What's the problem with these mixes?

• Thread starter Akkush
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Akkush

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have no idea about mixing, just want to know what could be my problem with these kind of mixes:

My problem is that for me, it's just a big wall of sound. I can't clearly hear the guitars.
Is it too compressed? Or the instruments volume are uneven? Or the EQ is not for my taste?

I'm planning recording in the far future, and just want to learn :)

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I guess I'm not really sure what the question is. If you don't like how those mixes sound, don't mix like that. In regards to Lorna Shore, that wall of sound thing is kind of the "sound" for blackened deathcore, especially when it leans more towards the blackened side of things. If you're just getting into recording/mixing I think you'd be better served finding mixes that you enjoy and figuring out how those work instead of trying to figure out what not to do right out of the gate.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
The problem is you don't like the style or aesthetic of the production.

That's it. That's the problem, which isn't really a problem.

Akkush

Reaction score
As I mentioned I have
The problem is you don't like the style or aesthetic of the production.

That's it. That's the problem, which isn't really a problem.

Yes, but since I don't know anything about mixing, I want to understand what kind of production makes this kind of sound. It's not about my taste, but about understaind why I probably don't like this kind of production, since I can't describe it in a professional way.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the thing with this music is, it´s incredibly busy. the drums alone are probably the busiest in all of metal. fast blast beats, fast double bass, all the time, along with that lots of cymbal action. then the vocals can be very dynamic in their performance. you got low growls, hi screaches, and everything in between. so drums and vocals alone take up a lot of the frequency spectrum just because they are so busy.
now in between all that you somehow need to squeeze in the guitars, which naturally take up a big part of the frequency spectrum. and on top of that you maybe got orcestras and choirs you´re suppose to fit in. so by nature this style of music is very tough to mix. you constantly need to make compromises about what should be up front and what should be in the back ground, so you retain some intelligibility.

Akkush

Reaction score
the thing with this music is, it´s incredibly busy. the drums alone are probably the busiest in all of metal. fast blast beats, fast double bass, all the time, along with that lots of cymbal action. then the vocals can be very dynamic in their performance. you got low growls, hi screaches, and everything in between. so drums and vocals alone take up a lot of the frequency spectrum just because they are so busy.
now in between all that you somehow need to squeeze in the guitars, which naturally take up a big part of the frequency spectrum. and on top of that you maybe got orcestras and choirs you´re suppose to fit in. so by nature this style of music is very tough to mix. you constantly need to make compromises about what should be up front and what should be in the back ground, so you retain some intelligibility.

Perfect answer, it makes sence, thank you!

Maybe that's why I tought that it's compressed, because everything sounds too loud in the mix.

Latest posts

')