What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
Being fairly new to 7's myself, thought I'd add a personal anecdote.

Anywho, about a year or so back when I was first looking into getting a 7-string (or hell even try one out, since that's the beauty of music shops, amiright?) I went to all TWO of my local city's music shops. Not a huge city by any means, about 75000 people.

Upon entering each shop, I was quickly greeted by the shop owners, who I'm on a first name basis with, since there's only the 2 places, lol.

"Do you guys have any or ever get any 7-strings in stock?" was my question.

"7-strings? Nobody plays those anymore. Those were just a fad back in the 90s when Korn came out."

That comment just snuck up and sucker punched me straight in the taint. Straight from the shop owner himself. He's pretty much the only employee! There was nobody else around that I could give the "Is this guy serious?" look to. Instantly I wanted to spit out like a dozen bands who use em, but I knew this old hack wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about anyways. This is the type of guy who only only stocks Strats and Les Pauls and every other guitar in the history of music is rubbish.

Worst part is, when I went to competition, the other shop owner greeted me with almost the exact same word-for-word response.

Even worse, get this twist. lol After the "fad comment 10 years ago" comment, he adds:

"Why get a 7-string, when you can get a gorgeous PRS custom 22? I've got one in stock now for only $2500?"

/Facepalm

Nothing against PRS. Damn If I had my choice of any 6er they'd be up there... But to go from "do you have any 7s" to "why get a 7-string when you can buy my PRS"...

Oh man, that day was chalk full of epic fail...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I have a comment that's not really ignorant, because I know the guy who said it was only joking; but if he was serious it would have rubbed me the wrong way.

I was at my local shop that I love to death. :wub: And I was asking one of the guys if he knew if they'd be getting any 8s in so I could try one out, explaining that I already plays 7s and think I'm ready to make the jump to an 8.

Guy who works at the store: "Ready to play bass and guitar at the same time, huh?"
Me: "Yup, pretty much. Hahaha."
GWWATS: "Don't worry man, I'm just fucking around with ya! I'm pretty sure we won't be ordering any, though. Niche market, you know. I can order one for you if you want."

If he hadn't said he was shitting me (and if I didn't know he was before he said it), I would have been kind of pissed. Haha. The guys at that shop are all really cool, the owner has been really cool when I've gone in there with my 7 and played.

Joker962

Wooooooooooooo!
Reaction score
oh I've got another one.

So, I was home listening to Richie Havens and my friend stopped by to pick something up.

he heard the song and was like "what the hell is this shit I thought you liked metal."

I didn't know it was wrong to like anything from classical to death metal...

oh the same thing happened with another friend when I put Frank Zappa's "The Grand Wazoo" album on.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I can't say that I have experienced that, the reason I don't Jam very often is because I can't (yeah I know I really suck) but every guitarist and musician I know would jam with me, everyone I have met has asked for a jam even though they know I play 7's. I think that if you were playing with a blues guitarist and all you did was wanked the whole time I could understand why he wouldn't want to play with you again but if you got into it with him and got a cool vibe happening I can't see why they wouldn't want to play with you no matter how many strings you have. If all you are doing is shredding or brutalz and all he does is blues or rock how is that fun for anyone?

I guess I just don't get it because I haven't seen it, I only know musicians who think jamming is cool and like to play with different people whenever possible. They are massive gear snobs though and would have no problem telling me everything but what they own sucks :lol: To be fair they wouldn't say that, they would simply say I only like ....... guitars.

Well, I think ppl see my guitars and just assume what my style is... It's annoying... Or they hear you play one metal riff or a few scale/arpeggio runs and assume you're just a metalhead. I actually don't write metal at all. I can just play fast. Wooten is fast... Eric Johnson is fast... Hell Bela Fleck is fuckin' fast. Not one of them is a metal artist. I'd rather ppl actually jam w/ me and find out what my style is than for them to TELL me what my style is prematurely.

I've recently been able to find a few friends that are open minded and willing to play whatever and it's like a breath of fresh air. But I tend to run into the type of ppl I mentioned before more often than not. Sour grapes, perhaps?

Gear snobs aren't so bad, to me. If you know what you like, you know what you like. That can't be said for a lot of ppl. :lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Being fairly new to 7's myself, thought I'd add a personal anecdote.

Anywho, about a year or so back when I was first looking into getting a 7-string (or hell even try one out, since that's the beauty of music shops, amiright?) I went to all TWO of my local city's music shops. Not a huge city by any means, about 75000 people.

Upon entering each shop, I was quickly greeted by the shop owners, who I'm on a first name basis with, since there's only the 2 places, lol.

"Do you guys have any or ever get any 7-strings in stock?" was my question.

"7-strings? Nobody plays those anymore. Those were just a fad back in the 90s when Korn came out."

That comment just snuck up and sucker punched me straight in the taint. Straight from the shop owner himself. He's pretty much the only employee! There was nobody else around that I could give the "Is this guy serious?" look to. Instantly I wanted to spit out like a dozen bands who use em, but I knew this old hack wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about anyways. This is the type of guy who only only stocks Strats and Les Pauls and every other guitar in the history of music is rubbish.

Worst part is, when I went to competition, the other shop owner greeted me with almost the exact same word-for-word response.

Even worse, get this twist. lol After the "fad comment 10 years ago" comment, he adds:

"Why get a 7-string, when you can get a gorgeous PRS custom 22? I've got one in stock now for only $2500?"

/Facepalm

Nothing against PRS. Damn If I had my choice of any 6er they'd be up there... But to go from "do you have any 7s" to "why get a 7-string when you can buy my PRS"...

Oh man, that day was chalk full of epic fail...

The shop owner is absolutely right... Steve Vai had NOTHING to do w/ 7 strings whatsoever... :lol:

Joker962

Wooooooooooooo!
Reaction score
Ha, really? When I saw them (supporting also) they were booed off too. I wonder if this is a common occurance for them. :scratch:

Which leads me to the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said about music to me. Some girls I was talking to were saying how they liked Bring Me The Horizon, which I thought was weird because they usually like acoustic pop sort of songs. I asked them why they liked them and they said "Because the lead singer is hot." :spock: Now there are so many things wrong with that, but the one I can't figure out is why they would think he is hot. :lol:

thBring_Me_The_Horizon_dark_version.jpg

Really? :nuts: (The dude on the far right (Looks like a drummer :lol:) is the only one that looks normal for a metal band to me)
all I see is little emo bitches.

if the picture had full body shots instead of just torso's I'd say

"All I see is little emo bitches wearing their sisters pants."

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
"Seven strings? I can hardly handle six!"

:noplease:

Ha I love that one. I've tried showing ppl the advantage. I think they zone out while I'm talking, though. I always manage to lose them when I tell them there's only 5 more notes...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ha I love that one. I've tried showing ppl the advantage. I think they zone out while I'm talking, though. I always manage to lose them when I tell them there's only 5 more notes...

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on that one. :lol:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Well, I think ppl see my guitars and just assume what my style is... It's annoying... Or they hear you play one metal riff or a few scale/arpeggio runs and assume you're just a metalhead. I actually don't write metal at all. I can just play fast. Wooten is fast... Eric Johnson is fast... Hell Bela Fleck is fuckin' fast. Not one of them is a metal artist. I'd rather ppl actually jam w/ me and find out what my style is than for them to TELL me what my style is prematurely.

I've recently been able to find a few friends that are open minded and willing to play whatever and it's like a breath of fresh air. But I tend to run into the type of ppl I mentioned before more often than not. Sour grapes, perhaps?

Gear snobs aren't so bad, to me. If you know what you like, you know what you like. That can't be said for a lot of ppl. :lol:

I went to pick up some strings on Friday for my Carvin so I have spares when It arrives....only to be told at every single shop that they didn't stock 7-string sets because the metal market was so small........and I also got asked who DR Strings were when I inquired about ordering a few packets to make it worth their while.

a) I don't just play metal. In fact, I don't even look like an archetype of a metalhead but I do enjoy being damned by association....
b) SMALL? That clearly explains why you have all those Ibanez sat on the racks!
c) One shop in the town center stocks Dean, Schecter and ESP so I wondered (reasonably) if they have any 7-strings.....only to be told again that there's no market.....DESPITE the fact I know some of those 6ers have been sat there for months...

Then again, each shop was staffed by know-it-all emo kids in their sister's pants....

Dr Terror

Reaction score
I went to pick up some strings on Friday for my Carvin so I have spares when It arrives....only to be told at every single shop that they didn't stock 7-string sets because the metal market was so small........and I also got asked who DR Strings were when I inquired about ordering a few packets to make it worth their while.

a) I don't just play metal. In fact, I don't even look like an archetype of a metalhead but I do enjoy being damned by association....
b) SMALL? That clearly explains why you have all those Ibanez sat on the racks!
c) One shop in the town center stocks Dean, Schecter and ESP so I wondered (reasonably) if they have any 7-strings.....only to be told again that there's no market.....DESPITE the fact I know some of those 6ers have been sat there for months...

Then again, each shop was staffed by know-it-all emo kids in their sister's pants....

These dudes strike again

I love the way old mate on the right is looking at his band thinking "WTF am I doing here" LOL.

Had the same trouble recently, not with teh emoz, but actually finding a 7th string. Never seen a set with 7 strings in them around here, you basically have buy a regular pack + an extra 56 whatever, but it got worse when the shop told me the only B string they have was an acoustic 58. Just no market for 7's out in the country it seems, electric 7's at least. It sux driving into the big music shops in town for just strings so I had to make do, guitar looks ridiculous with the 1 gold & 6 silver strings. Doesn't sound unplayable, but isn't desirable or professional from any standpoint.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
"Chris Adler SUCKS..." In a conversation about drummers... and also this:

"Meshuggah's guitarists are so BORING and LAME...their music is just....unintelligent."

These were both stated by the same idiot....who is also a big DISTURBED fan...I don't think anymore needs to be said there.

I am a big Disturbed fan and I'm not ignorant like this guy. By telling how ignorant he is and pointing to the fact that he likes Disturbed as a flaw, you are the one being ignorant here.

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score

all I see is little emo bitches.

if the picture had full body shots instead of just torso's I'd say

"All I see is little emo bitches wearing their sisters pants."

Isn't that a bit ignorant in and of itself? Bring me the Horizon are actually pretty cool as long as you dont mind some progressive and hardcore elements in your metal, and regardless, they're still playing heavy music. Far from emo, yo. Having a problem with their haircuts and skinny jeans is the same as the rest of society having a problem with your long hair and way too baggy camo pants. It's just that they decided on a different image than you did, and it happened to work out for 'em.

Leave the fashion out of it, kids :hbang:

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Bring me the Horizon are actually pretty cool as long as you dont mind some progressive and hardcore elements in your metal

Leave the fashion out of it, kids :hbang:
What?:scratch:

Honestly I wouldnt care about their image if that wasnt what attracted such a large percentage of their fanbase.
I challenge you to go on one of their videos and not see a semi-literate teenage girl saying "zomg oli sykes is soooo hawt <3" or words to that effect.
Again, I dont care that people find them good looking, its just the fact that its a massive factor to their success that ticks me off. I guess the same thing can be said for most popular music acts

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
I think you're over-estimating the effect it has on their popularity, to be honest. Little shitty scene girls are always going to love heavy music, because it's edgy. Then they go around commenting on how hot the band members are because they might just stay over at their house next tour, instead of some other shitty scene girl who also thinks Oli Sykes is liek so hawt.

Trust me, it's not that big of a component to their success. They just honestly happen to be better looking than the dudes in most other big metal bands, and thus, get those comments more often than, say, Cannibal Corpse does.

EDIT: As for the progressive comment, well, they are kinda progressive, aren't they? I don't know if you haven't listened to Suicide Season, but for being a melodic hardcore band, they do a lot of pretty wild shit with their song progressions, synth breaks and similar stuff that gives it a decent progressive edge. I mean, I'm not comparing it to Porcupine Tree or anything, but progressive is still progressive.

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
I was listening to Rhapsody of Fire, and my friend takes an earphone and as she puts it in her ear she asks "what are you listening to?" she hears one word (I believe it was 'it's') and says "urgh, screamo". To be fair, it was a live recording, and the note wasn't the best, but to judge a song to be screamo after less than a second.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I was listening to Rhapsody of Fire, and my friend takes an earphone and as she puts it in her ear she asks "what are you listening to?" she hears one word (I believe it was 'it's') and says "urgh, screamo". To be fair, it was a live recording, and the note wasn't the best, but to judge a song to be screamo after less than a second.

Woah, calling Rhapsody screamo has to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. She is one dumb person, indeed. Rhapsody doesn't even have screaming...

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Woah, calling Rhapsody screamo has to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. She is one dumb person, indeed. Rhapsody doesn't even have screaming...

Well, there are a couple songs with more aggressive vocals, and they've talked about doing a more extreme metal album, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')