What's wrong with this seymour duncan ?

• Thread starter Johny2wong
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Johny2wong

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy SD SH-16 '59/custom hybrid. So, I contacted the dealer in my country asking about it. They had that pickup in their store. So, I asked them to take photo of it because I didn't want them sending me the wrong pickup.

A couple note:
- This is their ONLY stock for this particular model.
- I ask about photo because I will buy it online. If something wrong, returning it will be troublesome.
- This dealer is listed as international distributor in SD web.

The first photo they sent was

Wijaya_01_rez.jpg

Notice the label say it is the right pickup. But, take a look at my yellow marker. The word seymour duncan is written in the left size alongside non-adjustable pole pieces.

When I check SD web, the word seymour duncan is written alongside adjustable pole pieces. And then I googled this pickup, all photos show the same thing. This is an example that I pick randomly from google.

Asli_04_rez.jpg

So, I asked the store to send me the barcode photo that is located on the side of the box. This was what they send me.

Wijaya_02_rez.jpg

As comparison, this is the barcode photo that I pick randomly from google

Asli_03_rez.jpg

All the number are the same. Only the font size is different.

I'm confuse. The box and label look OK. But, why on the pickup itself the word seymour duncan is located in different location. Or maybe this is just one particular accident where the worker put the wrong bobbin into the pickup.

Can anyone explain this to me ?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I just checked my parts drawer and all my spare Seymour Duncan pickups have a small sticker on the back that notes the model (SH5, SH14, etc). Unless someone peeled it off, you can at least confirm the model that way.

Whether it’s neck or bridge I guess is gonna be the location of the adjustable screws, like you pointed out. The one in your picture is a neck pickup.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I you look at the sticker @ first pic on top right under the thumb it says SD 59 SH-1 so it seems to be a SH-1N in the wrong box. Don't buy it. ;)

This.
Not sure who did it, but the sticker on the front says it's a plain 59 neck pickup (SH-1). Someone--either Duncan themselves, the store, maybe it was a return and the customer pulled a fast one on the store by returning a 59 neck pickup they didn't want for a 59/custom bridge pickup?-- put it in a 59/custom (sh-16) box.

Either way, it's not an SH-16 (59/Custom Hybrid) so don't get it. Ask the store to order a 'new' one because that is not a 59/custom Hybrid, simply by noting that the adjustable pole pieces are on the wrong side and the sticker on the front says it's a 59 ha ha ha.

Johny2wong

Reaction score
To all

Thanks for the reply guys. I didnt buy it and your reply making me 100% sure it is the right decision.

To clarify certain thing.
- the label in the top right corner comes from the store. Actually the label itself, which says sh-1, makes me unsure about this pickup. Maybe the store employee is careless and put the word sh1 because they dont know that '59 and '59/custom hybrid are different.
- I can't know the label below the pickup because the store won't open the box. Their reason, the box is sealed. No payment no opening he box.
- it is so sad seeing an authorized dealer dont know about the product that they sell. If only I can notify SD about this, maybe SD should reconsider their relationship with this dealer.

And again, thank you for your reply.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
A 'sealed' Duncan box is sealed with regular tape. It wouldn't be a big deal to open it, and look at the label. The box is not in great condition anyway. It sounds like the store knew the deal here, and wanted to pass this on to you...and then hide behind some kind of 'no returns once opened' policy.

Johny2wong

Reaction score
A 'sealed' Duncan box is sealed with regular tape. It wouldn't be a big deal to open it, and look at the label. The box is not in great condition anyway. It sounds like the store knew the deal here, and wanted to pass this on to you...and then hide behind some kind of 'no returns once opened' policy.

I agree.
Opening the box is easy, but the store employee didn't want to do it. Here is the story.

I communicated with him via whatapps. I sent pic from SD web and showed the word seymour duncan is in different position. His reply was just, "It is what it is". I continued asking if he has another stock. He replied it is the only stock they have. I don't think he wanted to cheat me or anything. He just didn't understand the product.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I agree.
Opening the box is easy, but the store employee didn't want to do it. Here is the story.

I communicated with him via whatapps. I sent pic from SD web and showed the word seymour duncan is in different position. His reply was just, "It is what it is". I continued asking if he has another stock. He replied it is the only stock they have. I don't think he wanted to cheat me or anything. He just didn't understand the product.

If you are able to order from a different store I would probably do that. Alternatively, just describe to the employee your concerns and that it isn't the pickup it's supposed to be and to order you a 'new' one.

Johny2wong

Reaction score
If you are able to order from a different store I would probably do that. Alternatively, just describe to the employee your concerns and that it isn't the pickup it's supposed to be and to order you a 'new' one.

I have describe it to him. And it seems he just didnt care. 'It is what it is' is all he could do.

To buy this pickup, I ask my friend, a non-guitarist who lives in neighbouring country, to buy one for me and bring it to me when he come back to my country.
If he cant do it. I have to buy from usa via usa buying service. The price will go up because I have to pay additional fee for using their service.

thanks for your reply.

')