What's your favorite neck pickup?

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
DIMarzio PAF Pro. It does the PAF thing but much cleaner and less wooly. Props to the Duncan Jazz as well that does something kinda similar.

And the EMG 60 because...
...c'mon, pair it with a JC120. It's a perfect combo.

Also as weird as it sounds; I really like those $15 hot rails ripoffs from those cheapo Fleor/Musiclily brands. I wouldn't say they're my favorite, but for the money it's shocking how much I like them.

jaxadam

Reaction score
^Me and this guy. The PAF Pro and EMG 60 are literally the two I would have thrown out.

I also like the Air Norton, and believe it or not a Distortion in the neck kicks some ass.

Reaction score
I used to be a fan of the Black Winter as a neck pickup (hate it as a bridge)..but the SD Alnico Pro II has become my favorite. It's lower gain so run through a high gain setup it's rather juicy and articulate.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Dimarzio Gravity Storm for me :metal: glassy attack, nice low mid focus, and nothing extreme in the bass. I don't go for a liquidy lead sound, so it ends up working well for my tastes for both cleans and solos. As much as I like the PAF Pro by itself for cleans, I usually use the center position of a 3-way switch for cleans for cleans, along with a Dimarzio Dominion in the bridge.

Unfortunately for me, there is no 7 string equivalent of the Gravity Storm. The Bare Knuckle VH-II is my favorite 7 string neck pickup I've found and stuck with, though. It's a little more vintage-flavored than the GS, but I still really like the overall voicing and versatility for all of the same applications :yesway:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I actually really enjoy my Holdsworth neck pup in my Kiesel. It's the only neck humbucker I've ever really gelled with.

Stiman

Reaction score
Used to be the Liquifire, but I think the Gravity Storm is better. Less muddy, very clear and articulate.

Edit:
For 7 string, I like the Liquifire 7

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Singlecoils sound pretty damn good. Low output paf probably second. Not too much low end is key for me.

Someone sent me a clip of their strat and it sounded nearly acoustic.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Gibson BB2
EVH Wolfgang
Peavey Wolfgang
SD 59
Dimarzio 36th

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
SD 59 neck
BKP Cold Sweat
BKP Silo neck.

they all do the mellower liquidy tones I love for solos. If you like the alnico pro ii then you'd probably like the 59

Stiman

Reaction score
Would love to get multiple pickups if DMarzio and Seymour Duncan would implement a quick connect system. I would swap em in and out as I feel like on all my guitars.

Sadly they won't do it. So much money left on the table by these companies...

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dimarzio imperium
Dimarzio evo

But I dont have a ton of experience.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
SD 59 neck
BKP Cold Sweat
BKP Silo neck.

they all do the mellower liquidy tones I love for solos. If you like the alnico pro ii then you'd probably like the 59

The Cold Sweat is more liquidy than I typically like, but it would definitely be my first choice for that sound if I had a dedicated shredding guitar :metal: the '59 is my favorite Duncan neck pickup for the same reasons I like the VH-II as well

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
6 string: Probucker in my Epiphone SG standard 61. Just the right amount of bass but it's fault balanced with clarity and high end. It can be pretty for cleans or nice and thick for heavy/sludgy tones. Probably my overall favorite of anything in this list.

7 string in no particular order: Air Norton, V77's in my 1527 or '00 7420. I like the V77's quite a bit for clean tones and light overdrive tones with delays/verbs/effects. I'll use it for a more husky sounding heavy tone of needed. The AN also has that husky quality to it, maybe a little more clarity?

Honorable mention to SD 7 string Blackouts. The neck is fairly balanced, maybe even kind of neutral sounding? It has some character but I don't use it a lot.

8 string: I only have experience with the stock Ibanez pickups in the RG8 and RG8 or SD Blackouts. The stock RG8 neck was decent for cleans, okay for heavy tones. I never used it much. The RGA8 pickups are an atrocity and should be burned with fire. They were replaced with Blackouts which great on everything for me. I think I'll be happy with them for a long time in the RGA8.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't really have a lot of neck pickups I like but I remember the Air Norton being a standout. I only like 1 neck pickup I have right now which is a sustainiac. It sounds like a big mellow single coil, really dark and smooth but with a good twang and a lot of output. The BKP Cold Sweat is close but it's too low output. Same with the jackson rail pickup in my SDK. The lundgren m7 neck is just meh and I can't get down with the Bill Lawrence L500 neck. It's too bright and while it sounds cool in certain applications, it's more harsh than the bridge pickup for soloing and I have to use the varitone and boost circuits to get it smoothed out and increase the output so it's usable.

People say the sustainiac is built to sound like a 59 so I guess I'll just say 59.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The Dimarzio LiquiFire, Dimarzio Titan 7 neck, and the Duncan Alpha are my top 3.

I used Duncan Alnico II Pro neck and Distortion neck for quite a while, and still have those equipped on three of my guitars, but am definitely liking the clarity of those three, especially the Titan neck in parallel.

As a close runner-up, the EMG 60x is no slouch. I definitely like a ceramic magnet and a wind with strong and clear fundamentals in the neck position.

vibrantgermancities

Reaction score
I’m just going to echo a lot of comments above and go with the Cold Sweat or Dimarzio 36th depending on situation. Also enjoy a Dimarzio Heavy Blues 2 for some pseudo-single coil action.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
my favorite tone is definitely a vintage style single coil with A2 pole pieces, but low output singles are not the most practical for my rig. In practice my favorites are the PAF Pro in humbucker guitars and a Chopper or Pro Track in HS or HSS setups. I'm interested in trying a Satch Track as well

')