Whats up with jumbo frets?

• Thread starter Shi7Disc0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shi7Disc0

Lifeisjusta....disco
Reaction score
I have a strat, which is 25.5in scale with "regular" frets. Then I bought a schectar solo-8 which is a 26.5in scale with "jumbo" frets.

Heres the quandary: I like the longer scale length, but my hands arent huge, so id rather get something with smaller spacing between the frets. Probly gonna have to custom order.

Is there any particular reason why the "Jumbo/ Extra Jumbo" frets are so popular, or preferred over regular fret spacing?

Wouldnt it be more advantagous to get smaller fret spacing with IE. a 27in scale, so as to increase the range of the instrument while still retaining the scale length... or is that just it, the frets are proportional to scale length?

Ps: I also wanted to help promote this guys band "Cassini"... amazing stuff:

Sithu Aye

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The term "jumbo frets" has nothing to do with the spacing of the frets, that's where the scale comes it. It has to do with the size of the fretwire used.

The longer the scale, the wider the fret spacing, that's just how it works.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Exactly, so you could have a 24.75" scale guitar with jumbo frets (small spacing between frets but the actual fret is tall) or a 30" scale guitar with medium frets (longer spacing between frets but the actual fret will be smaller).

The range of the instrument has do with how many frets you have (and/or strings).... not the size or spacing.

Smaller frets allow your fingers to touch more of the actual fretboard while taller frets will make your fingers float above the fretboard more. It's all just a matter of preference.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
You can put frets of any height on a guitar of any given scale length. Changing the scale length has no bearing on the height of the frets you can mount in the board. :yesway:

vansinn

Reaction score
It's a matter of correct posture and playing technique. If you're used to play thumb-over, do change this to thumb-under ;)
Give yourself some time to get used to the (slightly) longer fret spacings.
If you play high notes close to the body, you're going to love the wider spacing, and the lil' extra reach from 1st to 4th/5th will soon be a non-topic.

CSF_85

Reaction score
Sounds like you're confusing the space between the frets as the actual frets themselves.

unclejemima218

190 Proof
Reaction score
the size of the frets has no effect on how spaced out the frets actually are. it's just a matter of how hard you press down and your technique.

')