Whats The Most Horrible AMP Youve Ever Heard?

thetobarmethod

thetobarmethod:/
Reaction score
Hiya:wavey:

i was dickin around on here, and decided this would be a somewhat interesting question to post, just give some basic info on what amp it is, why its bad iyo, and why would someone would ever possibly choose to use that godforsaken piece of shit.:noplease:

-No practice amps please
-DONT mention Line 6 amps unless u have an exotic view on them(I have my reasons.......)
-And durability/roadworthy-ness doesnt count

Thanx ;P

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Raven RG100H...Holy hell do these things suck.
I got my first head a few years ago(An Ibanez TBX150H), and after a few days it just stopped working altogether. So I take it back to guitar center and they say "well we can refund your money, or give you a new TBX". Since I loved my head I asked for another to find out they are sold out. Normally I would just take the cash, but I had a show to play in a few days so I had to find a replacement. I stumbled across the Raven RG100H for the same price as my head. I played it at guitar center and thought it was okay. not too much worse than the TBX. So I bring it to practice the next day, and as soon as I turn the volume up to practice levels the tone went straight to the shitter. No matter what cab or guitar I put this thing with it was honestly the worst piece of garbage I have ever heard. I didn't have the balls to play a show with it and ended up returning it that day.

I can't imagine any reason why someone would buy one of these amps besides the fact that they are dirt cheap..but even at that, there are much better options.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
crate gt1200h, the crunch lacked balls and the lead had an unusable "shape" knob which caused the lead to never sound right, and it picked up radio stations when turning off....

i know a guy thats like 40something with the 2x12 version hes had it for god knows years AND YEARS, he runs a "3/4" stack and thinks its awesome with the crate speakers and all.... i sold mine (head version) to the pawn shop for 100$ bought for 120.
thing was a "stompbox amp" IMO

EDIT: he actually went to the studio with it, OMG THE SOUND ON THAT "EP"

SSK0909

Reaction score
Vetta II...

Had one for a couple of months and hated it with a passion.

Yes, it was used by Meshuggah and perhaps it's great for that kind of super precise metal which doesnt require a lot of dynamics, but even if the thing had the technology to purge pop music and bring Dio back from the dead I still wouldnt come near one again :D

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Marshall JCM900 @ practice, I don't know which models but not one of the good one. To be fair, tubes were probably shot :)

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Raven RG100H
I've gotten a pretty decent lead tone out of these. Decent as in the best sound that I could get on any of the [crappy] amps that Guitar Center had out.

Marshall MGs - I'm sure everyone already knows why.
Whatever the hell Michael Romeo was using on The Odyssey.
Carvin V3 - clean tones were great, but anything distorted was among the worst tone I've ever heard.

maxrossell

Reaction score
God, soooo many.

I reckon the worst amp I ever heard was a Reissue Fender Champ. The boxiest, most nasal thing I've ever heard. I have no idea what it could even be used for. The kicker: It cost £600.00. Yeah, for a combo that sounded like a bee in a lunchbox. Fender have some balls, I'll give 'em that.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Hughes and Kettner Warp 7. I got one of those heads for $150.....and still felt like I got kicked in the dick. Everything about it was awful. There was very little sweep with the EQ section. It was pretty much only woofy or ear piercingly thin. It was a trainwreck of an amp.

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
Jcm900, jcm2000 and those valvestate, just tiny, dirty, undefinded, loose and shrill, every time i worked with those i hate it, i have never understand all the praise with those amps.

I must add the ibanez thermion, loose as 85 years old woman.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Raven RG100H...Holy hell do these things suck.
I can't imagine any reason why someone would buy one of these amps besides the fact that they are dirt cheap..but even at that, there are much better options.
Seconded.

broj15

Reaction score
I know some people really like them but I was extremely dissapointed in the crate blue voodoo that I used at the local pawn shop to test out a guitar a while ago.

Zado

Reaction score
When I try amps I always want to play the ones I'm /i was interested in,so I wouldn't say horrible but most disappointing.

Brunetti mercury customwork.It was just acid,you CAN'T play that thing at bedroom volumes,it will sound just awful.Don't play it at high volumes either,you could fall in love-

Mesa dual recto. Imho it's a very overrated amp...very powerful and full of balls,but imho too compressed for my taste,and lacked a lil bit dynamic.I would never spend 2500€ on a thing like that.

Mesa F series: very pleasing clean,very "meh" distorted channel:shrug:too gritty I would say

H&K swittchblade: not extremely bad,it was a very versatile beast,a great amp for the ones searching for a all-in thing....on higain sounded SS..not bad for the price afterall

marshall DSL: when I tried the first time I had in mind all the rumors about being the "jcm800 of the new generation",marshall's "modern masterpiece" and so.A good amp for the price,but imho nothing untouchable

Blackstar series 1 100w: a magnificent undone..it sounded pretty sterile to me,while the HT series was less "real" sounding but sounded better.Series one 104 was actually way better too.

SOldano SLO: IMMENSE lead channel,but clean was just decent...too much €€ for european customers for what it actually offers allaround

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
This thread should be changed to "What amp do you make sound bad? Seriously half the amps listed here CAN sound really good, so I'm gonna blame it on user error. Remember, this is the WORST amp, not the half-bad amp thread.

Not the Ravens or Crates though. :lol:

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Any Mesa Rectifier. though I recognize its great for certain applications (like Origin), I think they sound awful.

Egnater Tourmaster. Didn't do anything very well in my opinion, terribly unreliable.

Marshall Mode Four, Ibanez Thermion, and Blackstar Artisan 100.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Randall RX35DM.

Decent cleans, HORRIBLE distortion, meh effects. I know it was a practice amp, but $250 FOR A 35 WATT PRACTICE AMP FOR THAT CALIBER OF SHITNESS!? It was like a box of low gain, fizzy, muddy distortion. Jesus, I think a Harley Benton amp could sound better. If you thought Line 6 Spiders were overpriced, you never saw this amp.

Thank Jesus those amps aren't how real Randalls sound.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
This thread should be changed to "What amp do you make sound bad? Seriously half the amps listed here CAN sound really good, so I'm gonna blame it on user error. Remember, this is the WORST amp, not the half-bad amp thread.

Not the Ravens or Crates though. :lol:
Should have known this thread was going to go this way though.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Start raging.

but not really

by amps are we talkin actual amps like heads and expensive combos and all?
If yes, I will agree with others and go with the JCM900

if practice amps and what not, the baby Starcaster amp that comes in the box with the starter pack guitar thing.
My 9 year old cousin got the pack when he started playing guitar last year. When I visited I wanted to play again but then i turned on the amp and there was no way.

edsped

Reaction score
I've gotten a pretty decent lead tone out of these. Decent as in the best sound that I could get on any of the [crappy] amps that Guitar Center had out.

Marshall MGs - I'm sure everyone already knows why.
Whatever the hell Michael Romeo was using on The Odyssey.
Carvin V3 - clean tones were great, but anything distorted was among the worst tone I've ever heard.
Believe it or not, he used an ENGL (either a Fireball or Powerball, can't remember which) for at least the rhythm stuff on The Odyssey, maybe mixed with a Dual Rec.