What's the lowest I can tune on 25.5" scale?

• Thread starter Ginsu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ginsu

Reaction score
While retaining decent clarity, assuming I have Dimarzios? (on an RGA7, either a D-sonic or a Crunch Lab). I'm trying to get to A# Standard/Drop G# but before I go and buy a bunch of strings I want to make sure it'll even sound okay.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
I have an Ibanez RG-570 and I tune to B standard easy, With 9's... It doesn't have as much clarity as D standard but I went up to 10's or 11's It would be just as good.

I use Dean markley Blue Steels By the way, as I think some brands feel heavier and lighter.

Ginsu

Reaction score
Isn't that like playing on spaghetti? (Don't take that the wrong way, I love spaghetti) Since that's a six string...that means your low string is like a .42 tuned to B....How do you do...play that?

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
It's actually Really Tight, Not as tight as a high gauge, but it actually works really well, I personally would use 10's for that if I had another guitar for that tuning, but it does work quite well surprisingly.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I don't mean to be the curmudgeon or anything, but WTH do people think guitar players did before extended scale and/or 7+ strings were readily available on the market?

You can tune any guitar to virtually anything, within reason. It's just a matter of choosing the right string gauge(s) and knowing how to set the guitar up properly..

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
A few people have claimed you can tune to a low E on 25.5", and it be ok. I mean, there are 25.5" scale 8 strings out there, and if you set them up correctly, they will play well.

I have personally found that using a string above a 68 kinda sounds weird... They are not sharp enough, a bit too bassy. I tune to drop Bb, and that's pretty much as low as I want to go.

Many, many bands tune lower on 25.5". It all depends on your playing style and the strings, imho

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
It's actually Really Tight, Not as tight as a high gauge, but it actually works really well, I personally would use 10's for that if I had another guitar for that tuning, but it does work quite well surprisingly.

I don't mean to be an ass dude, but no. 10's, nevermind 9's, are NOT tight in B standard. I can't discuss preferences, some guitarists do enjoy a really slinky feel on their strings (I'm definitely not one of them though, I use 12's in Eb), but there's no way in hell that standard light gauges are tight in a tuning as low as B standard.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
While retaining decent clarity, assuming I have Dimarzios? (on an RGA7, either a D-sonic or a Crunch Lab). I'm trying to get to A# Standard/Drop G# but before I go and buy a bunch of strings I want to make sure it'll even sound okay.

Periphery's 7 string stuff is drop G# on a 25.5" scale, and they use (or at least have used) 10-64's, and it sounds great.

Meshuggah's original recording of Nothing was low F and E standard on 25.5" scale because their Nevborn 8 strings didn't work out, for whatever reason. Probably gonna get flamed for this but I think it sounds fine :lol:

Last edited:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
G# should be fine as long as you have the bridge clearance to intonate it. Just get the right strings, tweak the setup, and you'll be fine.

Corwin

Reaction score
I play my RG2550 with 12 tuned to B standard and its fine.
I'd even put on 13. I like it tighttttt

sell2792

Reaction score
Within the Ruins is drop G on Caparison 24.75's(?). They sound fucking great live.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
From my experience I would suggest a 70 gauge, G#. I wouldn't personally go any lower, though I have strung up with an 80 which feels ok in F#. Does not sound good and would be too floppy tuned lower.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
From my experience I would suggest a 70 gauge, G#. I wouldn't personally go any lower, though I have strung up with an 80 which feels ok in F#. Does not sound good and would be too floppy tuned lower.

That's the thing really... I think that the timbre of strings above a certain gauge really isn't good. I don't like double-wound strings, as they sound dull... It's not that they aren't bright, but they sound kinda dampened all the time.

So basically, the more you can tolerate floppier strings, the lower you can go. I have to admit, a 64 for a G# sounds a bit much for me, as I use a 66 for a Bb. But, I like tight bottom strings, because I like it to match my others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Yup it's true it's no means ideal to use such high gauges on a short guitar. I don't really like playing anything looser right now though, and am willing to sacrifice tone for playability until recording seriously :)

IconW

Reaction score
Z- ? Just be sure to get nice and thick wires!

')