What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
All this makes me happy that my mom understands the music I listen to. She did see van halen twice after all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
One from the other day:

friend Ethan: Dude, do you wanna go to a concert with me?
Me: Not really, I'm not really into the same music as you are.
E: Yeah, we like the same stuff. You like screamo and I like screamo.
M: I don't like screamo. I like deathcore/death metal.
E: Dude, it's a Hellyeah concert.
M: That's hardly even hard rock.
E: It's definately screamo, you'd love it.
M: I don't like screamo. You don't even know what that means.
E: Dude, all you listen to is screamo.
M: *pulls out iPod* *shuffles through a couple songs (Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, Necrophagist, Behemoth, The Acacia Strain...)
E: I told you, they sound just like that.
M: /facepalm

My mom the other day while I was playing along to It's Torn Away by Veil of Maya.
Mom: Why do they play those weird ugly sounding chords?
Me: You mean like this? *plays minor 7th chord (I think, I don't know my theory too well)
Mom: Yeah, that sounds horrible.
Me: It's supposed to be discordant
Mom: What's that mean?
Me: That's the way it's supposed to sound
Mom: They should play guitar like regular people.

'Regular People'

You should play her that song :tmm:

KenAncients

Reaction score
DA:Dude Joey Jordanson from slipknot is the best drummer ever.
Me:"Oh really? What makes you believe that?
DA:He was strapped to a seat and played drums suspended.
Me:Oh your right , he must be the best drummer in the world. I know I couldn't play guitar without my feet on the ground"(sarcasm)

ondovcs1

Reaction score
My favorite ignorant music comment. It was a bit snide on my part, but it felt pretty goddamn good.

I work at a bar in a college town (East Lansing, MI - Michigan State). I love my job and the people I work with, but if it's not Lady Gaga or T-Pain, they think it sucks. Having said that, I put my iPod in one night when we were cleaning after work... IPOD... and put on Origin's Echoes of Decimation:

hot bartender I work with: Your CD is skipping
Me: It's and iPod....... (Blank stare at her)
Bartender: Well, I think it's skipping

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... one of the crowning moments of my life.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about synyster gates. And he said "Synyster gates is one of the best guitarists out there right now" I was so baffled I almost didn't know what to say. So I referenced to his instructional vid about sweeping and said "Dude those sweeps sounded like shit" to which he replied "Nuh uh! They were so clean!"

If you can't tell the difference between completely unsynchronized garbage and clean sweeps then you're a fucking idiot.
In your friend's defense, on his good days, Synyster Gates outplays many of the guitarists out there, no contest, even if you don't like his music.
It just happens that he has lots of bad days, where he plays like absolute shit :lol:

Anyway, I was discussing polyrhythms and polymeters with my friend Sarah while she was preparing to teach drum majors at her school. The discussion inevitably led me to Meshuggah, where one of the freshmen (God, can't stand freshmen :lol:) referred to them as "shitty screamo," and "less talented than T-Pain," because they don't have a "good beat." It is now safe to say he will never talk about Meshuggah that way again, since because of him, that whole class had to learn all of obZen :lol:

evilmnky204

Reaction score
Anyway, I was discussing polyrhythms and polymeters with my friend Sarah while she was preparing to teach drum majors at her school. The discussion inevitably led me to Meshuggah, where one of the freshmen (God, can't stand freshmen :lol:) referred to them as "shitty screamo," and "less talented than T-Pain," because they don't have a "good beat." It is now safe to say he will never talk about Meshuggah that way again, since because of him, that whole class had to learn all of obZen :lol:

honestly, as hard as that would be, i'd still KILL to have a teacher like that. :bowdown:

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
It was more of a one time thing, my days as a percussionist are long behind me now. I just kind of stepped in and was like, "Okay, he just fucked with one of the most rhythmically challenging bands ever. Can I fuck with your class today?"

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
In your friend's defense, on his good days, Synyster Gates outplays many of the guitarists out there, no contest, even if you don't like his music.
It just happens that he has lots of bad days, where he plays like absolute shit :lol:

FUCKING YES

Danxile

Reaction score
"what are you gonna do with 8 strings? Anything more than six doesn't even sound like a guitar anymore" -guitar tech from a local music store

B36arin

Reaction score
I once ended up in a discussion with a good friend about Avenged Sevenfold. I find them quite boring and annoying, but he loves them. Anyway, I don't like telling people that I think the music they listen to sucks, but he kept asking me why I didn't like Avenged Sevenfold. I listed a number of reasons, but he still didn't believe I was being honest, so he told me to show him something that I listen to regularly. I had my iPod there, so I put on some Nevermore...

"Seriously man, how can you dig this but find Avenged Sevenfold boring? They sound incredibly similar!"

Reaction score
I once ended up in a discussion with a good friend about Avenged Sevenfold. I find them quite boring and annoying, but he loves them. Anyway, I don't like telling people that I think the music they listen to sucks, but he kept asking me why I didn't like Avenged Sevenfold. I listed a number of reasons, but he still didn't believe I was being honest, so he told me to show him something that I listen to regularly. I had my iPod there, so I put on some Nevermore...

"Seriously man, how can you dig this but find Avenged Sevenfold boring? They sound incredibly similar!"

thats a big fail... on your buddys part i mean.

Antimatter

Reaction score

I bet they had fun with Pravus:lol:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, your band is amazing.

Wow, cheers mate! :cheers:

I just had another nice one, when Paul Grey died and I posted it on Facebook. A friend of mine, who I knew is a huge fan of his and was saving up for his signature Ibby bass and whatnot, commented that he was her biggest idol and that this was horrible news.

In comes another dude, saying: "As if the bass player was your biggest idol! LOLz etc."

She said sure he was, he influenced her to start playing and that she'd picked out a ton of his stuff. I chime in and say "Well, she's a bass player herself, it's no wonder she's influenced by other bass players..."

He says "I guess that'd be it... because I mean normally people wouldn't care if the bass player died, it wouldn've been much worse if Corey or Joey etc. had died".

I really couldn't be bothered with drawing that argument any further. A friend of mine came in and told the dude to fuck himself, which I later bought him a beer for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')