Whats your guitar routine?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Start by defining what you want to work on in general, divide it into parts to practice in chunks like picking, relative chords, learning songs...
Then turn on your amp and proceed to speed pick 3-NPS patterns for 11 minutes straight until frustrated.
Go eat dinner.

cyprian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For those not gigging or playing in bands. What do you do daily/weekly when you play your guitar. What does your routine look like?

For me its
- warm up my fingers by doing some of the excercises with a metronome from john petrucci rock discipline video for 10min
- look up the tab of 2 songs i like to learn and play with the original recording 30min
- try and make 2 riffs and record it - 20min

Thats all i do when i have 1hr to play guitar a week.
i practice scales occasionally just to get a deeper understanding of the music theory behind the songs im learning. Most of the time i learn one song part by part then when i can play it at a reasonable speed i start learning another using the same process. While learning new songs i take regular breaks and practice the ones i already know just so i dont get bored of learning

Reaction score
I hadn't played electric guitar much the past couple years (I was in a medieval/hardcore band playing lute, classical guitar, and hurdy gurdy). That's over now though and I'm really feeling writing and playing heavy stuff again so I've been really working hard to get my chops back and beyond where I used to be. Slowly but surely.

I've been practicing at least 30 mins a day but it's 80% mechanical exercises with some drum tracks I made and some of Bradley Hall's alternate picking backing tracks. (Always been my biggest weakness). Then I let myself write/work on songs afterwards. Usually ends up being more like an hour but I do make a point to do at least 30 mins a day.

The exercises are mostly musical but not all. Some focuses only on left hand finger independence and some only open note right hand stuff, then speed burst followed by the same or similar sequence all at full speed.

I have PDF's and Tuxguitar files I made for a friend of anyone is interested.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
medieval/hardcore
Too late to edit, that was supposed to say medieval/bardcore. :lol:

Anyways, here's a PDF no one asked for! This is designed to be able to be ran through in a couple of minutes. Quick and to the point, easy shapes that allow you to focus mostly on technique and muting. There is a mistake on the first exercise; quarter notes should be all downstrokes while ascending, all upstrokes while descending (alternate for 8th notes of course). Also, the last exercise, the hammer on finger independence thing, hammer on both notes, don't just pull off to the second note of the sequence. I also usually start with the last two exercises that focuses on the left and right hands individually. They were a late addition and I find doing them first is more helpful.

Attachments

• Practice Routine.pdf
    35.4 KB · Views: 2

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Staring at gear, especially on guitar
Not playing scales, so far
Wish to pass too difficult riffs or solos,
Stuck in old paterns without soul,
In trouble with my metronome,
Clean noodling, not in my home
Staring at gear, why not another pedal?
Adding some gear would be a scandal

Last edited by a moderator:

vejichan

Reaction score
Can't beiieve this 1 year post is still going --

I actually haven't played my guitar at all since i've started doing more midi programming with midi bass/midi guitar

Reaction score
Ah yes. The Legendary Ten Minutes.
More like 30 to an hour but it's certainly better than no minutes. It's helping me get my chops back and eventually it'll turn into just a short warmup before other things.

I see now though, this has been the top thread since last year. :lol: Imma keep practicing though!

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Can't beiieve this 1 year post is still going --

I actually haven't played my guitar at all since i've started doing more midi programming with midi bass/midi guitar
Oh shit.. I gotta look at those time stamps. I thought you had started this thread 1-26-2024.

So... no, the thread was dead for over five months. Not "still going"... just resurrected by a guy that... oh my lol... has been a member here for about three years yet decided to finally pull the trigger on his very first post being in this thread... just last week, hey! And in typical fashion, you abandoned this thread for over a year... can't make this shit up.