What's the Music Scene like where you live?

• Thread starter Hyliannightmare
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheEvilsocky

Reaction score
Music, no I'm one of the only musicians where I live, most bands here belong to a church and the best one among them is a bluegrass band called the the Bluegrassholes my guitar teacher is their guitarist.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
A bunch of douchy elitist prog-metal bands. I'm not saying that ALL prog-metal heads are like that, but it seems all of them around here think that "if it's in 4/4 it's ghey"

Makes me so freakin mad

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Cookie-cutter deathcore.

Former most popular band (broke up to form next most popular band):
CRICORIS | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

Next most popular band (vocalist from first band was a second vocalist in this band, a-la Despised Icon, although he's not on recordings IIRC, and they have also broken up):
Haddonfield | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

Seriously. None of our bands that play gigs are interesting. At least my band's pretty interesting (Unexpect meets Opeth meets Meshuggah meets Brain Drill :lol:), but we can't find a drummer to save our life.
Although, there is one deathcore band from about 40 minutes away that plays here quite a bit, they're decent. They play seven strings in Drop G (last time I talked to their guitarist, which was a year ago, when they opened for Suicide Silence, anyway), and they're kinda djenty. They have a music video and stuff, but it's a really generic song. I thought they were more interesting than the rest of the scene. We used to have a cool black metal band, but they broke up.

Murmel

Reaction score
Indie.

(That vid literally makes up for 80% of all bands here - soundwise).

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Straight Edge Hardcore
Drug Imbued Hardcore
Drunken Hardcore

Yeah, thats it. There seems to be a fair few indie bands that kind of pop up for a couple of minutes, and then they end up just stop playing to read books whilst smoking, drinking red wine. Followed by a nice Skate down to the beach to the sunset.

indrangelion

You guys are funny
Reaction score
From Australia here. There are a lot of great hard rock/metal acts to come out of this country, but in Wollongong where I reside...Really boring.

From the metal/heavier side of things, there are just way too many Pantera wannabes around Wollongong and not very good I might add. As for the softer side of things, there's a lot of shitty Indie acts.

But on the plus side, the power/thrash metal band LORD is from Wollongong. Been to a few of their shows and they're just awesome!

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
we have like 4 straight deathmetal bands

8 deathcore that are still going that are all now getting 7's although i was always told it was dumb because i got one along time ago, by some of those people.

and everyone LOVES HARDCORE LITERALLY punk-esque hardcore

boise idaho

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
The scene in my area is terrible, if you aren't in to breakdowncore. The bands that play at what few venues we have here are either completely generic metalcore or top 40 rock cover bands. There's a decent blackened death metal band (think Behemoth) in the area, but I kinda stopped following them as much when they released a couple band members because they weren't Christian. Seriously.

Every Halloween we get bands from a slightly wider area, and that's a good thing. There's decent stoner rock band from Iowa (Biorhythm) that comes around every October, and an awesome straightforward "battle" metal band also from (I think) Iowa called The Horde, who everyone should check out (for fans of High on Fire and/or Lair of the Minotaur).

I'd LOVE to get a funeral doom band going, but the scene here wouldn't support it at all. Sigh.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
the scene here is pretty diverse, though there is a lot of retro thrash and pagan black metal.

let me hype some friends up.

through art - fans of nevermore, scar symmetry, gojira might like this, though they don't really sound like any of the three.

consecration - very pink floydian post metal/rock, I played on this album but left the band because I wasn't feeling the direction they were going in musically.

rain delay - these guys mix a lot of style - female and male vocals

the stone - most well-known black metal band here

instead of a kill - the lone deathcorey band I know of

nothing left - some metalcore

violent chapter - some more metalcore

space eater - beyond awesome retro thrash

and my band, of course :)

indrangelion

You guys are funny
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to add. There's a terrible Guns n Roses cover band in my area that performs every New Years Eve at a nearby park. Every 11.30pm on 31 December, I would grab a drink, and go up to the upstairs deck and laugh my ass off. A great way to end a year ;)

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
I actually think Chicago has a really good scene. Maybe not the *best* musicians but very tight-knit and usually everyone is down to help each other out. (Sometimes a really good thing, sometimes not so much.) It's way better than Boston, L.A. Des Moines, or Tulsa. Those are the only other cities I can comment on.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
chicago has an amazing scene that consists of like 5 people :)

that whole nachtmystium, yakuza, dawnbringer crew.

jack10110

Reaction score
2vcfic0.png
This ^^^

95% of local bands = Hardcore, Metalcore, Deathcore, Crunkcore, Breakdowncore, Scenecore, Floorpunchcore, Ninjacore etc etc...

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
I'd LOVE to get a funeral doom band going, but the scene here wouldn't support it at all. Sigh.

hath been my long time dream :(

scene in here is at least 90% core garbage for metal.

there's a few good bands that i do follow here though:

Kamikabe - Tech-Death/Grind with some other elements
https://www.facebook.com/#!/kamikabe

and a good friend's band, Forbearance, they have a slight old school hardcore feel to them, but a lot of more post elements
https://www.facebook.com/#!/forbearancepa

cbf to think of more

Reaction score
The scene in Ireland is nothing short of abysmal.

There are some good bands, such as Red Enemy and Dorian Gray. For a few years during the last decade there was a popular alternative gigging scene including metal, metalcore (too much of the generic kind), pop-punk and hardcore, but that seems to be dying.

Finding serious and talented drummers and bassists in Dublin is an near-impossible task. The above bands have no idea how lucky they are.

Reaction score
In Reading, UK, there are really two scenes: you've got the heavier stuff, and usually this is confined to hardcore/metalcore/shitcore/[insert word here]core. A lot of douchebags, with properly cheesy melodies, standard song structures and a breakdown every few minutes.

The second scene is really Indie and influences come from shoegaze on the darker end and those truly indie bands you'd see on the smaller stages at Reading festival.

Patriclese

Reaction score
I find Halifax, Nova Scotia pretty eclectic, though the lo-fi indie and singer-songwriter kind of thing usually cuts to the top focus around here.

However, when people want to be creative in this city, they do it well. For example, behold my friends in the fifth dimensional Tupperware Remix Party, bringing you anti-boring dancy space rock:

I'll progressively get heavier here. These guys work hard and for how long they've been a band have built up a great name for themselves, recently got back from playing a few Warped Tour dates. We're Doomed:

Moving along, A Sight for Sewn Eyes are a big part of the younger metal scene in Halifax. They've been playing as long as I can remember going to shows.

Lastly let's cool off with one of my favourite jazz fusion groups from around here. The Riot Squad -- I've studied under their guitarist and trumpeter, lots of ideas all over the place.

Latest posts

')