Whats your "stupid" reason for disliking a brand/piece of gear?

• Thread starter Ojinomoto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidcow

Reaction score
I've almost started to really go off Mesa amps because every single one of these new 'crabcore' style bands uses them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
I've almost started to really go off Mesa amps because every single one of these new 'crabcore' style bands poses with them whilst pretending to be real musicians.

Fixed. :yesway:

Im finally past the stage where I couldnt give a toss what gear other bands are using, if I play it and it sounds good then happy days!! Having so said, there's certainly enough decent artists on the Mesa roster to maintain my faith in their gear :)

More to the point, when's the Talanas album gonna be ready????? :scream:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've almost started to really go off Mesa Rectifiers because every single one of these new 'crabcore' style bands uses them.

Another suitable fix. They've only used Recto's from what I can see, which means my Mark III is still clean - lucky me.

I'm not a fan of Line 6 amps cause to me they look cheap - well, aside from the Vetta. The Spider's and whatnot all look cheap and the knobs they use look very childish :shrug: I feel a bit bad when I go to a music store and use them only for their tuning ability then go back to the tube amps.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to dislike Line 6's gear back in the day, but i've actually become quite fond of it :wub::lol: I'd love to get me one of the Spider Valve heads... So much industrial tone contained in those things :eek:

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MG's.

Why?

Because it's what all the cool kids are doing. Peer pressure is rough, I wanna conform! :lol:

hutchman

El' Lamo
Reaction score
I don't like Ibanez RG's. Purely cause of the shape. They are excellent guitars that play brilliantly but I just don't like the RG shape. Totally stupid reason........

Herb Dorklift

Reaction score
I don't want to buy a Marshall 4x12 because they're so common.

They sound great and they're dirt cheap....but EVERYONE has one! :lol:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
"its not an ibanez so it sucks"

i started playing ibanez guitars in the late 80s early 90s. since then every guitar i try to play gets compaired to ibanez.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
This is only kinda gear related, but I'm about as anti Sony as a guy could get.

It's based on two things. One is fairly legitimate, the other is.. not so much. ;)

1. My family owned a LOT of Sony products when I was a kid. At one point, we sold a house and bought a whole new Sony entertainment center: The TV, the VCR (yeah, this was a while ago), and a full component stereo system with surround sound. EVERY SINGLE ITEM died within a year and a half. As did all 3 walkmen I owned back then, every discman, and so on. My karma = no Sony product lasting more than 1.5 years.

2. Their marketing campaign(s) during the PS1 and PS2. I couldn't go anywhere or do anything without hearing about some stupid upcoming Crash Bandicoot game. Every magazine, every television show, every billboard, every radio commercial.. I feel like there were Playstation ads in my food. Every time I took a bite, I heard the advertisement in my brain.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
This is only kinda gear related, but I'm about as anti Sony as a guy could get.

It's based on two things. One is fairly legitimate, the other is.. not so much. ;)

1. My family owned a LOT of Sony products when I was a kid. At one point, we sold a house and bought a whole new Sony entertainment center: The TV, the VCR (yeah, this was a while ago), and a full component stereo system with surround sound. EVERY SINGLE ITEM died within a year and a half. As did all 3 walkmen I owned back then, every discman, and so on. My karma = no Sony product lasting more than 1.5 years.

2. Their marketing campaign(s) during the PS1 and PS2. I couldn't go anywhere or do anything without hearing about some stupid upcoming Crash Bandicoot game. Every magazine, every television show, every billboard, every radio commercial.. I feel like there were Playstation ads in my food. Every time I took a bite, I heard the advertisement in my brain.

thats odd, i swear by sony. my dad even still has his working console trinitron tv :nuts:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
thats odd, i swear by sony. my dad even still has his working console trinitron tv :nuts:

Yeah, I know it's weird. Most of my friends love Sony and have no reason not to. I can only base my judgments on personal experience, though. I'm not kidding man -- every product we've ever owned died. It's totally bizarre. :nuts:

cycloptopus

Reaction score
My stupid reason for hating Mac Computers and all things Mac is based on cult-like fanatics who live and die by the ball sack of Steve Jobs.

For example, the other day I'm with my friend (we'll call him Bob to protect the innocent) and he has a nice little Canon HD Camcorder. So I ask him, "Bob, what's that you got there? How is it? How much? I'm looking to get a decent digital camcorder and I don't want to spend alot." So Bob begins to sing the praises of his new Canon and so on. Bob also happens to be a graphic artist professionally, so I respect his opinion on the matter...until... he turns to me, looking slightly over the rim of his glassess and says, "do you have any video editing software?" At this point, I can smell it from a mile away. I reluctantly reply, "no." To which he says, "Well, you could get yourself a Mac Mini...blah blah blah blah blah blah..."

So let me get this straight. I'm trying to save a buck going for the $500 value camcorder, and you recommend that plus another $1000 for a Mac Mini??? Do they pay you to upsale me???? YOU ARE INSANE!!!! Not to mention I'm sure the camcorder will come with basic video editing software, and/or I can get freeware to do the job, and/or I can buy something for less that $1000 to get the job done. Spare me of your Steve Jobs pole smoking...

That said, I know Macs are good products, but I don't know if I can join the movement based on principle.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
My stupid reason for hating Mac Computers and all things Mac is based on cult-like fanatics who live and die by the ball sack of Steve Jobs.

Now that you mention it, I'm anti-Mac too. But then again, that's based on personal experience just like my Sony thing is and surprisingly has nothing to do with the millions of programmed Apple loving minions out there.

I initially learned computer music production on an iMac G4. Worst computing experience of my life. There was something wrong with the system from the moment we got it home from the store. Biggest issue: Complete inability to drag icons, at all. Now, think about how the Mac interface is set up to be different purely for the sake of being different, and then imagine how IMPOSSIBLE it is to perform half of the functions you might want to perform without the ability to click and drag. That was my Mac experience.

It wouldn't let me format the hard drive, it wouldn't let me reinstall or upgrade the OS. It was just stuck in 'fucked' mode no matter what I tried to do. And of course, they design the systems as such that if you actually want to do any troubleshooting or, I dunno, maybe look into the BIOS or something, you're fucked. Why? Because they make 'perfect' products, so why would you need access to fix things on the user end? :wallbash: No, you have to take it to a fucking Mac store, where you pay a 'genius' to tell you a bunch of pre-written garbage that doesn't actually apply to your situation at all, only to end up realizing they won't help you because you didn't buy the extra 'protection plan'.

Also, my ex went through 3 Macbook Pro laptops in 3 years, and the other guitar player in my band's Macbook Pro just died after only being a year old. :noway:

We hates them, Precious. :mad:

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
I dislike any object/company that has any direct relation to PETA. If I know profits are going to PETA (even just a little) I won't buy it. It's not that I hate animals (I'm thinking about becoming a vegetarian for fucks sake :rofl:), I just think that PETA has gone from a really great message to just being fucked up and crazy. There are a few straps that this applies to, but it's mostly other stuff :lol: that's my only stupid reason though.

Just for the MAC thing: I really love macs, everything about them is pretty awesome (to me) but I can barely justify buying one when I can get the same thing for literally half the price of the MAC. :shrug:

snuif09

Reaction score
I hate Sony too

I dont hate behringer but i would put some tape over the logo =)

I hate shecter cause the most emo bands use them

i hate the peavey 5150 cause every core band uses them

I hate the solid state marshalls cause its like LOOK IM COOL ITS A MARSHALL =D die.

I hate emos

and

i hate emos

liquidcow

Reaction score
I dislike any object/company that has any direct relation to PETA. If I know profits are going to PETA (even just a little) I won't buy it. It's not that I hate animals (I'm thinking about becoming a vegetarian for fucks sake :rofl:), I just think that PETA has gone from a really great message to just being fucked up and crazy. There are a few straps that this applies to, but it's mostly other stuff :lol: that's my only stupid reason though.

Yup I'm with you on that, except that I could never be vegetarian... I'm very much against animal cruelty but PETA are total idiots and I hate to see people get suckered in by their more watered-down campaigns.

Getting off topic here but I love this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')