Whats your "stupid" reason for disliking a brand/piece of gear?

• Thread starter Ojinomoto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
6)Mesa Triple Rectos....can't stand them, never could. I can't even stand things that sound like it (Yet I own a XXX and JSX..it's all about the EQ). They remind me of moronic kids who aren't really into guitar, but it's the new fad and their idiotic parents have the cash. And I'm sure other brands might be this way, but I have NEVER in my life seen gear that sold for list price. Mesa sells for list price (more actually once you add tax) for it's shit instead of knocking a couple hundred off like everyone else. Why? Because you'll pay for it.

...except the thing is, they're really that good. I bought my Rectoverb new, and I feel like I totally got my money's worth. They're absurdly good amps, once you learn how the controls work. don't judge them on every GC Kiddie's 10-0-10 gain-on-ten settings, you need to set them intelligently and really open them up before you'll "get" the amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
my petty dislikes?

1) almost every thing fender with the exception of the J bass and Ash bodied teles with maple boards

2) basswood. instant guitar killer to me. i loath the sound I get out of it, but i do like what other people can get out of it. its also really really easy to dent and chip, which is not good for me.

3) traditional dot inlays on rosewood or ebony. off to the side is fine. i like blocks, fins, teeth, vines, birdes, and arrow/v inlays all pretty much equally along with none. but i cant abide by centerline dots.

4) not a huge fan of non neck thru guitars. not saying they cant be good, just saying it can be a reason for me not to buy. NTB just has a better accoustic sound, which tends to translate to a better plugged in sound.

5) pickup rings. i can't escape this one on most things in my frice range, but they still annoy me. i like my pickups attached firmly to the body.

6) 24.75 scale necks. i can do 25 and up but for some reason i feel cramped if that extra quarter inch is gone.

7) plastic knobs, cheesy knobs shapes, gold hardware, and any thing else that might fall into this catagory. i would make an exception to chicken head knobs on a guitar if it were some thing abstract but not "demonic" looking. bassically if you took the essence of buckethead and made a guitar out of it.

8) anything but jumbo frets. i dont know how people can play with any thing but. not saying i cant, but its sooo annoying.

9) floyd rose trems, and vintage trems. if i am going to use a trem it has to be a kahler (granted i do still have my dinky, but i will live with that. its a jackson) i could probably survive with a ZR trem too, those play nice.

10) any thing less than 24 frets. accoustics and jaz boxes excluded.

11) amps with out a presence control. prefferably with a low end equivalent too. i just like the extra control and i mess with them all the time.

12) fender sized nut width on 6ers

13) black and red dominating the color scheme of guitars

14) pastel colors

15) bad intonation. i know its easy to fix but its such a hassle. especially since every thing has freaking trems.

16) most marshall products just because they use that goldish color. i would make exceptions for the jcm 900 because i love that amp, the old valvestate head was cool too.

17) hsh configuration pickups, especially if the buckers dont split

18) headstocks with excess shapage if done in a silly way. ie: fender strat, epiphone, the esp/ltd AX, most dean,

19) "extreme" bodies with the areas that should be pointy round. ml, explorer, etc. maybe this is because i am a jackson fanatic, but they look all radical then they just look silly because they dont look like you can cut a warthogs nipples off with them.

20) any excess electronic effect that doesnt deal with eq or volume adjustment with the exception of sustainer systems. who seriously needs distortion, chorus or even a full amp in thier guitar, really?

21) the variax is only being offered with such a narrow realm of options. the guitar can sound like almost any guitar you want, why wouldnt you make some more variation than "this one is made out of cheap stuff, this one plays like a strat sorta, and this one wanted to be a cool custom look, but we made it play like an epiphone still" wtf!?!?! i have thought about building my own guitar and just installing the electronics from a cheap one into it.... shoudlnt be too hard.....

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Guitars with no neck binding. I refuse to own another guitar without it, period. I don't care if some guy hands me a Private Stock PRS for free, if it doesn't have neck binding give it to someone else(though in that case I'd take that bitch and sell it!). :lol:

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
ENGL amps, overhyped and overpriced, and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon with them... very much like how everyone HAD to have a Mesa in the mid to late 90's... no thanks, i'll look for MY tone somewhere else...

basically, if a piece of gear gets too trendy, i don't want any part of it... unless it really sounds THAT good, which IMO the ENGLs don't.

deathmask666

Filthy Fat ....er
Reaction score
I prefer to buy stuff that i can afford...I use a marshall mode IV...Yeah i bought the whole setup Amp & Cab for $1000...I'm not much of a tone freak and this amp does the job for me at the moment.
and i bought the only 2 sevenstring guitars (ESP H-207, ESP F-207) that i own for $600 with hardshell cases.

But back to the orginal topic...Stupid reasons for not buying something...I won't buy something if it seems overpriced. But i don't consider that stupid.

I don't really like tremelo's so when i look for a guitar i prefer one without it.

VforVendetta00

Reaction score
i have to like how things look, regardless of how great they might sound. this is a large part of why i have a bit of a thing against even considering Orange products (and i'm glad to see that i'm not alone here).

i'm not particularly interested in ever owning anything by Splawn, because of this:

damn, thats fucked up cause splawn make some awesome freaking cabs.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
Guitars with no neck binding. I refuse to own another guitar without it, period. I don't care if some guy hands me a Private Stock PRS for free, if it doesn't have neck binding give it to someone else(though in that case I'd take that bitch and sell it!). :lol:

thank you. i knew i forgot some thing. i guess that makes 22 things.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy any guitar in a bright color. Black or dark trans-colors for me. The s7420 is the exception, I guess.

FortePenance

Reaction score
ENGL amps, overhyped and overpriced, and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon with them... very much like how everyone HAD to have a Mesa in the mid to late 90's... no thanks, i'll look for MY tone somewhere else...

basically, if a piece of gear gets too trendy, i don't want any part of it... unless it really sounds THAT good, which IMO the ENGLs don't.

I'm kinda with you on this one. I like the sound of Engl amps and really wanted one until everyone else started getting them. It's a stupid thing of mine to dislike an amp brand if lots of other people have them. =/

g3rmanium

NullPointerException
Reaction score
LEDs in amps for simulated "tube warmth."

Don't know if I already posted that. Whatever.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
They sound so damn good I could care less about the LEDs :lol:

They sound so damn good that the LEDs are just a plus. :yesway: LEDs = :agreed:

I guess I hate Rickenbackers because they're damn ugly and because they have a really hollow and thin sound... but I don't know if that's a stupid reason for disliking them. And I hate DanElectro because they break easily, generally sound like shit, look pretty ugly, and have no real value... but I don't think that's a stupid reason, either.

jakeofthumbs

blue steel thumb
Reaction score
I'm over the 5150/6505 thing, metalcore kids killed it.

Gibson/Fender for their ridiculous pricing, and poor quality materials - I was so stoked when I talked my Dad out of buying a tele, and got Ron Kirn to build him a custom job, for LESS than what he would have paid for the Fender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')