Whats your "stupid" reason for disliking a brand/piece of gear?

• Thread starter Ojinomoto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Luafcm

Reaction score
I'm a metalhead. I waited 15 years to try a 5150 becuse Peavey only makes shit. Everyone knows this, especially my uncle who owns the local Marshall dealer. I bought at 6505+ THE DAY AFTER I PLAYED MY FIRST ONE!!! LOL, I suck.

metalmachine

Reaction score
Dimebag Signature gear. The amount of signature equipment put out by Dean and Krank, post-death, is insulting. They STILL use his name and likeness for their products, ESPECIALLY Dean. Dean keeps putting out NEW guitars that Dime never played. It's sickening.
man dime is one of my favorite guitarist and i too cant bring myself to buy his signiture stuff.

and by the way yea people have really turned his death into a marketing scam

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My guitar player used to use his POD XT Pro as his wah pedal and it sounded TERRIBLE. No dynamics at all. It sounded like he turned his tone pot down all the way and back up again, at best. It was atrocious. Ever since then, Line 6 multieffects just can't sound good to me anymore. That's, by my own admission a pretty "stupid reason".

DI0H

Reaction score
1. Signature Stuff (If there is a gear, even if it is good stuff, I won't buy it!)
2. Gibson (I do hate rock-bitch-hippie-slash-scum-wannabe stuff to death)
4. Electric guitars without floyd rose and 22 frets. (shit, shit, shit)

quasarwaves

Gates Of Winter
Reaction score
Haha I like this thread

DANELECTRO ANYTHING
but especially pedals... for the stupid fucking names.

black coffee distortion? what?
i think there was something called toast? wtf?

and thats besides the fact that everything they make is garbage anyways. as far as guitars go i'd rather play a baking pan with elastics tied around it.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
dumb reasons for hating gear?

1.) If it has a retarded model name (like moogerfooger)

2.) If it's an amp made by marshall or line 6. I'm sure that there are great amps made by both those companies, but after owning both a spider II 30w and a marshall mg I just seem to automatically pass amps made by both those companies

3.) I know it's lame, but if a guitar doesn't look metal enough to me, I end up not wanting it. I need to break myself of this or I will end up with too many black and red guitars. :lol:

4.) with a few exceptions, I hate signature guitars. The specs I see in most of them are just so incompatible with what I need, and I feel like I can't make the instrument my own. lame I'm sure, but there it is

5.) Locking trem guitars. Look, i'm sure there are countless ways to keep these things in tune, but I'm just not interested in dealing with 'em. I wanna be able to change tunings in seconds not minutes.

6.) Any Gibson guitar. The LP has to be the most overpriced and uncomfortable guitar I've ever played. The neck feels like I'm playing a telephone pole with strings.

7.) Chambered guitars. I pay good money for a SOLID-body guitar. Not a swiss cheese guitar. I'm built like a tank so I don't mind the extra few pounds of weight if it means more awesome tone. I also hate when companies (namely gibson) don't always tell you flat out that the guitars are chambered, so you end up getting crap you don't want.

8.) Distortion/od pedals of any kind. I pay damn good money for a tube amp/tube distortion, so why do I need to bother throwing digital garbage in front of it? I can just get an eq pedal if the amp needs a bit more tweaking.

9.) If I can't get a tone I like within 5 mins. of trying an amp out, I flat out won't buy it. I'm a plug in and play guy and I really don't like having to spend a weekend and a pot of coffee in vain hope that I might come up with a tone that I like. I'm sure it's a dumb train of thought, but I figure that's the point of the thread

10.) If it's made by a company that whores off gear 'endorsed' by a dead guitarist to an obscene amount (i'm looking at you dean and krank) I turn my nose up to it.

JunkMan13013

ss.org n00b
Reaction score
My things and stupid reasons are:

BC Rich: Look tacky to me, i used to like them, then played one (it was a lower end one to be fair to them) and i hated it, sounded like mud while wearing earmuffs

Single coils of any kind: to weedy for anything ive ever played, so sharp they hurt my ears ussually, and the fact i assoisiate singles coils with indie.

Bolt-ons: i hate the heel, even the AANJ is pretty shitty tbf.

Seymour Duncan Pickups: Every guitar ive ever tryed or owned with seymour duncans in has always sounded quite lifeless in my ears, and they dont hold the bottom end well enough.

theyre pretty stupid reasons i guess.

hide

Psyche scarring
Reaction score
Wow, how did I miss this thread? :lol:

With very few exceptions (i.e. the McCarty PRS in the classified) I can't stand gold hardware, it just looks fishy to me.

With no exceptions, guitars with a tree of life inlay. Which is a shame, considering that some j-customs would be pure sex apart from that.

Bernie Rico's headstock.

StupidDav

Reaction score
First and formost has to be signature gear.
1 - Because of the immediate association with the player. I want to make my own style of music. Almost to the extreme for me, I have to not think about the fact that Ibanez RGs are almost like low end JEMs.
2 - Sounds. I don't see the point in signature amps. I want to sound like ME. (Hypocrasy: I would love a Brian May Signature Vox AC30 :lol:)

Overprice.
Example: Celestion :noplease: They make their speakers in China, and sell em for double what Eminence want for one, and Eminence are made in the US. (May not be true of all models, but I'm talking V30 vs Legend V12) Also, one piece of gear being cheap in one country and being stupidly overpriced in the UK.

Active Pickups.
They just don't do it for me. They feel slightly sterile IMO.

Marshall.
I think their new stuff can't hold it against their old stuff to be honest. The JCM 800 is a killer amp and defined the sounds of rock in the 80's. Their new stuff? No. They need to get back to basics. Take the 800 and make it more awesome or something.

I think thats it?

A point I'd like to make is that after a while, I generally love the gear I once loathed. Two examples are Ibanez and Peavey. With Ibanez I used to rant about how they have no soul, no tone blah blah. :noplease: I dunno WTF I was on, I love Ibanez now! And Peavey - I was looking for an amp head a couple of years back and I had settled on an Engl Invader. To be honest it would have taken me years to save up for one. My friend kept going on at me 'Ahh yeh you wanna have a look at a Peavey 6505, they're killer!' My argument was that it had no tone (I'm noticing a pattern here :lol:) not the sound I wanted. After a while, and some different youtube videos, the Peavey sounded brutal, exactly the sound I was going for. Now I have one, and I love it (apart from when its broked :mad:)

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've just never gotten a tone I really like from Marshalls. :shrug:

THM Bryce

Reaction score
Seeing too many guys with camo shorts, gross shoulder length hair, and crappy gotees made me hate Krank...or maybe I just don't like Pantera...

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Anything advertising "vintage" tone. I fucking hate that.:noplease:

Do you hate vintage tone or do you hate the name. I'm just curious how one is supposed to find a amp with vintage tone if they don't advertise it.

Steve loves vintage amps and vintage tone.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i always :lol: at people who refuse to buy gear because its a sig model, like that dictates the kind of music you can play on it. Look at the specs.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
For me I hate vintage tone so the fact that the prices are inflated etc for what essentially translates to *shit tone* in my head is silly.

But thats why its in the stupid reason thread :D

I hate signature gear because the price is inflated... I mean people... look at the specs! your paying an extra 300000000000495790347589372$ for a "signature" paint job! (the majority of the time)

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
i have a strat and i got some "vintage voiced pups" sound awsome in the mid and neck bridge im not loving as much.

I get really annoyed at fender for putting out something like the "john mayer" strat
there is literally no difference between that and an american strat with a pretty basic color scheme.

i respect Mike Mushok and his Ibanez because he got a siggy and wanted it to be affordable to help promote baritone player etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
')