What's your guitar (hi)story?

• Thread starter cataclysm_child
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighPotency

Reaction score
Got a "Fender" Starcaster (one with the arrow headstock, apparently those are better somehow) pack from Costco for Christmas I think when I was in 7th or 8th grade. It sat around for a long time until I got really into guitar hero the summer after 8th grade and I decided it would be really cool to learn the songs on a real guitar. I started playing in October of '07, my freshman year of high school.

Stupidly, I thought my guitar sounded bad and was holding me back so 6 months later I decided to get myself an early birthday present and finance a Gibson Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahogany. I know, financing is stupid, but it was 0% interest if paid off before 12 months, which I did. When I found out the outrageous amount you had to pay if you didn't pay if off before then, I made sure i got that paid off well in time.

I started to smart up and realized I needed a better amp (at that point i was still using the Squier SP-10 amp that came with the starter pack). Over time, I went from that to a Vox AD15VT (pretty solid; lasted me about 6 months and I resold it for $25 more than I got if for lol), then a Peavey Vypyr 15, then a Peavey JSX 2x12 combo.
But back to guitars!

I decided my Les Paul's neck was too thick and was holding me back, and I needed a floyd rose! I was set on the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR for a Christmas present (same year as the Les Paul). Looked great on paper, but once I actually tried one I hated it! Luckily I saw a used Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP at Guitar Center in October. To my complete surprise, it was in my hands come Christmas- my parents bought it in October and Guitar Center held it there until December for them!

My next guitar was an RG7620. I hated Ibanez for a while, but once I tried my friend's RG7620 I was sold. Until that point, I had only played the cheap Indonesian ones which I dislike the necks on, but I love the MIJ necks. Unfortunately, I decided to part with it about a month later because I was just not skilled enough to use it properly.

Next was an Ibanez RG570. Got it in near-mint condition from Guitar Center for $380+tax. I was actually on my way to Cabelas, checked GC's used website shortly before I left, saw that at a Guitar Center that was on the way so I decided to stop there on the way. As soon as I held it, I knew I would buy it. After a while I scored a Dimarzio Crunchlab/LiquiFire set used from a Guitar Center in NY for $45 each and threw them in it.

After a while, I got asked to join a band. We wanted to get into 7 strings so soon enough I had an RG7421 I got used with a Dimarzio Evo 7 bridge and Blaze 7 neck. Also got it signed by most of Periphery (Jake was out with his broken finger when I saw them).

After a summer internship at a sheet metal forming company, I decided to get myself a treat. I bought a Takamine G340 acoustic (used).

Most recent was my RG2120X. For my birthday, my parents paid for part of it. It has the Ultra Prestige neck which I would highly recommend you try! It's a wee bit thicker than the typical Wizard neck and a bit rounder but extremely comfortable. It's also the same profile John Petrucci had on his signature guitars, which explains why it feels something similar to the necks on the MusicMan JP series.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
1. Ibanez GAX70
2. Schecter Omen 6
3. Jackson RR3
4. Epiphone Korina Explorer
5. Jackson King V
6. Kramer Striker 424
7. Ibanez RG350DX (won it from the Mayhem Fest tour)
8. Ibanez 7321
9. Ibanez S470DXQM (I do miss this guitar, it was fantastic)
10. Agile Intrepid 828
11. No-name brand Star-shape guitar
12. Gibson Gothic Les Paul
13. Gibson SG Firebrand Deluxe (this was another fantastic guitar)
14. Fender '72 Tele Deluxe
15. Gibson SG Special
16. Steinberger GR4R :)wub:)
17. Fender Highway One Strat
18. '99 Parker Fly

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
1. 1984 Tokai Goldstar Sound Strat - sweet, sweet strat
2. 2000 BC Rich Platinum Warlock - in pieces, awaiting refinishing in white texture paint
3. Unknown year, Ibanez AX7221 - sold, but in hindsight, I should have kept it for a project
3. 2010 Ibanez RGT6EXFX - black with EMGs? Ehhhh OK, I guess
4. 2000 Ibanez RG570 - poop sparkle brown! Ugh >.<
5. 2011 Ibanez RGD2127z - preciousssssessss

Addie5150

Amidst the chaos
Reaction score
1 Givson
2 epiphone les paul
3 Ibanez 7321
4 Sc607b
5 Loomis signature
6 2127z

haffner1

Reaction score
Pretty sure these are in order, though I could be wrong on some of the later ones. I don't think I left any out.

1. Charvette (1989)
2. PRS Custom 24 (1994)
3. Samick L5 copy
4. LTD M207 (sold)
5. Jackson Rhodes performer series (sold)
6. Martin Backpacker (broke)
7. Ibanez RG 370DX (broke)
8. LTD 5 string bass
9. Agile Custom Hornet 7
10. Samick acoustic somthing or other
11. Agile Hornet Pro 725 (sold)
12. Something made by "Claven" -bought in Thailand
13. BC Rich Jr. V 7 prototype (traded)
14. BC Rich Jr. V 7
15. Ibanez ARZ307
16. Agile Interceptor Pro 727

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
Here's my somewhat tiny list. Italics are no longer owned, starred is coming soon. In order of purchase (as best as I can remember):

1. Squier Stagemaster HH - Got as a birthday present because I wanted to play guitar.
  2. No-name Classical - (father built it in the 60’s)
  3. Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Wanted a Les Paul because I loved Tool
  4. Fender MIM Jazz Bass - Needed a bass, since I had a small home studio going by this point.
  5. Ibanez S1520FB Prestige - Got this for my stint at Berklee. It was either this or an EBMM Petrucci... I still kick myself over not getting the JP.
  6. Ovation 6-string acoustic (mid-70's) - This was my dad's, and I traded it to my uncle for the ES-330.
  7. BC Rich Warlock 7-string (Platinum Series?) - While at Berklee, wanted to expand to heavier stuff, so got this from Daddy's. It was originally strung with flatwounds.
  8. Gibson ES-330 (1967) - Dad's, then uncle's, then mine. A fucking beast of a hollow-body.
  9. Warwick Thumb 4 BO - Bought for a band I played bass for. I pawned it because I needed money. God, I'm stupid.
  10. Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded - Bought for same band, since we'd switch bass and guitar for certain songs. Tuned to dropped-B.
  11. Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Doublecut - Backup for that same band.
  12. Ibanez RG7321 - Got back into 7-strings. Currently in pieces awaiting a refinish/rebuild.
  13. Gibson L130 Acoustic - My favorite acoustic. Love the Bubinga back and sides.
  14. Line6 Variax 300 - My favorite beater guitar. Plays okay, but the technology is just plain amazing.
  15. PRS Standard22 Satin - Moved to Hollywood for Recording Institute of Tech. (RIT). Got this as a proper studio guitar. Sold on Craigslist for so so cheap because I needed rent :(
  16. PRS CE22 - When I bought the St.22, I'd also played this. Actually liked it more, so the next day went back and bought this as well. Now my main 6, and the Matteo Blue finish is stunning.
  17. Martin Backpacker - Got as a Christmas present. Ended up tripping and falling on it, thus crushing my portacoustic.
  18. Douglas 6-string Bass - Picked up for $80 at a pawn shop, as the Fender's neck is warped.
  19. Agile Septor Elite 827 DNC - Was using the 6-string bass as a guitar for Stoner Doom, and decided I liked having the high strings too. The issues with this guitar have taught me repair/setups.
  20. *Agile AL3000 Semi-Custom Baritone (27") - Want to play in dropped A or B again on a 6, and want lighter strings than I had on my Les Paul.
  21. *Bernie Rico Jr. Hesperian 825 Black Friday - Picked up the spot from here. Needed a new 8, and this has much of what I'm looking for.
  22. *Oakland Axe Factory Single-cut 8-string Black Friday - Found Tom by chance, learned he lives a few miles away from the family farm in Maine, decided I'd go with him for another 8-build.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
1. walmart first act strat :lol: but hey, it got the job done.
2. ibanez rg570 in candy apple sparkle green. i had that one for a long ass time before i found this site! i traded it on here shortly after.
3. i traded the 570 for a LTD h-300 in this beautiful aqua green finish, but then money got tight and i had to let her go to a friend. at least i know she has a good home!
4. Schecter omen 8 string. i got this shortly after parting with my h-300. it was a fun 8 string to play around with and it was cheap. after i was done playing a couple after the burial and meshuggah riffs here and there a had the urge to just go back to 6 strings and keep it simple. i traded it towards a....
5. LTD ec-1000 in see thru blue. probably the only guitar i truly regret getting rid of. it played like a dream and was definitely a looker. something about it just didn't feel right to me and the abalone was EVERYWHERE!! i got a good deal and let her go.
6. Ibanez rgexka1 with a crazy nice koa top. got this with the funds from my ec 1000. played and sounded really good but as time went on i realized once again the reason why i didnt go back to ibanez. they always felt like more of a "shredders tool" to me and by no means am i a crazy shredder! i wanted something chunky and with a thick mahogany tone. i traded it towards...
7. LTD H-308 in satin black. to be honest im still in the honeymoon phase with her, but as it stands this may in fact be a guitar i keep for a long time! i decided to give 8 strings another try with a higher quality guitar. it had everything i was looking for at the time. mahogany, EMGs, neck thru, and a short scale (i like a little give to my strings)
8. coming soon... an LTD h-1007! pretty excited for this one. ive heard nothing but good things!

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
here we go haha

1. Cheap Acoustic no name
  2. BC Rich Warlock bronze- needs put back together
  3. Squier Strat I actually liked but it got thrown away somehow
  4. Dean Vendetta xm- piece of shit
  5. Ibanez RG2EX2- sold
  6. Epiphone les paul special ii- sold
  7. Ibanez Rg370dx- trying to save this one
  8. Schecter Damien FR- sold
  9. LTD EC-1000- regrettably sold
  10. LTD H-1000- traded for schecter zv
  11. ESP Eclipse II- traded for rg2610e
  12. Schecter ZV custom- still have
  13. Ibanez RGA121- my main axe, love it to death
  14. Ibanez RG2610e- traded for ESP horizon
  15. Douglas grendel 725- modded, painted, fixed
  16. Samick Acoustic- got for free
  17. ESP Horizon NTII
  18. Incoming LTD MH-327 :shred:

Reaction score
  1. Crate Electra Strat copy (1st guitar; kept it for sentimental reasons)
  2. Squier Double Fat Strat- SOLD
  3. Fender MIM Fat Strat- SOLD
  4. ESP LTD Viper 300- SOLD
  5. Yamaha RBX bass (don't remember the model)- SOLD
  6. Washburn Custom Shop P3- SOLD
  7. Ovation Celebrity acoustic/electric- SOLD
  8. ESP LTD Viper 407- RETURNED (sent it back to MF because I didn't like it)
  9. Schecter Hellraiser C1- SOLD
  10. Fender MIM Jazz Bass- SOLD
  11. ESP LTD EC-1000 Eclipse- SOLD
  12. Schecter Blackjack C7- SOLD
  13. ESP LTD M-1000
  14. Takamine EG350 acoustic/electric
  15. PRS SE Singlecut Trem
  16. Ibanez Premium RG920QM
  17. Charvel "Wild Card" San Dimas
  18. PRS SE Mike Mushok baritone
  19. ESP Eclipse II Standard Series
The last 7 on the list are my current guitars.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
1. Austin Classical Guitar
2. Squire Affinity Stratocaster (starter pack)
3. Epiphone SG
4. Ovation Celebrity
5. Ibanez Xiphos
6. PRS SE Custom 24
7. Agile Septor 727
8. Agile Customized AS
9. Carvin CT624

Somnium

DEATHGRIPPIN
Reaction score
Thuh Land of Ooo, where fake niggas don't make it
I think my first guitar was a transparent blue NJ series warlock, ended up returning it cuz none of my guitarist friends could wrap their head around the floyd lol. Then I was given a squier strat. From that point on I've owned a couple guitars and can't remember the order to save my life. I've had a Jackson MG(?) Dinky(newer model, came with EMG HZ's), a Jackson DK2T, an LTD MH-200, a shitty white warlock with black binding, a shitty black warlock with white binding (Shitknot dude's sig), then I got into 7's. Started out with an RG7321, upgraded to an S7420, and now I'm at an RGD2127z and it's my only guitar. Pretty sure I missed a few too.

SchecterPT

Newbie to the .....
Reaction score
1. Eastcoast Strat copy - It was the last gift that my grandad got me before he passed away so no matter how crap the guitar is I am never getting rid of it
2. Westfield Bass - only got it for a small stint as a bassist in a band, I still have it but its broken.
3. Vintage VRS100 - Its a great guitar and I only paied £120 for it new! Only problem with it is that I had it during my "punk" stage so its covered in stickers :(
4. Peaver Generation EXP - pertty good guitar for £40, its in bit because I got my girlfriend to paint it and I wanted to mod it to hell!
5. No-name acoustic - got it for £20 at Download festival in '09, safe to say I was drunk and I thought it was a good idea haha
6. Schecter 30th Anniversary PT - I got it from ebay for £345 including a hard case. I love this guitar, I just wish it had a 7th string haha
7. Schecter Demon 7 FR - was my first 7 string and its a great starter guitar if you want to get into 7s

And finally my latest guitar my Schecter V-7 Hellraiser Its just a BEAST and in the past 10 days that I have had it I have spent around 20 hours playing it. this may not sound like a lot to some people but it normally takes a month to play 20 hours.

if you want to see pic of the 3 Schecters then click this link... http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/182446-ngd-schecter-content.html

7-even

In the 7th Heaven
Reaction score
1. Cheap Marshall Rock Kit Stratocaster with MG15CDR Amp
2. ESP Viper 400
3. Conklin GTG 7 T
4. ESP SC 607 B
5. Ibanez RGD 2127 Z
6. Fender Squier Vintage Modfied Stratocaster
7. Ibanez K7
8. ESP H 1007

uncle_sprinter

Funny user title
Reaction score
Hmmm. I started playing when I was 13 and i'm 20 now.

1. Yahama EC112 starter pack (long gone)

2. Yahama Acoustic guitar (also gone)

3. Ion strat my friend gave to me (smashed in my road)

4. Dean EVO XM (gutted and then used for parts)

5. Ibanex EX 160 (gave to a friend, needed new frets)

6. Epiphone LP Jr. (Gave to a friend, was useless to me)

7. Ibanez RG120 (my baby <3)

8. Jackson JS30 King V ( gutted but still have all the major parts)

9. Jackson DR7 (still got)

10. Dean Baby ML lightning bolt (neck has been donated to my buddy's woodshop guitar project)

11. Woods acoustic (just sits around, I wanted another guitar and it was cheap)

I have never owned a high end guitar, but tbh I don't mind that. I play for fun and probably always will.

dr_kotasz

Custom
Reaction score
Ex-axes:

Noname nylon-string acoustic,
Jackson JS-10 (if i remember well),
Jackson PS-2, MIJ,
Ibanez RG-7420, MIK,
Ibanez RG-550, MIJ,
Yamaha APX-7A (electroacoustic), MIJ,
Jackson Fusion Professional SX, MIJ (DiMarzio Evo neck/Jackson single/MegaDrive bridge),
Ibanez RG-770 FM, MIJ (DiMarzo Paf Pro neck/Cruiser neck/Fred bridge),
Ibanez RBM-10, MIK,
Line 6 Variax 500, MIK,
Ibanez SZ-520QM, MIK (DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell neck/Paf Pro bridge),

present ones:

Fibenare Erotic Unique 7 (7string custom shop model) ( DiMarzio Paf 7/D-Sonic 7),
Fibenare "The Burning Jimmy" (6string custom shop model - ESP KH-II copy) (DiMarzio Air Norton/Air Zone),
Ibanez JPM-P4 (John Petrucci Signature Model), MIJ (DiMarzio Air Norton/Steve’s Special),
Jackson Soloist SL-3, MIJ (2x IBZ C2 + 1x DiMarzio Virtual PAF),
Furch S21-CR acoustic,
Phillips Guitars Bulldog bass, 5string electric bass, MIK,

metalhead9838772

8 String Player
Reaction score
1st guitar: Oscar Schmidt By Washburn OX10 Red
oscar-schmidt-electric-guitar-red.jpg

Story: One of my friend got his first electric guitar, and I was amazed by how awesome a guitar was at that time. I really wanted to play guitar, so my parents gave me this guitar for my birthday. A lot of my musician friends said that they would never even touch this guitar, because it was "not as good as their Ibanez/Jackson". The funny thing is that they all had Fender/Blackstar/Marshall amps of high quality with good pedals, while I play in a Peavy Solo Series Special 150, which is not that good of an amp, and I still got a better tone than them. They were "jealous of my tone", but still laughed at me because of my "shitty" gear (which actually sounds better than their gear :lol:)

2nd guitar: Schecter Diamond Series Damien Elite 8 Black
Schecter-DamienElite-C8.jpg

Story: Since September 2011, I'm listening to a lot of bands with ERG guitars (Meshuggah, KoRn, Deftones, etc.) and wanted a 7 string guitar. One day, at my local guitar shop where I get guitar lessons, I saw an amazing (and low priced) 8 string guitar. I asked for information about that guitar, and the shop owner said that the price was fixed at 499$, but since I was a fairly good customer. he could let me go with that guitar for only 399$, excluding a lifetime free repairing service for this guitar. My parents bought it for 500$ with the free repairing service, a new guitar strap, a stand and some guitar strings. That was an amazing Xmas gift. :D

Future guitar: I intend to buy an Hello Kitty guitar (LOL) and mod it. I would replace that shitty bridge by a floyd rose, replace that pickup for a Bare Knuckle pickup (Aftermath Humbucker or Ceramic Nailbomb Humbucker) or EMG pickup (81 or 85). I would also order a Warmoth Explorer shape guitar neck, because the original neck on the Hello Kitty Squier guitar isn't really good. :shred:

So that's it...for now :evil:

')