Whats Your DAW and Why?

• Thread starter JTL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
Used to use Cubase 5 and I disliked it. Now I'm using FL studio for EDM type stuff, and trying out Ableton to see if I like it better. Also wanting to try Sonar X2 cause it looks boss. Same with Cubase 7 (they finally did it right).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
I started off with Reaper and I haven't ever felt the need to switch to anything else.
Pro tools is not suited to home recording, Ableton and FL are too specific, Cubase didn't feel intuitive at all when I tried it, Logic is out of the question because I'm a PC user, so there was only Reaper left and I'm constantly amazed by what it can do.
I would like to try Studio One though, I only heard extremely good opinions about it.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
There aren't really any "bad" ones because they all work differently on different computers. There is no such thing as one that is perfect. That said, what do you do the most? Which platform are you on? Are you x64 or going there soon?

PERP

Reaction score
I like Reaper, because for me, it's easiest to use and the cheapest. I also have Ableton 8 but I mainly use it for electronic type shtuff. It just has a better workflow when all my "instruments" require Midi controllers.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i actually use 2 DAWs

i use protools for recording, edits, fades

then bounce it out and put it up in Logic for all my mixing needs, and i love wave burner for mastering

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I use Pro Tools 10 because it came with my Eleven Rack, or as its turning out, my Eleven Rack came with It! I thought a little recording every once in awhile might be fun......:flame:

noise in my mind

Reaction score
cubase/nuendo

I don't really know why, I just picked those have been using them for the last few years. They work great though!

mili9152

Reaction score
Reaper because it's awesome, cheap, and local to the San Francisco Bay Area!

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Reaper....cause I started with Acid Pro and it was very similar.

Plus, it does what I need it to ....except magically turning my crap mixes into something wonderful.

Astral Worm

Reaction score
FL studio (insert laughter here)

most people think it is not a DAW to be taken seriously but the workflow once you understand how to use it (which takes time) is miles ahead of other daw's like raper / cubase.

Recording is not as easy as in reaper or cubase but once you get it, its not inferior either. That being said, programming and arranging music is where FL studio shines allowing me to do one man band stuff really fast (before the ideas dissapear from my head).

FL studio 10 here also! I have been using FL for years programing drums and decided to use it for recording to make it easier then exporting and importing the drum tracks to a different DAW! Only problem I have is sometimes when I record guitars over the drums and try and record another track when the cursor that follows along gets to say the end of of a recorded audio track ...that track moves foward and runs further into the song like its off time. Do you know anything about this? I tried the FL forums and they mentioned a few things but nothing worked!

nutsock

Reaction score
reaper
great price
fairly user friendly
and it was the first daw i put any real time into

ttiwguitar

Reaction score
Reaper. Mostly because I'm so comfortable with it after six years of use. It helps that it's affordable, updated constantly, and is better than every other DAW :)

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Well, my questions didn't get answered so I'll join the pack!

I use live mostly. Pissed about a few things in 9 vs 8.4, but I still really like the program. I actually find recording audio very good in live.

I have studio one too. LSS, I got the "artist" version when it was 20 bucks and then when I could upgrade to 2 for 99 bucks I jumped on it. As of 2.5 it's pretty good, but I use live more. I like lives session area.....it's really cool.

I have reaper. In fact, now that reaper is getting some much needed love with midi, I may go back to it as my Riker. But I'm not ready for that yet.

I also have FL, and now that it is x64, I will likely get back into using it for some things. But I'm not really hip on that interface......I've had my license for 10 years. Never really got on with it though.

A couple of others that I don't like and can't resell, but since they work for some I'll not bash.

I'm a host ho with no music to show for it (well, very little) :lol:

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Cubase becasue meshuggah do and my music teacher told me to.

Kylezan

Reaction score
Started on protools 8. Work flow was pretty nice but it was one of the most buggy and annoying programs i've ever had installed on this desktop so i started searching else where after a year or so.

Tried out reaper, which was really cool for what it is, i just wasnt super in love with it.

Now im on cubase 6.5 and its my favorite/main DAW for sure.

')