What's the Music Scene like where you live?

• Thread starter Hyliannightmare
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To the guys from Orlando and Tampa - I never really thought the metal scenes in either of those cities were that great until I moved to Jacksonville. I went to see The absence and literally me and 2 friends and 1 other guy were the whole crowd. When Suffocation came through with The Faceless, Fleshgod and Decrepit Birth there was maybe 30 people there. About 20 of them were slam dancing and left after some crappy metalcore band played. I hate living here because there is never a good show locally. I regularly drive to either Tampa, Orlando or Atlanta to see a decent show.

actually since i made this thread my band has actually played a few more shows and i've meet some cool bands around here

With My Bear Hands | Facebook
is wh
Quarter the Villian
Quarter The Villain | Facebook
one of the best locals imo crazy spazz/tech/grind:bowdown:

Then you got your Abdomen Canvas and Blood By Dawn kind of older style metalcore
ABDOMEN CANVAS | Facebook
Blood By Dawn | Facebook

then you got some kids trying to be all THRASH ATTACK
GREAT AWAKENING, FL | Facebook

then the rest sounds like a mix of all this shit
Devoured By Pestilence | Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/conquerfl
Far From Truth | Facebook
:noplease::noplease::noplease:

what i've noticed so far about the orlando scene is you have bi part of a click or the other bands that you play with will not support you :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chronocide

Total Grind Hell
Reaction score
Most of the bands I know in the Glasgow area tend to use more of an old school metal influence. Like everywhere though, you'll get your crap from time to time

Really? That wouldn't be my summing up of Glasgow at all. Admittedly I don't really dig old school tuff so much so some of that stuff will no doubt pass me by but most of the metal bands around here I think are distinctly modern, well, more modern than "old-school".

To answer the threads title, the scene here is great. Lots going on in just about any genre you can think of. I was actually chatting to a guy last night who does an internet radio show and he's doing a special soon in collaboration with a larger radio station getting Scottish bands on to talk about their favourite other Scottish bands, and just through the conversation you realise just how much great stuff their is kicking about.

And in terms of bigger acts, we get more gigs than anywhere in the country other than London, I reckon. Certainly seems that way when you look at tour dates.

The scene is a big part of why I moved here.

Van Heezey

Reaction score
Lewes, Delaware has to be the worst. I know of three bands that actually play shows. That's not in metal, that's in whatever genre they play, which is usually some cover band.

Reaction score
I really don't like this thread sometimes. People post up videos of shit music and I feel like I have to listen to it so I see what they're talking about. So I play it and I don't like it, then I feel stupid for pausing Dark Fortress and listening to 30 seconds of it.
Wtf.

Reaction score
:noplease: that made me sick. I'm so sick of fancy stage moves taking priority over music. To me, it sounds like these bands write to cater to stage moves. If you want to do karate, it's much easier with out holding a guitar. :noplease:

i agree man, there are 2 bands around here that just tune down to drop who knows what and just do ring outs and breakdowns while they do all that gay ass guitar spin, twirl like a ballerina and run accross the stage lookin like a chicken with it's head cut off:nuts:

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Here in vegas its horrible. Nothing but scene kid/HxC nonsense. I thought i was the only with this problem T_T aha!
though there is the occasional pop-rock meets indie bands out here too.

haha well it depends on where you go. Like Yayos tacos and cheyenne saloon have frequent good metal shows all the time.

The only problem I personally have to say is that we have good bands that randomly spawn. At the same time it's the promoters here who rape the living shit out of their wallets so the bands end up breaking real fast do to financial problems.

It's a damn shame really.

xeL

Reaction score
Mostly Indie/Folk/PopPunk with a few Deathcore and other hardcore bands around, notably meh ones include the following:

Some more decent bands include:

And my personal favorites:

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
lack of a MUCH better term, the music scene in my town is in a coma as of now

most, if not all the local stuff we get over here are either grindcore (count one of my friends bands that he plays drums for, but i dont listen to them), or straight up hardcore bands (and im talking back then, around 2009 or so, when i went to my first show and got into my first mosh pit [and no, i didnt do any hardcore dancing, its not within me]...good times)

i know im on the same boat as everybody else when i say: finding people to start a band that pushes itself away from the "hardcore tough guy" norm is pretty fucking difficult

groovemasta

Reaction score
i agree man, there are 2 bands around here that just tune down to drop who knows what and just do ring outs and breakdowns while they do all that gay ass guitar spin, twirl like a ballerina and run accross the stage lookin like a chicken with it's head cut off:nuts:

I know exactly what you're talking about one band here posted a video of them 'playing' without sound...:lol: their defense was they look cool...

xeL

Reaction score
Funny thing, we played a festival here in Norway and was the act before Rolo Tomassi. Weird music! Spoke a bit with the vocalist, she seemed nice :)

I have a thing for The Dillinger Escape Plan which they are heavily influenced by, out of the few times i have spoken to them they have seemed very nice aswell :metal:

')