What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate it when people refer every type of metal as "screamo." It really urks me to hear that word, its not a genre, it is an ignorant person's way of not knowing how to handle a broad and emerging genre called METAL. Also when people say your music sucks, listen to (insert gay band here) WHAT THE HELL? Your fucking joking right? I don't critique your music, because a specific genre isn't better than another, they are made to satisfy the wide arrange of listeners of music, so don't you judge me.

Metal's an emerging genre?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
My friend's brother was having his birthday, and he and his friends are big on getting stoned while listening to the doors and jimmy hendrix and that kind of thing, so I asked one my friends if he was going to my friend's brother party and he replied: "No man, I don't feel like going to an EMO party tonight" and I said, Emo party? What the fuck are you talking about, and he says, "yeah those guys are gonna be smoking weed and listening to led zepellin all night long" I gave myself the most epic facepalm after that.
:nuts:
IMO you win the thread.
9eafe_4033002105_cc17693377.jpg

06_16_3.jpg
[/IMG]

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Too many stories to count.
Plenty of "it's just random noise" or "it's not even music" in reference to my enjoying metal.
One time in college I was listening to Nothing (yup, another Meshuggah story) and this kid on my hall walked into my room during Glints Collide. (He was a big fan of bands like Radiohead, Muse, etc.)

"What's that?"
"Meshuggah"
"You like this?"
"Well, yeah. I wouldn't be listening to it otherwise."
"But he's just screaming! Is that guitar? It's too low! Is that a scale? And you can't even follow the beat!"

Fun stuff.

I love the stories about people not being able to wrap their heads around riff cycling. Lol.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Metal's an emerging genre?

Well I didn't really mean it like that, I meant that every type of metal music out there can't be classified into "screamo" if you know what I mean. But then some music scenes in different cities get bigger and bigger, so it could be an emerging genre, but its whatever.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
Music is music I say!
We all have our different tastes, but I agree, it is rather obnoxious having one person say [insert band here] is 'emo' because such and such person doesn't like them or the singer of said band is screaming. Emo is a derogatory term now pretty much like everyone on here is saying.

But hey, you know, at least some of the screamo/emo bands out there have the balls to go up on stage in front of hordes of people and play their music even if it is somewhat over emotional and whiny. They do so despite the fact that they are hated on and what not. Some of these bands (not all) do it because that's how they connect with their music. People have their opinions and should respect that...however, that won't happen much in the real world sadly.

Anyway, to be on topic the most ignorant thing I've had someone say about my music is:

"you sound like the cookie monster, is that what you want to sound like?"

And another

Guy referring to one of the generes on my ex-band's myspace:

"You guys are definitely not 'hardcore', take it out of your genre"

Me: "we have elements of hardcore in our music; it fits within our subgenre"

guy: "no, you don't play enough breakdowns and none of your band members look hardcore enough, and none of you are straight edge"

So uh, according to this guy, there are aesthetic requirements to playing a certain genre :lol:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember one of our songs being called "lame 80's fagrock revival" on Youtube by a dude. I went to check out his channel and his most recent favourite was this:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I hate it when people say my note choices are to wierd sounding, and i use odd rhythems. Or even better "your facial expressions are offputting", makes me wonder if these people actualy listen to music, or just fingering their bumholes whilst slating people on youtube...

Oh a cheeky dig at the people who didn't like the videos you posted a while back

I see what you did there :squint:

Some of the worst I've heard seem to be about Bass not being allowed lead parts or solos, and that bassists who want to take a solo or play a sort of lead style ala Jaco, Wooten, Hellborg etc "should just learn guitar". I think if you one day learn that any instrument can solo (some are easier to solo with than others, I won't lie, but a good solo is a good solo, just as a bad solo is a bad one) you take a big step above the masses towards musical enlightenment.

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about synyster gates. And he said "Synyster gates is one of the best guitarists out there right now" I was so baffled I almost didn't know what to say. So I referenced to his instructional vid about sweeping and said "Dude those sweeps sounded like shit" to which he replied "Nuh uh! They were so clean!"

If you can't tell the difference between completely unsynchronized garbage and clean sweeps then you're a fucking idiot.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
I remember one of our songs being called "lame 80's fagrock revival" on Youtube by a dude. I went to check out his channel and his most recent favourite was this:

Dude, your band is amazing.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I suppose back on this little forum called Guitarworld where this kid called Blackhell said that the Beatles were crap and less influential than Pantera. I'm confused:nuts:

Gotta love ppl who think that what they think of a band determines the band's overall influence. :rofl:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Some of the worst I've heard seem to be about Bass not being allowed lead parts or solos, and that bassists who want to take a solo or play a sort of lead style ala Jaco, Wooten, Hellborg etc "should just learn guitar". I think if you one day learn that any instrument can solo (some are easier to solo with than others, I won't lie, but a good solo is a good solo, just as a bad solo is a bad one) you take a big step above the masses towards musical enlightenment.

Yes... They'll either say just learn guitar or... Why are you playing it like a guitar... Or that's too busy...

I bought my bass w/ 5 strings and 24 frets for a reason. 'Nuff said... :agreed:

Also... If you're implying that bass solos are more difficult I'd have to agree. Simply because they still have to maintain the groove while soloing. Wooten's fuckin' phenomenal at that.

Sacha

Reaction score
The worst I get is from reviewers saying the music I make has 'no feeling' or 'no soul' blah blah blah...like fuck yes, I spent years locked in my basement perfecting this shit and going into unfathomable debt just for the fuck of it. PRICK! :lol:

Fuel

Reaction score
The worst I get is from reviewers saying the music I make has 'no feeling' or 'no soul' blah blah blah...like fuck yes, I spent years locked in my basement perfecting this shit and going into unfathomable debt just for the fuck of it. PRICK! :lol:
+1 I'm not awesome enough to have reviewers, but I've gotten my playing dismissed by every Dimecore kid at my school because I "lack soul." I guess feeling = slow.

Also, I love how the people who attack "shredders" are either non-musicians, or guitarists who can't play like that to save their lives.

AliceAxe

Reaction score
I've got a guitar related one.

I was at a music store listening to this guy do a clinic about a multi effects pedal, the audience comprised mainly of kids. When asked about the simulated talkbox effect, he seem stumped and proceeded to explain that they created this because normaly to get the effect the guitarist had to stick a cable in his mouth from his amp would get shocked so this solved that problem. It sure seems like it would be something ment as a joke in the telling, but the guy at the time acted dead serious about his explanation. And no one in the audience was laughing. We'll mabee 1 was giggling - me.

Steve08

Reaction score
"this guitarist plays with no emotion/feeling/soul/other arbitrary crap"
I believe you're talking about phrasing there, guy...

"this isn't music"
Anyone who says that is just... :noplease:

Reaction score
One from the other day:

friend Ethan: Dude, do you wanna go to a concert with me?
Me: Not really, I'm not really into the same music as you are.
E: Yeah, we like the same stuff. You like screamo and I like screamo.
M: I don't like screamo. I like deathcore/death metal.
E: Dude, it's a Hellyeah concert.
M: That's hardly even hard rock.
E: It's definately screamo, you'd love it.
M: I don't like screamo. You don't even know what that means.
E: Dude, all you listen to is screamo.
M: *pulls out iPod* *shuffles through a couple songs (Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, Necrophagist, Behemoth, The Acacia Strain...)
E: I told you, they sound just like that.
M: /facepalm

My mom the other day while I was playing along to It's Torn Away by Veil of Maya.
Mom: Why do they play those weird ugly sounding chords?
Me: You mean like this? *plays minor 7th chord (I think, I don't know my theory too well)
Mom: Yeah, that sounds horrible.
Me: It's supposed to be discordant
Mom: What's that mean?
Me: That's the way it's supposed to sound
Mom: They should play guitar like regular people.

Antimatter

Reaction score
One thing I hate is when people say they listen to "pretty much everything" and when you ask them to name some bands they like they list all pop bands. No blues, metal, rock, jazz, anything. Just a bunch of pop.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Just to take a different tack, and show how things might look from outside a particular vantage point...

There are more commonalities between metal "genres" than there are differences. One can look at the roots of heaviness (Zeppelin and Hendrix, for example) and see the line of descent to the modern practitioners of metal.

The best thing I remember from someone who made assumptions about members of SS.org, and their Agile guitar choices, though...

"of all the finishes for an 8-string, which, lets face it, most people play metal on, why natural colors instead of black? ...natural colors don't really fit with metal, no? all the 7-strings have awesome colors, but the 8's are so boring."

The colors were chosen by poll, and black never made it into the top 20 requested colors. The person assumed that the majority of those playing the Agile ERGs were not only playing metal, but also wanted just black guitars. However, the colors were chosen by those who were willing to pay, and the company bowed to their wishes, so it's a case of the market disproving someone's stereotypes.

However... does that mean that metalheads themselves are okay with claiming that black is the natural color for guitars? If a metal fan can say that with a straight face, that would fit outsiders' observations that metal is pretty much the same, regardless of what arguments one makes about the existence of subgenres and their differences....

*laugh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
')