What's the Music Scene like where you live?

• Thread starter Hyliannightmare
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ninjahat

Reaction score
Yes, @ the dude who said "legit metal" If you like it listen, I don't think sectioning yourself from entire areas of music is a good thing.

blessedadversary777

^Will Twerk 4 Gear^
Reaction score
Tulsa metal scene is lame! A bunch of Souther metallers tryin' to cover "Drag the Waters" and play a couple chug-a-lug songs afterwards. I am ready for somethin' creative. Any other Oklahoma metalheads out there? One of my bands needs a drummer/bassist! Lol. Hit me up. Lets do somethin creative...

Zelos45

Chris
Reaction score
and if you play anything besides 2 steps and breakdowns people don't like you:squint:

Yeah, it's pretty much the same here. All my friends that are into prog metal and stuff don't really go to any shows around here because all of the tours with bands like The Human Abstract and BTBAM skip here. The best show we've ever had here (by a lot) was Veil of Maya and The Contortionist (which was unreal! :bowdown:).

Outside of my friend group pretty much everyone likes Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides and all that. Our best local band is probably the only good local band. It's pretty much deathcore with really tight musicianship, I've seen them live before.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
well we have a pretty good scene here actually if you like metalcore/ idk what to call it hardcore which i really do:

August Burns Red
Texas in July
This or The Apocalypse
I, The Breather is close enough to us
Ace Augustine
I am History
Cease The Sky << my band :)

jordanscot

Outlier
Reaction score
I'm from Akron, which offers nothing i'm aware of other than formerly the Black Keys.
As for Cleveland and our 'core' scene we have Sentients.
Every other band here sucks. Especially Fallen Captive who play every damn show.

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
The Metal Scene here in MPLS... a lot of it is the same dudes, different band names. Any band that is smart or wants to do it tours. Or play Fargo and Wisconsin religiously. There's a reason why a lot of metal bands skip MN on tours.

The other scenes though, they're glorious. There's an 90's Alternative revival going on, Hip Hop is pretty alive (Rhymesayers, Doom Tree), some really cool original indie stuff and of course all these Mumford and Sons clones. There's always something going on and it's really exciting. MN is just not really a metal state.

DGKarehere

french dude, Brian
Reaction score
Most known bands here in province of Quebec

Ion Dissonance (mathcore)

Beneath The Massacre (technical death metal)

Blind Witness (metalcore)

Quo Vadis (Death metal)

Obliterate (deathcore) (In my town)

Dallas Strip Club (deathcore) (In my town)

Death Theory (Trash metal) (In my town)

There are other bands like:
- Neuraxis (Technical death metal)
- Cryptopsy(Technical death metal)
- Blackguard(melodic death metal)
- Get The Shot(hardcore)
- La Promesse(melodic hardcore)
- All Day (hardcore)
- Skip The Foreplay(metalcore/electronic)
etc...

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
:noway:

There is no such thing as legit metal. anything-core is just as metal as the ones you listed.

Except looking metrosexual with short hair and trendy clothes while trying to act badass = far from Metal. And that is what most of the bands in the "core" -section from my experience are. Dropping your tuning and turning on distortion don't make you metal. It's much more than just the music, it's way of life. Some old Metal bands made way heavier and more metal stuff in 70s with E-tuning and thin sounds what 99% of these new bands do.

I'm not getting into what bands and what ain't "legit" since i even wouldnt use such term.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Except looking metrosexual with short hair and trendy clothes while trying to act badass = far from Metal. And that is what most of the bands in the "core" -section from my experience are. Dropping your tuning and turning on distortion don't make you metal. It's much more than just the music, it's way of life. Some old Metal bands made way heavier and more metal stuff in 70s with E-tuning and thin sounds what 99% of these new bands do.

I'm not getting into what bands and what ain't "legit" since i even wouldnt use such term.

Yes, and that way of life is "not giving a shit about what other people think." So, if someone in a metal band really wants to be metro with short hair (oh my gawd!!! Short hair!!! The HORROR!!!!) then, guess what, that's metal. If they're just doing it to fit in, that's a different story.

Epyon6

Reaction score
I live in the asshole of america...you guessed it New Jersey....This state is overrun with bad metalcore and a few shitty deathcore bands that have more then 6 breakdowns per song. The music scene sucks over here. The few "decent" death metal bands that are here are assholes and overrated as hell at least the ones I know.....I'm seriously gonna end up moving from here in a few years for pretty much that reason alone.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
I live in the asshole of america...you guessed it New Jersey....This state is overrun with bad metalcore and a few shitty deathcore bands that have more then 6 breakdowns per song. The music scene sucks over here. The few "decent" death metal bands that are here are assholes and overrated as hell at least the ones I know.....I'm seriously gonna end up moving from here in a few years for pretty much that reason alone.

You got Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi, that's at least something:yesway:

Captain_Awesome

Cloudwalker
Reaction score
Sheffield in the UK has an insane metal scene! There's also quite a large Indie scene, but I'd say it's maybe 70% metal in all it's various forms with some hard rock bands.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
Kay, theres the people who listen to rap/pop who have no idea what real music is, theres the creepy kids who listen to screamo/pop, the people who listen to "comedy" music thats basically parodies and shit (idk but thats what my friends like) then theres the people listening to classic rock and stuff like the beatles and zepplin, then theres the people who listen to that weird dubstep and techno stuff, then theres me :lol:

aturaya

Reaction score
These threads make me realize why people think I'm an asshole if I tell them I listen to metal. You guys are so judgemental, lol.

For the record, I wear tight jeans and I listen to the same music all you guys do and more.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Kay, theres the people who listen to rap/pop who have no idea what real music is, theres the creepy kids who listen to screamo/pop, the people who listen to "comedy" music thats basically parodies and shit (idk but thats what my friends like) then theres the people listening to classic rock and stuff like the beatles and zepplin, then theres the people who listen to that weird dubstep and techno stuff, then theres me :lol:

Is there something wrong with classic rock?

Don Vito

Reaction score
These threads make me realize why people think I'm an asshole if I tell them I listen to metal. You guys are so judgemental, lol.

For the record, I wear tight jeans and I listen to the same music all you guys do and more.
I love tight jeans! So snug :sharpie:

Latest posts

')