What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Today:

"Umm, I don't like classical music. There's really nothing to it."

The orchestration of dozens of instruments working beautifully within a perfect composition of theoretical knowledge, and dynamical genius is nothing? Rage.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Today:

"Umm, I don't like classical music. There's really nothing to it."

The orchestration of dozens of instruments working beautifully within a perfect composition of theoretical knowledge, and dynamical genius is nothing? Rage.

Well, think about it like this: there are people out there who hear music as just a wall of sound and they don't have a sense of the complexity and the polyphony of the recording. Classical music recordings are typically produced so the instruments can "breathe," so it's a quieter recording.

For people who hear music as a wall of sound, they're probably more apt to deem that a quieter, modest production has less going on in it than a "loudness wars"-approved mix that's in-your-face and whatnot as there's more of the only thing they comprehend about music in the latter recording.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Got a new one from this week. I recently received a Schecter Korina V-7 and so far it is my favorite 7 string that I have.
I brought it into a music store to try it out on a Mes Triple Rec.
As soon as I walk in with it one of the employees is like "another Dimebag Pantera freak huh?"
I start jamming away just doing some simple rhythm and leads just to get an idea of how the amp sounded(which was surprisingly decent considering they don't let anyone turn the amps up too high).
The same employee came over and asked "where's your floyd rose for the Dimebag squeals!! Come on with your badass flying V play some Pantera!"

He said something along the lines of "you mean you play a flying V but don't like Pantera? Your full of shit."
I just told him to go fuck himself and walked out. This is actually the same store that accused me of being a Korn freak for playing a K7.

I hate music stores and you would think New Orleans would have more of them but nope...they all suck.
So let me get this right....if you own and play a flying V style guitar, that automatically makes you a Pantera/Dimebag wannabe? also Dimebag didn't play a Flying V I don't even know the term for the style guitar Dean makes or even care. Much respect to Dimebag but I always thought those Dean's looked and played like crap when I would try them out.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
He said something along the lines of "you mean you play a flying V but don't like Pantera? Your full of shit."
I just told him to go fuck himself and walked out. This is actually the same store that accused me of being a Korn freak for playing a K7.

You should have at least knocked a few things over/thrown guitars around on your way out.

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
Got a new one from this week. I recently received a Schecter Korina V-7 and so far it is my favorite 7 string that I have.
I brought it into a music store to try it out on a Mes Triple Rec.
As soon as I walk in with it one of the employees is like "another Dimebag Pantera freak huh?"
I start jamming away just doing some simple rhythm and leads just to get an idea of how the amp sounded(which was surprisingly decent considering they don't let anyone turn the amps up too high).
The same employee came over and asked "where's your floyd rose for the Dimebag squeals!! Come on with your badass flying V play some Pantera!"

I hate music stores and you would think New Orleans would have more of them but nope...they all suck.
So let me get this right....if you own and play a flying V style guitar, that automatically makes you a Pantera/Dimebag wannabe? also Dimebag didn't play a Flying V I don't even know the term for the style guitar Dean makes or even care. Much respect to Dimebag but I always thought those Dean's looked and played like crap when I would try them out.
:mk:

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
You should have at least knocked a few things over/thrown guitars around on your way out.

I thought of doing it. Then realized they had a bunch of Ibanez signature Joe Satriani guitars on the wall I would have ruined...and I think we can all agree those are the best guitars one could have, definately worth the thousands they are asking for them!

bigswifty

Reaction score
A buddy of mine who was strictly into Jethro Tull and Zepplin at the time once tried to convince me that double bass was played on the floor tom, and that he could basically play any song with double bass within the drumline himself.

:scratch:

GeoMantic

Reaction score
I thought of doing it. Then realized they had a bunch of Ibanez signature Joe Satriani guitars on the wall I would have ruined...and I think we can all agree those are the best guitars one could have, definately worth the thousands they are asking for them!

No.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
17-year old guitar noodler: "Nah I couldn't get into Toto, I like more advanced music like Dream Theater."

The ignorance here is that "advanced" in his world only means fast and difficult to play, completely disregarding (and failing to notice) that many of Toto's songs are in fact, as far as harmony, arrangement, rhythm and dynamics go, even more "advanced" than many DT songs. And vice versa of course, but that's beside the point.

As a songwriter, it really gets on my nerves when "musicians" judge a song's complexity and quality only on how physically difficult it is to play on their instrument. :wallbash:

Just because something is easy to play doesn't mean it was easy to write, nor that it was easy to transcribe for the guy who wrote your tab, you little shit! Furthermore, playing a bazillion notes over an Em C G D progression is not nearly as "advanced" as playing 10 well-fitting notes over the Giant Steps progression.

/rant.

Goatfork

Reaction score
One day a buddy of mine came up to me with a big ole smile on his face because he had learned Black Label by Lamb of God by ear. When a classmate (not at all a friend) overheard this news, he gave a huge dramatic sigh -quite annoying, I know. We asked what his problem was. He replied with, "They're too much force," my buddy and I were flabbergasted -this kid claimed to be a metal head (also, wtf does that even mean, maybe 'they're too forceful'?). He shook his head and said, "They'd be a true metal band if they had the beautiful acoustic tones of Megadeth and Slayer," -AND HE WAS BEING SERIOUS.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
One day a buddy of mine came up to me with a big ole smile on his face because he had learned Black Label by Lamb of God by ear. When a classmate (not at all a friend) overheard this news, he gave a huge dramatic sigh -quite annoying, I know. We asked what his problem was. He replied with, "They're too much force," my buddy and I were flabbergasted -this kid claimed to be a metal head (also, wtf does that even mean, maybe 'they're too forceful'?). He shook his head and said, "They'd be a true metal band if they had the beautiful acoustic tones of Megadeth and Slayer," -AND HE WAS BEING SERIOUS.
seriously, what the fuck does that even mean? :ugh:

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
*listening to straws pulled at random in my car*
me: you like this song?
former-friend: nah, theres no pig squeals or anything that make it brutal
me: get the fuck outta my car dude...

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
17-year old guitar noodler: "Nah I couldn't get into Toto, I like more advanced music like Dream Theater."

The ignorance here is that "advanced" in his world only means fast and difficult to play, completely disregarding (and failing to notice) that many of Toto's songs are in fact, as far as harmony, arrangement, rhythm and dynamics go, even more "advanced" than many DT songs. And vice versa of course, but that's beside the point.

As a songwriter, it really gets on my nerves when "musicians" judge a song's complexity and quality only on how physically difficult it is to play on their instrument. :wallbash:

Just because something is easy to play doesn't mean it was easy to write, nor that it was easy to transcribe for the guy who wrote your tab, you little shit! Furthermore, playing a bazillion notes over an Em C G D progression is not nearly as "advanced" as playing 10 well-fitting notes over the Giant Steps progression.

/rant.

yesssssss

If I posted about Toto as much as I felt like it, I feel like I might get banned :lol:

JunkMan13013

ss.org n00b
Reaction score
"theres no emotion in that, its to fast"

That piss's me off to no end, as an ex shredhead it hurts to hear people say that cause there is emotion...... its just played in 32nd notes and over so many scales that the mind should explode.

rotebass

Reaction score
Took a few friends to a house party (by house party I mean a party where the DJ was spinning house music), I had a great time, most of my friends had a great time, we drank and danced as best as drunk people can dance.

After wards I was told by one friend that the music was just Boom-Cha-Boom-Cha, then I was asked to put on some Kesha???

P.S. Some really cool music posted in this thread, Venetian Snares, Skinny Puppy, etc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
')