What's wrong with this truss rod?

• Thread starter Itchyman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyman

Reaction score
And how do I fix it?
img29211.jpg

Would I be better to take it to a luthier?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tandem

Reaction score
Does it slide back and forth? That would mean that it's not anchored at the other end, and has probably been de-threaded completely, or stripped.

Itchyman

Reaction score
Nope. It stays in place, both with and without string tension.

CORRECTION: It does move :\

Tandem

Reaction score
If it can't be threaded in, you can either take it to a luthier and see what he says (make sure you get an estimate or quote BEFORE you leave your guitar there.. lol) or......

- Remove nut and first fret.
- Surgically remove the first part of the fboard.
- New rod... =\
- Stitch it back up.

Major surgery. :ugh:

Let's see if we can get any other ideas going in this thread, though.

Is the guitar playable btw?

mwcarl

Reaction score
I think if you can push the rod back further into the neck and you can still use the truss rod to adjust the bow in the neck then you're fine. I'm not sure what truss rods Jackson uses, but with the ones that I use that aren't anchored the truss rod could come out depending on how it was installed.

Itchyman

Reaction score
The guitar is playable right now, but I'm going up to Nunavut and I'm in Ontario - It's definitely gonna need some truss rod adjustments :\

Hopefully it's the type that can adjust without being anchored? It'll go in far enough that I can get the tool in the cavity.

Tandem

Reaction score
Try giving it some relief. If the neck actually follows the rod, you're gold, so just put the neck straight again and there's no problem. You'd think, though, that if there was enough pressure from the rod, it wouldn't move very easily.

')