victoria General Hospital, Halifax Infirmary, as well as the Nova Scotia Rehab Center which deals with a lot of arthritis patients. I work as a Medical Transcriptionist mainly, but I also do some registration and will be trained as an X-Ray Technician.

I've been studying medical terminology since I was kid because my mother has been employed in the hospitals for 30+ years. My knowledge is continuously growing. If I decide I no longer wish to be a Transcriptionist, I will either further my career in the hospitals by becoming a (County) Medical Examiner, a Pathologist, or I'll follow my dream of becoming a Forensic Scientist. I know the ex-Chief/Head of Microbiology, Immunology, and Infectious Diseases. He was also the president of the Canadian Infectious Disease Society. If I went to school to study anything along those lines, I could count on him to help me find some work.

I know most of the doctors in Diagnostic Imaging on a personal level, as well as where most of them live. For example, I don't say, "Hello, Dr. Heelan." I would say, "Hello, John! How are ya'?" They have known me since I was youngin'.

I could add so much more, but I'll leave it at that. Take that, metal!

Also, if you have a medical history in Halifax and visited a hospital affiliated with CDHA, I have access to it. ;)

')