What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
*listening to tempting time*

my dad: " WTF IS THAT SHIT PLAYIN IN MA HOUSE?"

me: "the future of music..."

my dad: "sounds like the fucking end of the world"

me: "yeah....thats the whole point...."

:lol: that sucks

:wub:

my dad is last person that says stuff like that to me, he understands the progression of music and supports my metal!

anytime i have a new riff or am working on a mix, my roommate or my dad are the first to hear it...

i know my dad only says stuff to support me but, half the time he just sits there in awe, not that I'm that ridiculous on guitar, cause I'm not. He likes to see how much better i get every other week lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
:lol: that sucks

:wub:

my dad is last person that says stuff like that to me, he understands the progression of music and supports my metal!

anytime i have a new riff or am working on a mix, my roommate or my dad are the first to hear it...

i know my dad only says stuff to support me but, half the time he just sits there in awe, not that I'm that ridiculous on guitar, cause I'm not. He likes to see how much better i get every other week lol
i wish my dad was like that, when i try to show him new music, he just walks over to his stereo and cranks his acdc and zztop and starts dancin...:lol:

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
"Quit music, you suck." - dude from myspace

"We need someone with talent, not...you." - Guitarist from ex-band

"Your vocalist sounds like he's deep throating the guitarist and the guitarist sounds like he's raping a guitar. You guys are a joke" - Dude from myspace

etc

:lol:

Best part is, the dude who told me that I have no talent became a white rapper dude and got his ass kicked and his two front teeth chipped because he was so bad at it.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I got one.....

Sadly this one is from my mom. Bless her heart, but she has no clue about anything metal-related.

I was talking about how the original Black Sabbath reformed for Ozzfest (like '99 or 2000 I think) and my mom interrupts with this:
"Adam, that's not possible." I ask her why not. "Didn't Randy Rhodes die in a plane crash? How can black sabbath reform if Randy Rhodes is dead?"

While I give her props for knowing who the hell Randy Rhodes is (she should since he's part of the reason I ever picked up a guitar) clearly she doesn't know too much about Black Sabbath. I am disappoint. :lol:

heyimdallas

Reaction score
*Looking for a vocalist for one of my old bands*
(forgot the dude's name): So, what kind of style are you looking for?
(me): Well, maybe like Meshuggah or Periphery's vocals, not too picky, just somewhere in that neighborhood.
(dude): Meshuggah.. Isn't that some screamo band?
(me): :realmad:

:wallbash:

Arg.. It kills me when people call anything "screamo", whether it's referring to the vocal style or any music involving gritty vocals. I firmly believe "screamo" is the most retarded word ever made up and is only used by idiots who can't comprehend differences in subgenres. Anyone that refers to a band that was a large turning point in metal "screamo" should be sterilized.
Two cents.

EDIT:
Just remembered another couple of good ones!
*commenting on my friend Jarrod's Travis Orbin video he posted on Facebook*
(me): Oh man! He's just so fucking good! Probably the best drummer right now!
(some dude he's friends with): This is complete shit, he doesn't even do any double bass. Have you ever heard Chris Adler? He's so fast!
(me): Well, actually he sucks, but if we're going for fast, have you ever heard Mike Machine? He's actually the worlds fastest drummer.
(dude): WHATEVER! Fuck that guy, he's not faster than Chris Adler!
At that point, I quit commenting and contemplated suicide, but also continued watching such names pour out such as Travis Barker.

No offense LoG fans out there, but Chris Adler is absolutely nothing special. He plays a lot of generic metal stuff and never innovates anything. Or at least from what I've heard of his drum solos. Nothing but fast, no musical or technical quality, just 10 BPM faster than some others.

*1 week before a show our vocalist flaked and I'm telling our guitarist*
(me, at the time I played bass): Dude, we're going to have to play the show instrumental, Shannon quit, but I think we can do it since I didn't write the music for vocals anyway, nothing's very repetitive and I tried to do a lot of voice-like qualities for the music.
(Ahmed, our guitarist): Fuck that! I'm not playing some faggy instrumental show! Nobody likes instrumental music because vocals are the best part of the music and nobody just likes to listen to guitars and shit!

And that cued my switch to guitar in an attempt to save that show haha.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Mentioning Dream Theater as a reference to someone when they asked what I'm interested in. They responded by saying: "Oh yea, my last band used to play super-sped up blues too." :scratch: :nono:

Reaction score
:wallbash:

Arg.. It kills me when people call anything "screamo", whether it's referring to the vocal style or any music involving gritty vocals. I firmly believe "screamo" is the most retarded word ever made up and is only used by idiots who can't comprehend differences in subgenres. Anyone that refers to a band that was a large turning point in metal "screamo" should be sterilized.
Two cents.

This might be one of the most ignorant things anyone has ever said about music. Not sure how old you are but the term was started in the early 90's describing bands like You And I...PG99...Behind Trees etc. I hate it when people use it to describe anything within the last 15 years.

Antimatter

Reaction score
Mentioning Dream Theater as a reference to someone when they asked what I'm interested in. They responded by saying: "Oh yea, my last band used to play super-sped up blues too." :scratch: :nono:

It makes me mad when people associate Dream Theater with noodling because they don't really have any songs that are any more wanky than any other metal band. It's like the only thing they've ever heard by them is the last minute of "This Dying Soul":lol:

heyimdallas

Reaction score
This might be one of the most ignorant things anyone has ever said about music. Not sure how old you are but the term was started in the early 90's describing bands like You And I...PG99...Behind Trees etc. I hate it when people use it to describe anything within the last 15 years.

Most ignorant? Doubtful. I highly doubt anyone who mentions "screamo" has any idea of how it came about. It IS used by people who can't differentiate between genres of metal, you can't deny that, considering you say you hate it when people use it for any band within the past 15 years. But, either way, I'm 17, so that was a few years before my time and I'm not even going to pretend I knew "screamo" bands actually existed, I concede to that. But when you get into calling it more ignorant than anything else ever said about music, that's pretty far off. So, I'm half ignorant, you're half contradictory haha. :fawk:

liquidcow

Reaction score
Only just remembered the absolute most ignorant thing I've ever heard anyone say about music, or metal at least.

I once knew someone who claimed that My Dying Bride were Emo. Now, to this day I don't know if he was just an absolute idiot, or if he was getting My Dying Bride confused with another band starting with 'My'. I planned to play him something like 'The Sexuality of Bereavement' and challenge him to call that Emo. He's not someone I ever want to have anything to do with ever again anyway though.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
It makes me mad when people associate Dream Theater with noodling because they don't really have any songs that are any more wanky than any other metal band. It's like the only thing they've ever heard by them is the last minute of "This Dying Soul":lol:

Agreed. I was a hardcore shred-hater until Dream Theater. Petrucci showed me you could shred in a way that was absolutely beneficial to the music. That aside, shredding seems to be a very minimal component of the Dream Theater experience; taking a backseat to complex time signatures, dynamic structures and complex melodies and harmony.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Yep, metal is stupid for talking about things like preventing nuclear travisties, promoting individual liberties, and exploring concepts such as other worlds and dimensions.

We all know that its all about rap and pop and how they talk about your next failed attempt at donating to that sperm recepticle they call a whore.

I find it funny how ppl say metal is so violent, yet emo is filled with whiney kids who cut and try to off themselves.

The REALLY funny part about that is if you ask an emo kid why they wanna do that to themselves, they respond with things like, "My parents got divorced and dont love me." or "My boyfriend/girlfriend broke up with me and I cant live without them!"
But if you take a look at some of the crap some metalheads have been through (if you can even get them to talk about it) like
"I spent 10 years of my childhood in and out of foster homes because my dad is crazy and has repeatedly tried to murder me." or something to that effect.

Metalheads tend to have experienced INFINITELY worse things in their life, yet are far less unstable and sure as hell dont whine or bitch about their issues and try to hurt themselves over it.

Absofuckinglutely. I think its horrendous to ignore what the scene trend has done to dilute the community. Sure, call me a purist, I dont fucking care. There are plenty of metal bands with substance and a reason behind it. The emotion is justified. Then there are the bands that sound like they're crying on every track and you look at their bio and find out they grew up in the suburb under high middle class conditions.

As someone who saw his dad try to kill his mom repeatedly, then saw his mom attempt suicide,ect, I dont fucking care about your parents post-childhood-divorce or your 15 yo gfs lack of fidelity.
By no means am I trying to start a pissing contest, but there are bands that say something. Then there are bands trying to fit into what is being said.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
No offense LoG fans out there, but Chris Adler is absolutely nothing special. He plays a lot of generic metal stuff and never innovates anything. Or at least from what I've heard of his drum solos. Nothing but fast, no musical or technical quality, just 10 BPM faster than some others.

How ironic that someone posting an example of ignorance within music should post something equally ignorant.

Reaction score
I firmly believe "screamo" is the most retarded word ever made up and is only used by idiots who can't comprehend differences in subgenres.

Most ignorant? Doubtful. I highly doubt anyone who mentions "screamo" has any idea of how it came about. It IS used by people who can't differentiate between genres of metal, you can't deny that, considering you say you hate it when people use it for any band within the past 15 years. But, either way, I'm 17, so that was a few years before my time and I'm not even going to pretend I knew "screamo" bands actually existed, I concede to that. But when you get into calling it more ignorant than anything else ever said about music, that's pretty far off. So, I'm half ignorant, you're half contradictory haha. :fawk:

I didn't contradict myself at all. I never said noone uses it wrong. Yeah...it IS used wrong...but doesn't mean it's ONLY used by idiots blah blah blah like you said. I mention "screamo" when reffering to REAL screamo bands...and so do all of my friends who are/were familiar with those bands at that time. It's not "the most retarded word ever made up" when it's an actual genre. Sorry it existed before you were born...but doesn't mean you can hate the word just because you don't actually know what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')