What's the first thing you play when trying new gear?

• Thread starter ChronicConsumer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChronicConsumer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So, I'm picking up my new amp (a Laney Ironheart 60) somewhere this week, and I was just wondering, what's the first thing you guys play when trying out new gear? I never know what to play when I'm in a guitar store.. but usually I just start playing some Opeth and see where that takes me.

So what's the first thing YOU play? ^^

Also, sorry if this isn't the right part of the forum for this - I didn't know where else to put this. FYI, I have tested the amp already several times, but I now finally have the money to buy it. Oh, and in before 'Stairway to Heaven'.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoeytheChoady

JoeytheChoady
Reaction score
I typically chug a bunch, then even more chugging, sometimes i pop the whammy bar if i have one, if not, then i chug even more. MANY kids at guitar center tend to do this where i live..haha

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The "may I help you" riff so they'll break out that ladder and get the axe I actually wanna play.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I tend to completely forget anything about playing guitar when I go to a guitar shop to try something out. All my skills go out the window and as soon as I get it in my hands it's like I've been playing a couple of months. I guess it's the nerves of playing in front of other people (which I rarely do) combined with not being used to certain gear. That, and not being great to begin with. :lol: Mostly though, I try to play a few simple things, distorted and clean rhythms on all pickup and tone setting so I get a rough idea of what the guitar is capable of. I tend to just impro stuff.

fassaction

Reaction score
I seem to always play the main riff to one of the first "metal" songs I ever wrote...just a little drop D riff. Its got some hammer-on runs that give me a good indication of how the neck feels.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
I normally pick up the microphone and start saying

"I have aids, yes that kind of aids"

but if its a guitar i will play some AAL or paul gilbert licks or something

Reaction score
Any of my band material, an intricate little riff that works on the bottom 3 strings. Tried it on my newest guitar a few weeks ago and it felt fun to play. That's when I'm on to a winner. Or I'll just noodle about between clean/distorted sounds on different pickups. I'll tweak the tone until I find something that fits.

Reaction score
I tend to completely forget anything about playing guitar when I go to a guitar shop to try something out. All my skills go out the window and as soon as I get it in my hands it's like I've been playing a couple of months. I guess it's the nerves of playing in front of other people (which I rarely do) combined with not being used to certain gear. That, and not being great to begin with. :lol: Mostly though, I try to play a few simple things, distorted and clean rhythms on all pickup and tone setting so I get a rough idea of what the guitar is capable of. I tend to just impro stuff.

You and me both :lol:

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
I do this to check for dead spots.

@1:50, the first two minutes are him talking about cables.

Then I dunno, I play a few scales up and down, a bunch of chordal things, then a couple of groovy things.

First seven I ever played, I did the main riff from Emperor's The Prophet. It sounded appropriately badass.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

That might actually be a blessing in disguise...

Ever get this one?

*dude hears you playing from the other side of the amp wall and comes over*

Some Dude said:
Dude... Can you teach me to sweep?

Me said:
Sure... Asking some random dude at GC is how I learned too! Great minds think alike. :rolleyes:

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Vocal stuff: Growl something violent and illegible.
Guitar stuff: Either Devin Townsends "Truth" or something I wrote myself. Normally shows how the amp handles what I need.
Bass stuff: Meh, a small slap-riff and some simple rock melodies.

PortalNathrakh

DO NOT SPEAK
Reaction score
Guitar I just do "Unholy Confessions," just because it's simple and recognisable.
Bass I play "Give It Away" by RHCP, because.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'm actually planning a GC trip this weekend for picks. You guys are getting me kinda hyped up for it. :lol:

I can see myself spending way too much time in there already effin' with guitar and bass amps. I just learned Portrait of Tracy (the intro part anyway... the part most ppl recognize--See "Who Let These Hoes in My Room" - Ludacris or "The Rain" - SWV)... I can see myself playing the hell outa that just because it sounds so good and it's so much damn fun.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD

That's funny you say that... Whenever I practice at home, if my one friend is over he always yells that shit at me. "Play Freebird!" He says if I ever do a show he's just gonna heckle me and yell that the whole time. He better not. :squint: :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Bunch of quarter/half notes on the low string while I dial in the settings, THEN I play the intro riff to "Funeralopolis"

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
I like to completely butcher Stairway to Heaven on the worst guitar I can find just to annoy folks.

Latest posts

')