What's the biggest string you've got in an Ibanez/Schecter tuner for 8-string?

• Thread starter Drache713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drache713

Contributor
Reaction score
Curious for the people with Ibanez/Schecter 8-strings...what is the biggest size string you have managed to get to fit through the tuner peg WITHOUT modification/drilling or taking some windings off the string? .068", .074", .080"...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't say for sure (my Schecter's in the mail) but I can guarantee it's got a .74, because that's what comes on it stock. I asked DCGL about anything heavier, but as far as single guitar strings go, they jump straight from .74 to .80 :scratch: I think I'm gonna try for an .80, and if it doesn't fit, I'll just find a bass string that does fit (hopefully something close that, like .78). I'll let you know if no one else has by the time I get it.

For the Ibanez, you can really fit whatever you want in. Even if the actual string won't fit, you know how bass strings taper down towards the end? As in not the side the ball end is on. I don't know if the heavier guitar strings do or not, but bass strings do for sure. So stick the thinner part in the tuner as far as it will go, and then start winding, so the actual .80 (or whatever) part of the string is pressed up to the hole in the tuner. You'll probably have way to much string to wind around the post, so just cut some off down by the bridge end, because the bridge locks, so you won't need the ball end :yesway:

Krauthammer

Reaction score
A dremel tool, a steady hand, and about 10 seconds will make any string fit through the tuner. Simple, no unwinding required. :yesway:

sessionswan

ffffffffftt
Reaction score
.085 in my Schecter - had to drill out the tuning peg a bit though. I did manage to get a .070 in there without any mods.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i wonder why string companies haven't started making dedicated gauges for 8 string guitars, and i don't mean packs of strings, but a gague that has a wrapped end like a bass string to put into the tuning peg, us locking tuner guys are lucky enough getting 65 gauge strings into the hole even after drilling, i imagine 70's and 80's are pretty effin thick

Erik Hauri

Lumber -> Guitars
Reaction score
I have a 0.080 on my custom-built, and I not only had to ream out the tuner post - I also had to file the slot on the Graphtech saddle a bit.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used a .068 Elixir on my old 8-string and IIRC it took a bit to get it to slide through properly, but I didn't have to drill/mod.

')