What's your favorite SONG?

• Thread starter The Dark Wolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, what's your favorite all-time song? I mean, think outside of the box, too. It might not be rock/metal, even. Could be a lullaby. I'll start out, as an example (and BTW, trying to pin down ONE song is pretty tough, so feel free to list a few to get you in the ballpark. For me, I can't pick ONE, although I'll list what I guess could be the top, and then a few more that are right in there, maybe tops on any given day) So maybe, favorite five songs, which any ONE could be the most favorite? ;)

1. 'Purple Rain', Prince
2. 'The Christmas Song' (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire), Nat 'King' Cole
3. 'Rhapsody On a Theme of Paganini' ('Somewhere In Time' song), Sergei Rachmaninoff
4. 'Kashmir', Led Zeppelin
5. 'Amazing Grace', John Newton (Esp. bagpipe versions. Chills)

What about you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Tie between "Scarred" & "Change of Seasons" by Dream Theater.

Everything else is secondary.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Can't say for sure. But some of the songs that I have really really liked for a long time are:

Bauhaus - In The Flat Field
X Japan - Scars
At The Drive In - One Armed Scissor
AFI - The Prayer Position
Nirvana - Milk It

jakeskylyr

Reaction score
I'm kinda with you here. Awake is definitely my desert island disc. I always knew you and I were on the same page with that.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
if I was to limit it to one, I'd probably have to say "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Stones. I'm tempted to give a few honorable mentions, but it'd be a LONG list, so for the time being I'll merely say that I don't hate one hit wonders sheerly for Spacehog's "In the Meantime" - that song is soo good that it doesn't matter that the rest of the CD (and every one that followed, loL) is absolute crap.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Hm...Tough call.. but..
Testament - Electric Crown (All opinions are subject to change ;p)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
if I was to limit it to one, I'd probably have to say "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Stones. I'm tempted to give a few honorable mentions, but it'd be a LONG list, so for the time being I'll merely say that I don't hate one hit wonders sheerly for Spacehog's "In the Meantime" - that song is soo good that it doesn't matter that the rest of the CD (and every one that followed, loL) is absolute crap.

D, I knew you'd have something a little left-of-center. Good choice. Do you like the G n R cover?

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I have been racking my brain for a good hour now. There is just no way for me to choose my all-time favorite songs. There's just too many.

Now, if we're talking full albums, that's easy. ;)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Shannon said:
I have been racking my brain for a good hour now. There is just no way for me to choose my all-time favorite songs. There's just too many.

Now, if we're talking full albums, that's easy. ;)

My fiance asked me this question last night, and I was the same way.

I guess the best way to look at it Shannon, is if you can't come up with one, pick a few MIGHT BE potentials. After all, it's just something interesting for us to share, so if it isn't 100 million percent accurate, well... I won't tell :lol

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try to come up with something later tonight. But for now, it's time to get ready and head off to Gigantour today! :hbang:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Stones? Left of center? "Beggar's Banquet" is a f'in CLASSIC, dude. :fawk:

(Yeah, ok, I know what you mean, it's not metal, and most of the responses here will be. ;))

I actually didn't care for the GNR cover - IMO the only thing they did right was kick in with some distorted rhythm at the very end. Idunno... That album really impacted how I understand music, as a kid, so naturally I'm going to be pretty judgemental about any covers I hear. :)

Another real left-of-center nod here- there's this traditional celtic tune called "Fhear A Bhata (the Boatman)" that just has the most perfect melody I've ever heard. I'll be doing a cover of this on on this CD I'm working on, providing I can pull it off - it's one of those songs that's just so perfect I'm almost afraid to touch it.

-D

Padraig

Reaction score
Drew are you sure it's not called "the Lonesome Boatman", really old irish tune. If it is I have a cover of it on my harddrive somewhere although its a shred version so you'd probably accuse me of homicide.

I recorded a full demo of irish tunes all instrumental including that, the irish rover, whiskey in the jar and King of the Faries. If its the same one its a beautiful haunting tune.

Back to the thread:
Jason Becker - End of the Beginning.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a tough one, but I'll have to go with an old favorite and a new favorite:

Blood Roses - Tori Amos
K'm Pee Du-Wee - Steve Vai

Yeah, I know, I'm not metal like everyone else.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll break it down into 2 choices:

Favorite song of all time = Orion - MetallicA

Only song I'd be allowed to listen to for the rest of time = A Change Of Seasons or Dante's Inferno (Gotta pick a long one so it doesn't get boring)

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
jakeskylyr said:
I'm kinda with you here. Awake is definitely my desert island disc. I always knew you and I were on the same page with that.

I know, it's like you and I should play in a band together or something. :D

Actually, if you're ever back in Arizona, or if I ever move to NY/NJ, you and I are doing an album together, Cacaphony style.

jakeskylyr

Reaction score
That would rule! I would be totally down for that. It's been a long damn time, it'd be interesting to see how we'd interact now that we've been through so much more. 7 string shred rules!!! :shred:

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
jakeskylyr said:
That would rule! I would be totally down for that. It's been a long damn time, it'd be interesting to see how we'd interact now that we've been through so much more. 7 string shred rules!!! :shred:

It would definitely be different than Obscure. I think if you and I ever did a project together, all the songs would be 7 minutes plus, and we'd wind up sounding like Symphony X without the neoclassical tendencies. It'd be pretty fucking cool, I think.

')