What's the most ignorant thing YOU'VE said to anyone about music?

• Thread starter sevenstringj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
"Rappers don't have skill"

I've grown to enjoy some kwolity rappers in my days of late and regret my youthful ways

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
before i picked up guitar (many years ago) my friend was introducing me to death metal and i turned to him and said, "what's that helicopter noise?"

my friend replied, "that's the bass drum going really fast."

i was even ignorant of what instrument sounds like what!! :facepalm:

liquidcow

Reaction score
before i picked up guitar (many years ago) my friend was introducing me to death metal and i turned to him and said, "what's that helicopter noise?"

my friend replied, "that's the bass drum going really fast."

My ex did a similar thing, I was playing Nile and she asked what that rattling noise was. Actually I'm always mindful of this now when putting double kick into things.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not really ignornant, but quite dumb on my part:

At Jemfest one year, I said to Gabe, "I'll bet ya $10 Rusty can't play [insert some insane, alien-only technical part]...."

I was $10 poorer.

:lol::lol:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to refer to all metalcore, deathcore and mathcore as hardcore, and thought it all sounded the same.
Fast forward to today, I now realize hardcore is in fact referring to hardcore punk, and now, I'm a fan of bands from all those genres, although mathcore especially I'm a fan of now.

Chal

Reaction score
"Electronic music isnt music at all"

Said that pretty much all my life, until I got into House music a couple weeks ago. Havn't really listened to anything else since then.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
when i was a kid you were either a gnr fan or a metallica fan. i was with the gnr camp and methodically explained to everyone else how metallica sucked. then a couple of years later i was a big metallica fan and wet my pants when i met james, kirk and jason outside their hotel before a concert once here in sthlm.

meanwhile i spent my spare time dictating how slayer was some noisy shit and that ompa ompa beat they played in every single song sounded like some comedy clownmusic. a year later i headbanged as me and my band jammed some shitty versions of raining blood and angel of death and loved it like nothing else :lol:

from there i spent my early teens progressing through melodic deathmetal, oldschool death and into tech death and meanwhile i became wiser and less prejudice and stupid lol

now i listen to very varied music, from electronic chill to videogame music, tech death and 70s progrock, ganja reggae and trip hop.. and stuff i really find nothing remotely intelligent with (like country) i still understand that it might not be for me but its good to others, it doesnt have to be complicated and progressive as i love other genres wich are also relatively stupid and simple, like grunge :yesway:

polydeathsphere

Reaction score
i used to think death metal sucked. then i heard Skull Full of Maggots, and for some reason became addicted to Cannibal Corpse. now along with my good ol' death metal i listen to possibly any genre capable of having talented musicians behind it.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ i love cannibal corpse but i really think their tone could be a smidgen tighter :shrug:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I used to say that that Sabbath with Dio sucked just because of pure prejudice against anything that wasn´t Ozzy in Sabbath.

Turns out I´m going to see Heaven & Hell in my birthday this year! I threw the prejudice away and discovered that the Dio records with Sabbath are genius, just like his solo career!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ I can't get into them at all, which is weird because i love death metal like dying fetus :lol:

pat o'brien is clearly really good but his tone is so goddamn muddy to me. i didn't like their older stuff. i didn't like their old singer really. but whoever is singing for them now (i think corpse grinder...?) is fuckin' awesome.

lnname

ss.org awesome
Reaction score
I used to be really snobby about nu metal. it turns out i mist out on a lot of good music

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I once told an accordeon player who was performing some Bach :ugh: to shut the fuck up.....

I still dont know if that was so ignorant from me... :ugh:

Thats the only instrument on which performing some Bach must be illegal!
icon_beurk.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

my fiance´s dad loves playing the accordion. he plays it in the cheesy-as-hell "let´s all get around and sing songs together while i play a disgusting waltz!" way :D

everyone else in that family hates it, and calls it "skrekkspill". the point being accordion is "trekkspill" in norwegian (trekk=pull/drag, since you pull it outwards to make a sound), and "skrekk" means "terror/fright" :lol:

anyways, i guess that if you look away from the evolution of my musical taste, i´ve always been open about it. i´m all about artistic integrity and all that stuff. i always just say "it´s not my taste/style", as long as i can hear sincerity behind the music. if it´s not "real" music, but moneymaking pop music where the art is lost, and replaced by popularity and self-indulgence, with no care for the soul of the music, makes me sick. that´s where i draw the line and announce that it sucks :D

and i have to agree on the thing about discovering meshuggah and bulb and all that stuff, as well as devin townsend, because now i see music as this open-ended thing where there are no rules and all possibility. now it´s hard for me to hear most music without thinking about how it´s being limited and hindered from it´s full potential. i wouldn´t say that´s "ignorant" though.

')