Whats your "stupid" reason for disliking a brand/piece of gear?

• Thread starter Ojinomoto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

Lefthanded 7slinger
Reaction score
i have a strat and i got some "vintage voiced pups" sound awsome in the mid and neck bridge im not loving as much.

I get really annoyed at fender for putting out something like the "john mayer" strat
there is literally no difference between that and an american strat with a pretty basic color scheme.

i respect Mike Mushok and his Ibanez because he got a siggy and wanted it to be affordable to help promote baritone player etc....

I've always hated strats, which fits nicely with the name of the thread because I'm not really too sure why. But I've never really been a fan of them or the way they look.

and I always found that like the ibanez jem has I guess lower end versions and I noticed my friends Jem has specs that are very similar to a lot of ibanez RG models, I think alot of signature guitars have very similar specs to another model of the same guitar brand, just a way fatter price tag.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphblood

Ulnar Survivor
Reaction score
With a few exceptions, I am not a huge fan of a lot of the signature model guitars. Such as kids who buy the Synyster Gates guitar, or the Dimebags (Which I see A LOT). I mean, I have always been one to balk at someone buying something that is made to replicate someone elses gear. It just screams unoriginality to me. There are a few notable exceptions (JEMs being one of them), but people who drop a grand on the "Syn Custom" and are naive enough to expect that they'll sound like them irritate me. It's cool to wanna borrow little things here and there from your idols, but trying to replicate their sound exactly, and playing a guitar made for them seems like a cop out to me. I was always more about self expression, my own voice, not the voice of someone else.

I also hate Relic gear. I think making things LOOK like they had the crap played out of them is a stupid concept.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
i have a strat and i got some "vintage voiced pups" sound awsome in the mid and neck bridge im not loving as much.

I get really annoyed at fender for putting out something like the "john mayer" strat
there is literally no difference between that and an american strat with a pretty basic color scheme.

i respect Mike Mushok and his Ibanez because he got a siggy and wanted it to be affordable to help promote baritone player etc....

Not quite true about the JM strat. It also has his custom voiced pickups that have a very pleasing mid-scoop and lowered output, and a custom neck curve.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the owner of a company is a jerk, or has absolutely no humility, or is not at least a little humble, I have a hard time giving them my hard earned money. There's a great deal of gear that I've at one point really wanted, but having either met in person or via e-mail, have just been completely "un-sold" of the gear. I know it makes me look like a jerk in itself for judging someone on so little, but I guess that's just how I'm wired.

For instance, I HATE when a builder (guitar, amp, effects, etc.) badmouths their competitors. The way I look at it, putting down someone else is NOT how you sell your gear. It's better to speak highly of the merits of your product then to bash another. It reminds me too much of the political slander that often goes on in this country. There's too much DON'T VOTE (i.e. "buy from") FOR MY OPPOSITION BECAUSE THEY'RE A POOPY HEAD!".

Sorry for the rant, and I realize how stupid of a reason this is, but it's my stupid reason.

maxident213

Reaction score
I hate 3 things:

- Volume knobs being too close to the bridge. My picking hand needs elbow room.

- I don't mind signature model gear, but if it has someone's signature or band name on it, that's a huge turn-off.

- Excessive amounts of abalone (LTD). :noway:

hide

Psyche scarring
Reaction score
This may be the stupidest reason: when strings have a lateral angle past the nut. :nuts:

Not that I wouldn't buy a guitar like that, but it freaks me a little, strings going straight up to the tuners are always a plus for me.
Again, the more I think of it, the more I see how silly that is :lol:

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
I don't think I've answered yet but I have a few dumb reasons.

I hate owning something everyone else has. I think that's why I've taken an affinity to older LTD models. I could never own a Kirk Hammet ESP, even though they play friggin awesome. I'm not a Metallica fan boy (but I do like them), and would hate people associating me with the hamster.

Any musician I deem being chuds, overrated, and/or should be embarrassed of themselves I will never ever own something with their name on it. That's a long list. Basically the majority of every sig out there I have no will or want to own. The only "sig" I'd love to own is a Stephen Carpenter 6 and 7 string. That's because I'm a 'Tones fanatic, and it's a sweet playing guitar.

Herb Dorklift

Reaction score
I hate Marshall cabs. Just because everyone has them. Even if people who don't play music associate them with mega rock stars, and the thing to have... I'd rather have a Blackstar cab that they didn't recognise... :p

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Pickguards, bolt-on necks (especially with a square heel), floating bridges of any kind, dot inlays (I prefer no inlays at all, but if they have to be there I want anything but dots). I'll also take a natural wood, satin finish over a glossy paint job any day.

A lot of those come from having a horrificly bad strat copy as my first guitar for years. Played for shit and wouldn't stay in tune and I just didn't know any better. I'm still bitter about how many years I spent trying to get anything to sound right on it. I now know that bolt-on necks (Parker's rounded joint on NiteFly's is fantastic and Ibanez' all-access neck joint is usually tolerable), and floating bridges (Parker bridges again) can be made comfortable and stable, but I still have that initial burst of loathing whenever I see them that's hard for me to get over.

baboisking

Reaction score
This may be the stupidest reason: when strings have a lateral angle past the nut. :nuts:

Not that I wouldn't buy a guitar like that, but it freaks me a little, strings going straight up to the tuners are always a plus for me.
Again, the more I think of it, the more I see how silly that is :lol:

it just looks scary, doesnt it? like their gonna snap off... :lol:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Pickguards, bolt-on necks (especially with a square heel), floating bridges of any kind, dot inlays (I prefer no inlays at all, but if they have to be there I want anything but dots). I'll also take a natural wood, satin finish over a glossy paint job any day.

Minus the floating bridges part I'm the same although the dots thing will not stop me buying an otherwise good guitar especially if they are small dots but all those things except the floating trem are a turn off to me.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score

You pretty much just described all my guitars in some way. :lol:

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
Any gear / guitars / that Dave Mustaine has ever used or endorsed i wont play , not because i have anything personal against him; just want to get as far away from that tone as possible.

I_infect

Reaction score

that's an issue for me as well, to be more specific, Jackson headstocks. I almost grabbed a slat3-7, but that hockey stick look just killed it for me. The Dean V 'stocks are a no no too:lol:

Other than that, vintage trems.

shoot2thrill

Matthew 16:26
Reaction score
I stay pretty much in the super strat, les paul, and SG body styles. I hate a lot of the BC-Rich and Dean crazy body styles. I also HATE signature guitars...i hate having someone elses name on my gear.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Overly pointy guitars. I absolutely refuse to touch a guitar that is a V, warlock, bat wing, crazy unproportionate shapes, ECT. Im not exactly a huge fan of strat style bodies (or very similar) either but that it usually the option that remains when getting a guitar. I actually loved my Les Paul as well though its a common shape but I just with a telecaster style or mabey a shape similar to the Scecter 007 would be available in an 8 string.

Jogeta

Reaction score
the inlay on the LTD SC-607B is a genuinely hideous and thoughtless besmirchment upon an otherwise flawless guitar.
if i was able to see past this, i would get one in a heartbeat.

EDIT: how could i neglect the Warwick headstock?!

Last edited:

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
- ENGL : I have not liked some of them at all, and not been blown away by any of the others I've heard, i also really dislike the upper midrange sterility they have which is almost icepicky. The other reason I dislike them is because I see them as a trend amp, it used to all be about the rectifier, and various other amps have been "the" amp to own over the years. I hate them as I think more people buy them because they are the in thing to have. Also, the SE when i heard it was just dissapointing, there is no way on wearth that that amp should cost as much as it does.

- Gear Trends: When a load of people buy shit just because everyone else is.

- Tree of life inlays / floral patterns on guitars: Nothing says "i like man meat" as much as this. It is just never going to look cool. You'll either look like a steve vai wannabee or a prentious muppet

- the stephen carpenter pickup config, just no

- EMG 7string (and 8string) housings

- Gibson SG's

- Centered dots. Seriously, side dots are way way way sexier.

DarkMythras

Reaction score
As much as I like them and as good as guitars as they are, ESP 'cause they are stupid overpriced and I'm a Jackson fanboy :lol::lol::lol::lol:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Not that I think my reason is stupid, I wouldn't order anything from Christopher Woods or Mike Sherman and I really don't understand the people who do. I wouldn't want to give any money to any builder who looks after new customers while they still have customers waiting for what they have paid for years later, I just might be the next guy that gets screwed and I'm not much of a gambler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')