What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkinners

my fingers are lame
Reaction score
seen this comment on Bobby Jarzombek's video on youtube ages ago

"someone : what is this? this ain't drumming , it's a pile of shit, if you want to see what's a real drums master, please check out Travis Barker."

I hope he was being sarcastic

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
seen this comment on Bobby Jarzombek's video on youtube ages ago

"someone : what is this? this ain't drumming , it's a pile of shit, if you want to see what's a real drums master, please check out Travis Barker."

I hope he was being sarcastic

I just cried.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I was going to contribute something more to this thread, but I haven't had too many tales as of late. I guess that means people have finally learned not to say shit like that to me, seeing as I'm a musician. :shrug::lol:

I'm sure at some point there will be someone else who says something ignorant to me, but oh well.

darkinners

my fingers are lame
Reaction score
this is not ignorant, it was kinda sweet story but it's damn funny, I gotta post in this thread too..

few years back, one of my best friend wrote a song for his girlfriend's brithday and wanted to perform on her birthday party.

my friend is a hardcore metal head. everything else other than metal was shit to him but it happens his girlfriend listen to Britney Spear and some sort.

He invited us to help him play the song he wrote on her girlfriend's B'day party.
the song was like some Doom Metal with some horrid vibe with some twist church organ sound in it, you'll get the idea.
he sung like Peter Steele too.

after we heard the demo, we all tell him, this ain't gonna work dude but he insist.

so the day, we played in front of his girl friend and friends..
as it goes..you gotta see his girl friend's and her friend's face.
it was gold. lol

Murmel

Reaction score
Oh man, I have three years of music education coming up in a week now and most of my new classmates have noted their favourite bands as stuff like Coldplay on Facebook, this will probably get interesting :lol:

Let's hope that they aren't ignorant fucks.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Oh man, I have three years of music education coming up in a week now and most of my new classmates have noted their favourite bands as stuff like Coldplay on Facebook, this will probably get interesting :lol:

Let's hope that they aren't ignorant fucks.

sorry, but there´s a large chance they are. i´m always surprised by how many of the people who study music are total asshats. it´s sad, because they really drown out the awesome musicians in there. fusion jazz purists, blues purists, old school (insert music genre here) purists that weren´t even present when that music was being made and was popular... we all know the type.

Murmel

Reaction score
sorry, but there´s a large chance they are. i´m always surprised by how many of the people who study music are total asshats. it´s sad, because they really drown out the awesome musicians in there. fusion jazz purists, blues purists, old school (insert music genre here) purists that weren´t even present when that music was being made and was popular... we all know the type.
Purists, gotta love em :noplease:

I doubt there will be much metal playing. Atleast not any of teh br00talz, maybe some older stuff like Iron Maiden. Mainly because I don't know if any of the guys are vocalists (I seriously doubt it from what I've heard) but alot of the girls are.
Oh well, I can always rock out in the bedroom ;)

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
*listening to straws pulled at random in my car*
me: you like this song?
former-friend: nah, theres no pig squeals or anything that make it brutal
me: get the fuck outta my car dude...

You should've punched him in the face.

misingonestring

Irrelevant Name
Reaction score
Early on here on this forum, I saw a "Pick on a black metal band thread" that kinda pissed me off. (don't know if that counts or not)

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
when people tell me i look emo when i am wearing a metal shirt and have long hair with no comb over

when they ask me why i listen to 'screamo'...its not fucking screamo its death metal you fuck

or that people think heavy metal is all about the devil and killing each other...some of it is about that, but don't stereotype a whole genre because of you ignorance and lack of knowledge.

thats all for now

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
when people tell me i look emo when i am wearing a metal shirt and have long hair with no comb over

when they ask me why i listen to 'screamo'...its not fucking screamo its death metal you fuck

or that people think heavy metal is all about the devil and killing each other...some of it is about that, but don't stereotype a whole genre because of you ignorance and lack of knowledge.

thats all for now

I didn't know that kind of shit still went on.

That sucks bro.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I didn't know that kind of shit still went on.

That sucks bro.

oh yeah it happens all the time, my last girl friend kept asking me why i listened to screamo...like every other day till i snapped...we no longer talk, just for the fact that she is so ignorant.

i guess its not something to get mad about, but people always assume too, that if you go to a hardcore show your a scene kid...wrong...i go to support other local musicians and my friends...

Kavnar

Reaction score
This thread is sick. :shred:
I have a pretty disgusting tale of ignorance from not too long ago (well, a couple). But unlike most of the others, these are from former band mates.

Me: Fancy trying some different time signatures?
Band mate: No, we need to sound simple and raw!
Me: And why's that?
Band mate: Because I'm fed up of sounding metal, we wont get shows with any of the sick hardcore bands.

Me: I've just ordered an 8 string, it should be coming next week.
Different Band mate: What have you done that for?
Me: Just fancied getting an 8 string and maybe we could try and integrate it into some of our music.
Different Band mate: We're not having an 8 string in our band! It'll make us look like one of those shit death metal bands like meshuggah.
:wallbash:
Shortly after, I quit the band.
Haha

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Straight from the comments on a BTBAM video.

"sounds like Dream Theater but with a better singer and way better drummer."

Really?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Really?

To be honest, Labrie has always been my least favorite part of DT, and while technical and solid, Portnoy has never really left an impression on me. While I don't totally agree with the comment (I'd never say Tommy or Blake were "better", because they're not), I see where he's coming from as Tommy and Blake are much more to my preference as far as the music they write and perform. :shrug:

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score

Really?

ugh.. while i dont like James's voice all that much i have to give him credit for knowing when not to sing. james can let a song's instrumentation breathe.. whereas BTBAM guy just fucking pastes the songs with so many vocal parts its annoying. i also may not like how Portnoy arranges his drum parts, however the man can go toe to toe technique wise with any drummer and either match what their doing or beat them. he is a truly masterful drummer

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
*listening to tempting time*

my dad: " WTF IS THAT SHIT PLAYIN IN MA HOUSE?"

me: "the future of music..."

my dad: "sounds like the fucking end of the world"

me: "yeah....thats the whole point...."

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
This thread is sick. :shred:
I have a pretty disgusting tale of ignorance from not too long ago (well, a couple). But unlike most of the others, these are from former band mates.

Me: Fancy trying some different time signatures?
Band mate: No, we need to sound simple and raw!
Me: And why's that?
Band mate: Because I'm fed up of sounding metal, we wont get shows with any of the sick hardcore bands.

Me: I've just ordered an 8 string, it should be coming next week.
Different Band mate: What have you done that for?
Me: Just fancied getting an 8 string and maybe we could try and integrate it into some of our music.
Different Band mate: We're not having an 8 string in our band! It'll make us look like one of those shit death metal bands like meshuggah.
:wallbash:
Shortly after, I quit the band.
Haha

Thats why I have so much trouble with bands. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')