Whats your "stupid" reason for disliking a brand/piece of gear?

• Thread starter Ojinomoto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I get annoyed to myself at how picky I am with guitars aestheticwise.

- Strats and teles look like unfinished guitars to me, for some reason
- I absolutely hate maple fretboard for a similar reason
- Can't stand overly pointed guitars either. I have the same problem with headstocks
- I love Les Pauls, but anything that just reminds me of a Les Paul disgusts me, like the Agile single cut. I don't consider the PRS single cut anything close though, and I'm digging the Eclipse shape as well (at least)
- Single cuts with 7 strings seem odd

I'm not proud of being like that, really. Luckily, I'm not that picky with amps and gear - if everything goes right, my upcoming amp will be a very ugly little combo, but I will love it all the same :lol:

Reaction score
I dislike Ibanez guitars because I have come to hate rosewood with an extreme passion. I know they make guitars with maple boards, but I'm not a big fan of those. Ebony all the way. :yesway:

maximummetal288

Reaction score
I can't stand the "Mommy and Daddy bought my rig for me at guitar center" gear. Majority of the crabcore bands have gear like that... they usually have Schecters, two Triple Rectifiers with the matching Recto cab, that outrageously unnecessary Ampeg 8x10 cab. Of course all the gear is in really expensive roadcases. And the bands that don't have parents with money have the typical Marshall MG stack and/or the Line 6 Spider stack (but I don't think either would make someone jealous).

I love Mesa stuff but when you see someone with a triple recto who can't play they probably bought the amp because of the wattage and they know a lot of big bands use Mesa. If they are running a Mark IV or a Roadster that's another story because those amps aren't as common and most buyers know what they want and do their research when they buy those. Now Schecter, they make great stuff, but I just can't stand the bands that use them. To me most people with schecters makes them look uneducated on gear options and just went to guitar center and picked up the red hellraiser that everyone plays. They make a lot of good stuff though but I just can't bring myself to buy one. And those Ampeg 8x10s... I just hate those. They are so damn big and heavy, there's no way you need that thing, a 4x10 or a 2x10 w/ a 15 is plenty loud and much smaller.

I don't mind what the amp looks like but if you look like a tool to me playing it then it bothers me.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
I can't stand pointy guitars like the Xiphos or Warlock etc. Non Tele Headstocks on Teles also make me very upset. Like that custom Agile Tele 7, it's so awesome but I would never get it because of the headstock.

Reaction score
I can't stand pointy guitars like the Xiphos or Warlock etc. Non Tele Headstocks on Teles also make me very upset. Like that custom Agile Tele 7, it's so awesome but I would never get it because of the headstock.

Did you ever go through a phase where you did like pointy guitars? I know I did - kinda moved away from it as I matured, however. I do like the Xiphos, Warrior V, and Jackson warrior shapes, despite how unbalanced they can be.

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Krank, Dean, B.C. Rich (not rico) LTD, Mesa, Danelectro, Rickenbacker, Crate...
I hate them all... because too many people use them because they are what they are. Also because most of them either sound like shit, or look like shit. I'd much rather buy an Agile strat and scallop it or something. Also any guitar without 24 frets because it seems like a waste. OH! I hate boss too. I hate most ibanez guitars because theyre either basswood, black, rosewood fretboards, and shitty pickups, or mahogany, 22 frets, ugly colors, and shitty pickups. I guess im done lol.

Overt1

Reaction score
hate emgs cause i hate changing batteries

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
hate emgs cause i hate changing batteries

Do you hate cars too?

And remotes?

And 75% of everything else that uses batteries?

I hate Bugera because they can't come up with their own amps and copy everyone else.

widdlywhaa

Reaction score
I really hate line 6 amps, most of them sound really bad to my ears but it's also annoying cause every time I go to a local show and some "I started this band like last week" band comes out their guitarist is sporting a line 6 combo of some kind and a schecter,epiphone, or squire of some kind.

it never sounds good and should probably never have been brought out of their garage, basement, or parents den.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I dislike Devries guitars because I dislike Metallica.
:rofl: I got it.

I used to hate crate, but (and I've only been able to play it for 30 minutes at lowish volume as of yet so this could change) my Shockwave (finally picked that thing up today) sounds good in my opinion.

And my "stupid" reason and gear is that I "dislike" moderately any bass that isn't a warwick, really because it isn't a warwick. I just can never get into any basses that aren't warwicks, I love the sounds I can get out of them, I love the sounds I've heard other people get out of them, I love the looks, etc. Nothing else measures up that I've come across as of yet.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
:rofl: I got it.

I used to hate crate, but (and I've only been able to play it for 30 minutes at lowish volume as of yet so this could change) my Shockwave (finally picked that thing up today) sounds good in my opinion.

And my "stupid" reason and gear is that I "dislike" moderately any bass that isn't a warwick, really because it isn't a warwick. I just can never get into any basses that aren't warwicks, I love the sounds I can get out of them, I love the sounds I've heard other people get out of them, I love the looks, etc. Nothing else measures up that I've come across as of yet.

I really like Conklin and King Basses over Warwick, also love G&L and Carvin. My L-2000 G&L is my main gig bass, even over my Sheehan.

I dislike EMGs (in guitars, love them in basses) because they are too sterile; however, I'm not a heavy heavy metal sorta guy, I'm a huge fan of Vai, Gilbert, SRV, Petrucci, Beach and Jason Becker so it makes sense haha. I do prefer Blackouts too EMGs though if I have to go active.

Also to reply to the post about amps not being black as a dislike, I really like some amps in White, Red or even Purple. It all depends on overall design and layout mixed with the color. Like white on most Carvins look pretty good.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
Did you ever go through a phase where you did like pointy guitars? I know I did - kinda moved away from it as I matured, however. I do like the Xiphos, Warrior V, and Jackson warrior shapes, despite how unbalanced they can be.

Nope, I started off really liking sg's but I'm more of a superstrat/tele guy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')