What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread like this in the time i've been here, so i figured id ask; whats the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

I'll go first;

Friend: What the hell is that?
Me: Its Prokofiev...
Friend: Wheres the beat?
Me: He's one of the masters of classical music, theres no "beat"...
Friend: *listens for a moment* thats crap, its just a bunch of notes.. how do you mosh to this?
Me: *stabs*

Other guy (not a friend this time) grabs one of my earphones at school and listens. I had Ministry playing.
Other dude: What are you listening to? Green Day?
Me: No. I dislike Green Day.
Other Dude: It sounds like green day. Are you emo?
Me: Its not emo dude,its Ministry... its metal...
Other dude (while dropping earphone): Nah its emo dude.
:wallbash:

Any others?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
The whole emo calling thing got way out of hand.
For some people, it became a derogatory way of describing any form of rock music.
I've had people call what I listen to, be it technical death metal, blues rock or hard rock 'emo':noplease:

Another one is one of my friends (well not anymore, used to be) referred to anything with black metal, death metal or deathcore/metalcore vocals as 'screaming music':wallbash:

Edit: Somehow this thread got screwed up and my post became the Original post instead of Demoniac's post so bear in mind if you want the original topic post, look at the second post in here:scratch:

Severance

The Cockhammer
Reaction score
me:so you like heavy metal huh
Hot chick with slayer shirt on: Yeah
me: slayer your favorite metal band
Hcwsso: No My favorite metal band is bring me the horizon

I dont know if it's so much ignorant as gave me a hard case of the lulz.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
when I was at college, this psycho girl called Lauren Clinch (AKA The Grinch) looked at my Nile hoodie in disgust and it went like this:

Her: "who are they?"
Me: "Nile, death metal band"
Her: "death metal is not real music, it's just noise."
Me: "hahaha oh really, what is real music?"
Her: "you should listen to Norma Jean"

I will never, EVER forget that conversation.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
The whole emo calling thing got way out of hand.
For some people, it became a derogatory way of describing any form of rock music.
I've had people call what I listen to, be it technical death metal, blues rock or hard rock 'emo':noplease:

Another one is one of my friends (well not anymore, used to be) referred to anything with black metal, death metal or deathcore/metalcore vocals as 'screaming music':wallbash:

Yes indeed. It was confusing, and infuriating :yesway:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
The two classic examples:
- death metal is just noise, it needs no talent.
- electronic music is easy to make, you just press some buttons.

Anyone with those opinions feel free to come around to my place and make a song in each style.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, just remembered another one.

My stepdad (who is a cunt): Why dont you listen to something like Dido??
Me: I dont like Dido...
Stepdad: Its better than that noise you listen to... (referring to Skinny Puppy...)
Me: So you can listen to it. I dont like it :shrug:
Stepdad: I mean listen to it (blatantly ignoring my comment), Dido is so interesting, it has layers.
Me: You're telling the guy listening to Skinny Puppy about Dido having layers???? (well, i thought it..)

Anyone with those opinions feel free to come around to my place and make a song in each style.

YES!!

I love electronic music of various forms, and whilst i may not appreciate "DJ'ing" as a form of proper music, it still takes skills to create. Far more than i have :lol:

Origins

Not banned
Reaction score
I think most of us has already experienced stupid reactions coming from non-extreme music listeners..:noplease:
Like my father who never speak to me and once gave me some AC/DC tapes, because he wanted to do like he cares about what I do, and it´s "hard" music you know (I hate AC/DC :wallbash:)..
Then people cannot understand that you also listen to jazz, pop rock or other "soft" kinds of music.
At least I don´t say "everything else sucks" like some rap shit guys..
Oh and my cousin who comes in my bedroom to make fun of me and say that I listen to noise. And then I start to play guitar and he doesn´t want to admit that I kick his ass in music theory :ugh:

The two classic examples:
- death metal is just noise, it needs no talent.

What?
Electro music is just made by pressing buttons :shrug:

Just kidding :D

snuif09

Reaction score
"man thats just yelling in a microphone"

*starts chainsaw* WEL ARE YOU MAKING METAL NOW BITCH *guy screams*
YOU SOUND LIKE SHIT*chainsawsoundbloodsplatters*

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I don't play these days, so these are antiquated anecdotes from a time I was trialling an amp in a local music shop. Might have been a JMP-1, I forget...anyway:

Dude: "You play too fast"
Me: "Too fast?"
Dude: "Yeah, too fast - I can't hear the notes and you have no feel"
Me: "........"
Dude: "You need to learn to play slowly before you can play fast"
Me: *plays some Gary Moore blues without the fast bits*
Dude: "Thats not blues, its too fast"
Me: "Can you actually play anything I just played?"
Dude: ".....no....."
Me: "Right, and you like Grunge"
Dude: "Yeah, beats the shit out of that art wank"
Me: "Not choosing to play a certain way, and not being able to are two different things. Now fuck off before I chin you"

Back in the 90's this was a common argument given there was an anti-technique phase in metal (Grunge.....) and if you had any ability at all you were instantly slagged off. I couldn't get in a band because I had a reputation as a shredder but the truth of the matter was I liked a lot of the bands around at the time and just wanted to make music without labels...

LABELS INFURIATE ME.

Not liking a certain style of music or band is fine - its a free country. Slagging off someone who does is just.....sad....and it happens all the damn time.

(thats probably not the most ignorant thing I've heard, but as the majority of the comments fall into that category one example is pretty much as good as another....)

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
The common:

Metal and rock aren´t music, it´s just a bunch of crazy people screaming with no talent and blah blah blah blah blah.

A lot of people used to say to me "do you understand what they´re singing?" because of the screaming (sometimes) or because of english language (which is not spoken here by the majority of people) I think 1,5% of brazilians can actually speak and write in english properly. Anyway, they would ask "why do you like this? you can´t understand it!"

I actually DID understand it, and even if I didn´t I would like it because I like the music (this happens with japanese and german music to me nowadays, I don´t understand a thing and I could care less).

And I would reply with the "man, you listen to things like Madonna, and dance music, and yet YOU DON´T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING! So shut up" lol :lol:

Seriously, fuck all the metal haters in the world!! :mad:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Seriously, fuck all the metal haters in the world!! :mad:

I hate people who rip on metal, but I also hate 'metal' people who rip on everything that isn't metal. I know some dudes called Matt and Tony and they immediately shun anything that isn't thrash, death or black metal. I think it's pathetic that they can't appreciate music outside metal, as it often heavily borrows from genres like blues, jazz and classical.

don't get me wrong, I fucking love metal and have done since I was about 10 and I think it will always be my music of choice, but it's definitely not the be all and end all of music.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
One day I went to a 'professional guitar shop', the owner asked to me:

''What is a baritone guitar? ''

He claims he has 45 years of experience in the guitar industry...

I thought that instead to punch him in the face, I prefered to leave the place....

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate people who rip on metal, but I also hate 'metal' people who rip on everything that isn't metal. I know some dudes called Matt and Tony and they immediately shun anything that isn't thrash, death or black metal. I think it's pathetic that they can't appreciate music outside metal, as it often heavily borrows from genres like blues, jazz and classical.

don't get me wrong, I fucking love metal and have done since I was about 10 and I think it will always be my music of choice, but it's definitely not the be all and end all of music.

Same here man.
The metal or nothing guys shit me. It's okay to like only metal I guess if you keep it to yourself and don't bug anyone about it, but if you start having to TELL everyone about it and how you think it's better, that just pisses me off.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score

I like jazz, a little pop, lots of classic rock, classical, some ethnical styles and everything. I´m not a close minded metalhead and I hate those. But I hate the people who hate metal because they pidgeonhole us in a way that I despise. They look me like I´m a murderer or something just because I like metal, cappice? I hate when someone drops the classic "you don´t LOOK like you like these musical styles". How am I supposed to look? It´s fucking ridiculous...

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Somebody who is serious about metal must know that without classical music metal would not exist, also many bands are classical influenced, like Children of Boddom for exemple....

Bands like nightwish and so many others who are incredibly celtic or Irish music inspired.... etc etc...

Every music style has its richness and culture and must be respected...

I listen to all thypes of music, mostly metal and classical music, but I also love jazz...

Some rap can be incredible sometimes....

The more music styles you listen, the most accomplished musicien you will be or become....

I only have a problem with Reggae, some ethnical music and Polka music :lol:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Somebody who is serious about metal must know that without classical music metal would not exist, also many bands are classical influenced, like Children of Boddom for exemple....

Bands like nightwish and so many others who are incredibly celtic or Irish music inspired.... etc etc...

I listen to all thypes of music, mostly metal and classical music, but I also love jazz...

Some rapp can be incredible sometimes....

The more music styles you listen, the most accomplished musicien you will be or become....

I only have a problem with Reggae and Polka music :lol:

I forgot to mention. I do like West Coast Gangsta Rap from the 90´s, without shame! I think it rocks actually!!

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score

Some rapp can be incredible sometimes....

I only have a problem with Reggae and Polka music :lol:

Yes! This post is great, Huf. It irritates me when god damn scene kids rip on me because i listen to classical music.... you just feel like knocking them on their asses for their ignorance :noplease:

I mean, really, Rachmaninoff = epic :eek:

ADAMAKAGORE

Reaction score
A guy I met told me: You don´t need instruments to play music..That´s why I like Djs"...

:nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

And what are the samples done with???moron...

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')