Whats your "stupid" reason for disliking a brand/piece of gear?

• Thread starter Ojinomoto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Not that I think my reason is stupid, I wouldn't order anything from Christopher Woods or Mike Sherman and I really don't understand the people who do. I wouldn't want to give any money to any builder who looks after new customers while they still have customers waiting for what they have paid for years later, I just might be the next guy that gets screwed and I'm not much of a gambler.

Yeah. That's not a stupid reason at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I'm guilty of disliking the Ibanez K-7 and Apex1 models solely based of they choice of inlays.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
i am actually really interested in trying a krank, as i found the tone on nevermore's TGE to be interesting, but i can't get past that stupid logo or brandname

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
dumb reasons for hating gear?

1.) If it has a retarded model name (like moogerfooger)

2.) If it's an amp made by marshall or line 6. I'm sure that there are great amps made by both those companies, but after owning both a spider II 30w and a marshall mg I just seem to automatically pass amps made by both those companies

3.) I know it's lame, but if a guitar doesn't look metal enough to me, I end up not wanting it. I need to break myself of this or I will end up with too many black and red guitars. :lol:

4.) with a few exceptions, I hate signature guitars. The specs I see in most of them are just so incompatible with what I need, and I feel like I can't make the instrument my own. lame I'm sure, but there it is

5.) Locking trem guitars. Look, i'm sure there are countless ways to keep these things in tune, but I'm just not interested in dealing with 'em. I wanna be able to change tunings in seconds not minutes.

6.) Any Gibson guitar. The LP has to be the most overpriced and uncomfortable guitar I've ever played. The neck feels like I'm playing a telephone pole with strings.

7.) Chambered guitars. I pay good money for a SOLID-body guitar. Not a swiss cheese guitar. I'm built like a tank so I don't mind the extra few pounds of weight if it means more awesome tone. I also hate when companies (namely gibson) don't always tell you flat out that the guitars are chambered, so you end up getting crap you don't want.

8.) Distortion/od pedals of any kind. I pay damn good money for a tube amp/tube distortion, so why do I need to bother throwing digital garbage in front of it? I can just get an eq pedal if the amp needs a bit more tweaking.

9.) If I can't get a tone I like within 5 mins. of trying an amp out, I flat out won't buy it. I'm a plug in and play guy and I really don't like having to spend a weekend and a pot of coffee in vain hope that I might come up with a tone that I like. I'm sure it's a dumb train of thought, but I figure that's the point of the thread

10.) If it's made by a company that whores off gear 'endorsed' by a dead guitarist to an obscene amount (i'm looking at you dean and krank) I turn my nose up to it.

no offense bro, but marshall mg's aren't really marshalls, and i'll say that different les paul models seem to sound and play totally different. i know this is a thread about random stuff you don't like and not necessarily one about trying to change people's opinions, but i'm a superstrat guy and i really like the newer LPs for what they are, having tried a '68 custom LP and hating it, and really being fond of one of the newer studio models. for some reason, the chambering imo adds this really loud unplugged tone, i guess all guitars are variable. (also try an edge pro or OFR loL)

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like Ernie Ball strings mainly because some odd number of years ago, I saw an advertisement for them that showed them being used as dental floss, and the thought of doing that made me cringe. :lol:

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
I hate any guitar that looks like it could have been used as a weapon at the Battle Of Thermopylae. I mean, jesus guys, I get that ya'll are "hardk0re m3t@l" and all, but really?

I also dislike Korn signature models and the E-GEN purely because of their association with Korn and DragonForce. Hey, you DID say "stupid" reasons.

Vox amplifiers annoy me. Too bright, too sparkly, too happy and too much like someone's annoying little sister. Sorry.

Anything with inherent latency. I like the idea of a MIDI guitar, but quite frankly I'm just not smart enough to account for latency in my playing. I've spent all this time figuring out how to count 4/4 straight, and now I need to account for 2 miliseconds or something? Forget it. THat being said, Pat Metheny's analog synth guitar thing is AWESOME.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
· Anything Zakk Wylde related, just because of my undying hatred of Black Label Society.

· Anything with a rosewood board unless its a PRS. I don't know why, I don't care for the look and feel of rosewood relative to maple or ebony.

· Fanned fret guitars. I get the practicality of them, but the way they look just gives me a headache.

· Dean guitars. Everything about that company gives me the creeps. Not sure why exactly. I know they can make some nice guitars.

· Anything Steve Vai related except for the Universe. Even if the JEM, Carvin Legacy, etc are nice units, they just remind me of how boring his music is, to me. I respect his chops and he occasionally comes up with some cool licks, but I find the vast majority of his songs to be a mind-numbing wankfest. I don't think his songs are nearly as catchy as some of his contemporaries.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
· Anything Zakk Wylde related, just because of my undying hatred of Black Label Society.

· Anything with a rosewood board unless its a PRS. I don't know why, I don't care for the look and feel of rosewood relative to maple or ebony.

· Dean guitars. Everything about that company gives me the creeps. Not sure why exactly. I know they can make some nice guitars.

+1 to all of this.

Zakk Wylde has got to be high on my list of disliked guitarists. I think it's the whole "look at what a gnarly biker dude I am" schtick.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
-I dislike anything Fender. Even their bases. They are too common and have too much hype for what they are.

-Marshall. I have yet to hear a Marshall head that sounded remarkable in any way. Not to mention they're so common among guitarists.

-Dean and BC Rich guitars. Their headstocks are terrible, and most of their body styles are audacious. NO thanks.

-vintage gear. With the exception of pedals, I do not want to play through gear that is obviously very old.

-Line 6. They may get good tones, but every time I go into a GC and see some kid in skinny jeans and a band tee with a cheap Schecter playing through a spider combo, I am reminded why I can't see Line 6 as anything more than a kid's amp company.

-Amp modelers. With the exception of the Axe-Fx, amp modelers give me the vibe that you can't afford a real amp. If you have a great tone and you're using an amp modeler, you may cause me to become quite conflicted.

Do I sound stuck-up yet?

Reaction score
Things that are used often are used often for a variety of reasons.

1. Not the most common unfortunately is that it is good. Many guitars amps etc are used often just because they are good.

2. Because someone famous uses them. unfortunatly this is how a lot of low quality expensive ass guitars are sold. While I won't say I will never buy one I can say I will never buy one because so and so used it. If I buy it will be because it plays good i like the tone etc.

3. It's noncomformist. this is ironically a reason for somthing becoming popular. because it isnt. People look around for somthing new and not seen before and next thing you know everyone is playing it because noone is. a really stupid concept i know but pathetically true nonetheless.

4. Because its "vintage" or "custom". This pisses me off too when people go blow money on a "vintage" amp (meaning old, probably beat up, and not built for heavy metal, if its older than forty fifty years its probably for blues or country, getting a metal tone will be difficult) or a custome guitar. Custom guitars are great if you are rich and famous and want somthing that looks and sounds differant, but if you are a budget player, like so many are, blowing cash on a custom guitar because you think it will instantly catapault you to guitar-god status is just insanely idiotic.

whew. what a rant. not done yet though. I have no problem with mainstream guitars amps and so on. If they sound good and suit my style then it doesnt matter to me. I refuse to play a shitty guitar through a shitty amp just because it is custom. Many many many famous players became famous on "gasp" regular guitars. very few did it on signature or expensive ass guitars. after they where famous they got their own signature guitars and stuff.

as for vst's and stuff, many people use them. I use them. I love them. While they are not perfect recreations the differance is minute enough to be ignored in my opinion. If you have shitty tone with them it is probably because you have no f***ing idea how to use them.

To sum it up, the guitar and corresponding gear does not matter anywhere near as much as the skill and inginuity as the player holding them. With that final reparte I sayguitar racists can F**k of and go to hell. Have a nice day

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
-I dislike anything Fender. Even their bases. They are too common and have too much hype for what they are.

:lol: I'm sitting here, strumming my Stratocaster. I absolutely adore this thing. The only thing to this I'd say is that Strats are one of the best selling guitars of all time for a reason.

Anyway, my two biggest pet hates are:

- Any guitar I can't sit down with to play. I spend most of time on my ass, recording so I need to be able to sit down with the damn thing!

- Scooped mids. Sorry, it just sounds awful.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
Dot Inlays. Seriously, if a guitar has this, I will not buy it. Unless it's a maple board with black/abalone dots (like Dave Wiener's American Ash strat). ANYTHING else, and I can deal with it. Even diamonds, even though they are basically pointy dots.

Headstocks where the strings veer off at a sharp angle into the post. I'm referring to you BC Rich/Dean. it just seriously bothers be and I can't stand to look at it.

TOM Bridges. I don't know who thought that was a good idea. After playing a hipshot, I'll never go back.

Anything that is advertised with a "vintage" tone. It's like they are trying to excuse tone sounding like it came through an old worn out transistor radio and the station is half static.

Gibson/Marshall/Dimebag. I shouldn't have to explain. I will never purchase anything related.

Rosewood. I don't know how many times I've seen a guitar that was nearly flawless in every way aesthetically, and then this ugly slab of reddish brown just throws all of it off. I don't even like the way it feels. Ebony, Maple, or Pau Ferro.

Glossy/Satin Black guitars. ugh... If companies were to do a stark white as a basic or default color, I would be all over it.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I dislike the idea of using any signature gear, but I'll get over it for a JP6/7.

I dislike tone / gear snobbery. I've heard fantastic players get great tone out of what most people consider pure shit. Great tone is achieved through experimentation and finesse, not by the biggest bankroll.

I also hate rosewood, but tolerate it because I am limited by budget. I love light maple & ebony and I should see more of these available.

Fender and Gibson can suck it. I finally got an American Standard and the quality was shit. Terrible join on a two-piece ash body. Bridge pickups was atrocious. I sold it after two weeks. So I dislike anyone who exalts this crap like it is the best stuff on earth. Give me Ernie Ball, Schecter or Ibanez any day of the week.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
interesting thread, especially I'm the owner of a rig most people on here would hate (Line 6 Vetta + B.C Rich Warlock)

Anywho my pet peeves

- dot inlays, especially on high spec models. Dot inlays are boring and serve no purpose (especially if you have the nots already on the top) I prefer no inlays or just one on the 12th fret)

- Steve carpenter customs. I don't get why everyone drools all over them. I don't like Deftones at all so I just don't get it. The pickup config looks awkward. I'd rather have the new Horizon 7 if I was going to get an ESP Super Strat style 7. Although in saying that, it's just the pickup config and the fact its a signature model that really irks me. But SO many people love/play them, I just don't get it.

- Les paul style guitars. I've had a tokai les paul + fernandes Revelle and the body shape for me is just plain awkward. They look silly for death metal/metal. They only look cool rocked low, haha.

- the 7 string Viper. Same reason as above, plus they just look silly.

gstacey1

Reaction score
Anything that's extremely mid heavy in a guitar or amp. The reason is I love mids but of course sometimes you just have to much and I can't stand looking at my amo and seeing scoop mids or just little mids. My mind just connects that with bad tone.

Also anything that's too glossy/ looks like plastic. I played an amazing sounding Rickenbaker but it was glossy it looked like a toy and I just couldnt stand it.

Also anything with out a good belly cut or is comfortable setting down like les pauls. I do alot of playing sitting down and I can leave with a V in classical position but just a guitar digging into my stomach makes playing really uncomfortable.

Finally small frets tend to make my playing sloppier idk why. Plus I can't stand looking at a guitar with them either it's just wierd for me.

Rashputin

Reaction score
  • Floyd Rose or any floating trem. I've owned some but I hate them. They're only good for the exact tuning they are set up for, they wobble around by just looking at it the wrong way, you have those "#¤"#¤ "fine" tuners that run out of screw all the time, they look like #¤"#¤, and they steal tone. Not to mention having to use an allen wrench every time you want to change strings (I change strings a lot). So no floyds for me (I don't do that many dive bombs anyway). Some players get great results with them though (like Vai or Satriani), so I'm glad they work for some people.
  • Dean Guitars. They look, feel and play cheap and plasticky to me. I hate the headstock and body shapes as well. I loved Dime and his playing, but why he went with a dean is beyond me.
  • Cheap ass cables (leads). Is it just me, or does a lot of instrument cables break way too fu#"¤ easy ? I buy the most expensive ones they have (Monster, Planet Waves etc.) and they usually last a bit longer, but I hate that they can't make a cable that will actually last for years. I started soldering my own cables now.
  • Two volume knobs on the guitar. Like some Gibsons have. I'm just not used to it, so I never turn the right knob. I also for some reason don't like the look of all those knobs. Especially on a small body like the LP. I get the practicality of being able to clean up one pickup and then flick the switch to get the full output from the other one, but it's just not for me. I almost never use the tone knob either.
  • + A bunch of other stuff, but I better get to work... #¤"#¤"# I'm late.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Guitars with no neck binding. I refuse to own another guitar without it, period. I don't care if some guy hands me a Private Stock PRS for free, if it doesn't have neck binding give it to someone else(though in that case I'd take that bitch and sell it!). :lol:

So, got over this, love me some unbound maple. :lol:

I don't hate anything for stupid reasons, really. I prefer to try things and hate them for valid reasons instead!. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')