What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Axx

ss.org guy
Reaction score
hmm... i was in the music room at school and i was playing my 7 string, and this kid in the year younger than me (i was in year 10 when he said this) said:

him: nice guitar, can i play in?
me: no.
him: why not?
me: cos' i've just bought it.
him: that sucks. can you play any bullet for my valentine?
me: no. i don't like them to be honest.
him: you suck, bullet for my valentine are gods. i listen to the all day. and night. they really speak like i do.
me: i almost pity you.

not really sure this is ignorant or not, but that's the story.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheSilentWater

is a nerd.
Reaction score
It always strikes me as quite infuriating when people say "what's the hardest thing you can play?" or "whos' better , _____ or _____?" (the blanks being guitarists, either famous or from aroundthe local community). It's like, I appreciate your interest, but c'mon, that's not something that can be defined as easily as that.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I'm currently in a youtube argument with someone who thinks the black dahlia murder isn't melodeath because they don't sound like in flames.

Murmel

Reaction score
hmm... i was in the music room at school and i was playing my 7 string, and this kid in the year younger than me (i was in year 10 when he said this) said:

him: nice guitar, can i play in?
me: no.
him: why not?
me: cos' i've just bought it.
him: that sucks. can you play any bullet for my valentine?
me: no. i don't like them to be honest.
him: you suck, bullet for my valentine are gods. i listen to the all day. and night. they really speak like i do.
me: i almost pity you.

not really sure this is ignorant or not, but that's the story.
I also like BFMV :ugh:
Scream Aim Fire was the first song I ever learned on guitar, and I did it on a nylon acoustic because I couldn't afford an electric :lol:

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
I had someone a while ago try to tell me that Children of Bodom were a Black Metal band. I lol'd.

Captain Axx

ss.org guy
Reaction score
I also like BFMV :ugh:
Scream Aim Fire was the first song I ever learned on guitar, and I did it on a nylon acoustic because I couldn't afford an electric :lol:

nice! my first guitar was a nylon acoustic that my junior school lended to me, they never asked for it back so i kept it! :yesway:

BFMV are ok, just couldn't get into them.
but this kid is completely obsessed with the fuckers!

liquidcow

Reaction score
It always strikes me as quite infuriating when people say "what's the hardest thing you can play?" or "whos' better , _____ or _____?" (the blanks being guitarists, either famous or from aroundthe local community). It's like, I appreciate your interest, but c'mon, that's not something that can be defined as easily as that.

I've had a worse variation than this. This was during a theatre production I was involved with. I was asked "Are you a better guitarist than Mike?". Mike was another cast member who played guitar. The difference was that I'm obviously a lead guitarist of rock and metal, while Mike was a comedian who played funny songs (think Stephen Lynch kind of thing), so his playing was essentially stumming chords while he sang, which was all that was needed (and he was very good at what he did).

I basically said 'well we play completely different types of music, so it's not really like you can make a comparison', to which they replied 'so that's a yes then'... This kind of continued in a circular fashion for some time.

conflagrationnh

Reaction score
Vocalist of my band: Hey check out my band (to some other kid)
Random kid: Okay dude
Vocalist: what do you think?
Kid: sounds like disturbed.

This is sad because we are a death metal band.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
I've had a worse variation than this. This was during a theatre production I was involved with. I was asked "Are you a better guitarist than Mike?". Mike was another cast member who played guitar. The difference was that I'm obviously a lead guitarist of rock and metal, while Mike was a comedian who played funny songs (think Stephen Lynch kind of thing), so his playing was essentially stumming chords while he sang, which was all that was needed (and he was very good at what he did).

I basically said 'well we play completely different types of music, so it's not really like you can make a comparison', to which they replied 'so that's a yes then'... This kind of continued in a circular fashion for some time.

Well, as far as technicality is concerned, then you probably are better if all he does is strum chords.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
heres on from just a couple minutes ago

*listening to some cynic*

bro: wtf is this shit?

me: ....its music....

bro: sounds like shit, you always go on about how mainstream stuff is garbage when ur listenin to some fag sing with auto tune

me: (holding back from throwing fists) its a vocoder. doesnt listen to it if you dont like it.

bro: (goes downstairs and puts on some bring me the horizon)

me: (extreme facepalm)

liquidcow

Reaction score
Well, as far as technicality is concerned, then you probably are better if all he does is strum chords.

It's not whether it's true or not so much as the pointlessness of asking the question. If I were being totally honest I would say that I was a more technically skilled guitarist, but to me it just seemed irrelevant. For his style of music, which I found to be just as valid and entertaining as mine, his playing was as good as it needed to be because the focus was more on the songwriting and lyrics. Just because the guitar playing in it is much simpler doesn't make one 'better' or 'worse'. The ignorant aspect of the question I think is creating an element of competition where there isn't one, and in a different situation it would have been stirring up hostility and awkwardness for no good reason.

zero_end

Lurker
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard some funny stuff as well.

A while ago I was listening to a couple of dudes talking about music and this tool starts ranting something like this: "what? Queen?? They suck! No, really, what's their contribution to rock music? Mixing opera with rock..... big deal!" then he proceeded to praise AFI for being an innovative band, go figure :spock:

Peekaboo_eeeeek

Lady_Elixer
Reaction score
First: +1 for this thread & the replies - made me LoL lots!! :lol:

My favourite example of stupidly ignorant people:
Whilst standing outside a local gig venue in Milton Keynes, UK, where there is a "metal night" for local bands. A "scene kid" (dunno what you guys call this kind of person - basically, a kid that hangs around local gigs but doesn't know ANYTHING about the bands/music/wtf is happening & dresses like a designer rainbow spewed on them) walks up to my friends (who are all in a band together) & I and says the following:

Kid: Are you guys in one of the bands playing tonight?
Friends: yeah, we're playing 3rd.
Kid: So you're into metal music?
Friends: ....yeah....
Kid: So you guys worship satan & slit your wrists?
Friends: *blank look* erm... no...
Kid: Oh...so you're just angry & violent in general then?
Friends: .....no....
Kid: So why make such angry music?
Friends: It's not angry, actually...if you listened to the lyrics, it's about all different stuff...
Kid: *blank look* ......there are lyrics? I thought you were just shouting into the mic like you were in pain, like most emos...

:nuts: :noplease:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
^:lol::lol:

One thing that isn't necessarily a specific incident, is when people complain that a band has "too many" guitarists... like: "Wtf, they have three guitarists they only need one!" I've never seen a band 2 or 3 guitarists that didn't utilize the potential... the thing is that i mostly see these kinds of comments on session bands backing up solo artists, which makes the comment even more dumb because there's no way in hell that the record label would pay an extra guy to tour if he didn't fill a purpose.

People who say those things generally don't know anything about how many guitars they're actually hearing on most of the records they listen to.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
First: +1 for this thread & the replies - made me LoL lots!! :lol:

My favourite example of stupidly ignorant people:
Whilst standing outside a local gig venue in Milton Keynes, UK, where there is a "metal night" for local bands. A "scene kid" (dunno what you guys call this kind of person - basically, a kid that hangs around local gigs but doesn't know ANYTHING about the bands/music/wtf is happening & dresses like a designer rainbow spewed on them) walks up to my friends (who are all in a band together) & I and says the following:

Kid: Are you guys in one of the bands playing tonight?
Friends: yeah, we're playing 3rd.
Kid: So you're into metal music?
Friends: ....yeah....
Kid: So you guys worship satan & slit your wrists?
Friends: *blank look* erm... no...
Kid: Oh...so you're just angry & violent in general then?
Friends: .....no....
Kid: So why make such angry music?
Friends: It's not angry, actually...if you listened to the lyrics, it's about all different stuff...
Kid: *blank look* ......there are lyrics? I thought you were just shouting into the mic like you were in pain, like most emos...

:nuts: :noplease:

You guys worship satan and slit your wrists? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

liquidcow

Reaction score
^:lol::lol:

One thing that isn't necessarily a specific incident, is when people complain that a band has "too many" guitarists... like: "Wtf, they have three guitarists they only need one!" I've never seen a band 2 or 3 guitarists that didn't utilize the potential... the thing is that i mostly see these kinds of comments on session bands backing up solo artists, which makes the comment even more dumb because there's no way in hell that the record label would pay an extra guy to tour if he didn't fill a purpose.

People who say those things generally don't know anything about how many guitars they're actually hearing on most of the records they listen to.

This is like all the comments you hear about Terry Bozzio's kit. So many comments on YouTube and so on saying 'lol he doesn't even play all the drums', as if he should be using every single part of the kit in every section of every song. It's a bit like going to see a piano concert and saying 'lol the piano player didn't even play all the keys'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')