What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Axx

ss.org guy
Reaction score
That's not really ignorance but an H chord is just German music theory for a B chord. Unless he didn't play a B he was perfectly correct.

really? i didn't know that! nice.

but it wasn't a B chord he played, it was more random notes than anything

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
"Metallica is Death Metal, and there will be no satanist in this house!" - My Mom, 2000

Gotta love her but her idea of music is some motown.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Someone on youtube told me that periphery is deathcore. Really?

clouds

Reaction score
Well there is the possibility someone has an RG2228 there, so I must brave the army of cunts and look for myself.

Apparently there is a sign in the bass emporium saying 'if you don't have any money, don't waste our time!'. Weak.

Fail. It gets so much hype, but only because loads of shit bands bought their instruments of fail there. There's like, two non Gib/Fend/Epi shops there. :lol:.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
I've had variations on this conversation so many times... It's always non-guitar players as well, and they're always so shocked and appalled to hear someone say he's not the greatest ever. It's the ultimate in received opinion. And the response is almost always 'so who is the best then?', not at all considering that maybe there is no 'best', so much as people who are very good in different styles, and that it's a subjective thing anyway.

I always have a stock response for this - Allan Holdsworth.

Not because I actually believe Holdsworth to be the objective "best" (though if some formula was created to do so he'd probably be near the top), but because I like having an answer ready so it doesn't extend to a debate over whether or not you CAN objectively judge who is best.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
I always have a stock response for this - Allan Holdsworth.

Not because I actually believe Holdsworth to be the objective "best" (though if some formula was created to do so he'd probably be near the top), but because I like having an answer ready so it doesn't extend to a debate over whether or not you CAN objectively judge who is best.

But then you don't get to piss people off!:lol:

Reaction score
heres on from just a couple minutes ago

*listening to some cynic*

bro: wtf is this shit?

me: ....its music....

bro: sounds like shit, you always go on about how mainstream stuff is garbage when ur listenin to some fag sing with auto tune

me: (holding back from throwing fists) its a vocoder. doesnt listen to it if you dont like it.

bro: (goes downstairs and puts on some bring me the horizon)

me: (extreme facepalm)

He used autotune for the new album. The old stuff was all done with a vocoder ;)

clouds

Reaction score
He used autotune for the new album. The old stuff was all done with a vocoder ;)
If this is true then imo Masvidal is one ballsy mofo. People immediately shun autotune due to its normal use of making shit singers sound good, but he's used it in a creative manner to, as I read, give his voice an "alien-istic effect".

Forresterc

Reaction score
If this is true then imo Masvidal is one ballsy mofo. People immediately shun autotune due to its normal use of making shit singers sound good, but he's used it in a creative manner to, as I read, give his voice an "alien-istic effect".

vocal effect vs. vocal crutch.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
So went to Denmark Street today, and while there was no 'ignorant' statements other than the prices, we did get some shit service.

My friend we'd finished with the guitar we'd been playing (It was on a high holder and we didn't want to hit another guitar, rather them to the risky business and most stores prefer it that way in my experience), and he looked at my friend and said 'what do you want, a medal?'. Joe responded, quite beautifully I might add, 'go and put it back you cunt'. :lol:

vocal effect vs. vocal crutch.

Yeah, but the image built up around auto-tune nowadays is such that even hearing a bit of it immediately makes some people shake their head, which is unfair on him as he uses it as an effect as you say rather than compensating for lack of skill. Hopefully people don't heard that and dismiss him because of it.

clouds

Reaction score
So went to Denmark Street today, and while there was no 'ignorant' statements other than the prices, we did get some shit service.

My friend we'd finished with the guitar we'd been playing (It was on a high holder and we didn't want to hit another guitar, rather them to the risky business and most stores prefer it that way in my experience), and he looked at my friend and said 'what do you want, a medal?'. Joe responded, quite beautifully I might add, 'go and put it back you cunt'. :lol:

:lol: I hate HATE cocky/arrogant/rude music store employees.

Yeah, but the image built up around auto-tune nowadays is such that even hearing a bit of it immediately makes some people shake their head, which is unfair on him as he uses it as an effect as you say rather than compensating for lack of skill. Hopefully people don't heard that and dismiss him because of it.

This is what I meant. +1

Wingchunwarrior

OVER THE LINE!
Reaction score
Happened in college:

Ignorant Black guy:*Talking to girl with jimi hendrix t shirt* Thats Jimi Hendrix init,He's black init?

Girl:Yep

Ignorant Black Guy:what dat broda doing playing sum next guitar blud,should be spitting lyrics like a real gangsta

Me: *look at the girl and simultaneously facepalm.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Happened in college:

Ignorant Black guy:*Talking to girl with jimi hendrix t shirt* Thats Jimi Hendrix init,He's black init?

Girl:Yep

Ignorant Black Guy:what dat broda doing playing sum next guitar blud,should be spitting lyrics like a real gangsta

Me: *look at the girl and simultaneously facepalm.

And that is why stereotypes are based on reality.

The Somberlain

Hollow Man
Reaction score
When I once had a Hendrix shirt, someone thought it was a 2pac shirt, but winced when I said it was Hendrix. Though I like both, some can't take variety:noplease:

TheSilentWater

is a nerd.
Reaction score
Joe responded, quite beautifully I might add, 'go and put it back you cunt'. :lol:
Oh man, I lol'd so hard.

I agreed with the remarks about using auto tune for varying applications (i.e. effect vs. crutch). It seems to me that most non-musicians (or musicians of a certain sort) won't let it bother them, and then a lot of musicians will frown upon its use, no matter the reasons for doing so.

Wingchunwarrior

OVER THE LINE!
Reaction score
So basically one of my best mates used to play drums,listened to slipknot and in flames and so forth.

One day I say to him "hey man check out this band"

He replies "Ah man don't like this type of music anymore, I like techno"

I say fair enough bit of a shock but still fair enough

About a month later he says to me "aw yeah man I gonna be a dj,I just got music software and NOW I can make my own music.

I think to myself, why didn't you make music when you actually did play a instrument and where in a band?

spawnsc

Reaction score
Me: At my desk at work jamming to Lamb of God
Lady Co-worker: What are you listening to?
Me: Lamb of God
Lady Co-worker: How do you understand that music?
Me: What do you mean?
Lady Co-worker: Its nothing but screaming I hear no words..
Me: I understand them fine...
Lady Co-worker: I don't understand how this is talent or music
Me: Did you need something?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Me: At my desk at work jamming to Lamb of God
Lady Co-worker: What are you listening to?
Me: Lamb of God
Lady Co-worker: How do you understand that music?
Me: What do you mean?
Lady Co-worker: Its nothing but screaming I hear no words..
Me: I understand them fine...
Lady Co-worker: I don't understand how this is talent or music
Me: Did you need something?

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')