Whatsupw/blackouts?

• Thread starter daybean
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is the wrong board for pickup questions?

Anyway, I'm guessing the EMG sized Blackouts still aren't out? Maybe I missed something, but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere yet...?

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
From what I've heard they should be out sometime in the next month or so, just go to your retailer and ask to order and reserve some, because they're gonna be hard to find for awhile.

daybean

Contributor
Reaction score
are this active pickups with the batteries, i heard you dont have to rout the body i have a s7420 the one with the blue/green finish and i dont want to do anything to mess it up.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
yes they are active, and they have 2 versions. one to retrofit the stupid emg route, and one so you dont have to route.

frank falbo

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm dog tired, and I've been working for the NAMM show. From what I hear, the BO7's are getting out there slowly but surely. If you've ordered, be patient and know you're on the list. You will likely beat the rush by being on the "inside" before everyone sees them in action at NAMM.

xXcondemnedXx

Alchemist NZ
Reaction score
FUCK!! I WANT THEM NOW!!

edit: so the people who havnt orderd them (me :squint: ) have to wait until NAMM???!! I've gotan rg7321 and its got shitter than shit pickups. I cant wait that long!! AND I live in New Zealand its gonna be April by the time I getm.
Fuck that Im gettin sum d-activators, or EMG's.(BUT I CBF ROUTING MY GUITAR, AND ITS FUCKING EXPENSIVE!!) ARGH!!!!:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :flame:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for stopping in Frank! :yesway: Sadly....no NAMM for me.

I'm really thinking of giving the blackouts a spin....

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so the Bridge Blackout came in on Fri. (Free Shipping! Thank You AMS). I had a show Fri. night so I decided to wait ‘till Sat. to put her in. The pickup simply plugged into the EMG quick connect, I tried to coil the attached wire under the pickup, but ended up cutting it and insulating the ends for room.

Today was band rehearsal and I really had a chance to put the Blackout through a real world test.

First off the Blackout is much, much quieter, even though the Blackout is noticeably hotter than the EMG 85 that was at the bridge, but it’s still articulate, more so than the 85. I agree that it’s a much warmer, and organic tone, and maybe a hair more bass response than I had hoped for, but no problem there. I set the Blackout about 3/16 to <1/4 from the action, and had to raise the EMG 81 at the neck just a hair to match. I’ve always preferred the warmth of an Alnico p’up at the bridge in my Les Paul and the Blackout is reminiscent of that. The Blackout is not at all brittle even though it uses a ceramic magnet. I think that is why I never liked the EMG 81 at the bridge, I found it brittle, harsh and thin in my Les Paul.

With the Roadster at band volume I noticed a much sharper midrange and smoother top with a slight touch of compression in the amp when pushed. The Blackout does not mud up the amp at loud volume/gain settings like the EMG 85 could if not careful. Ch 4 Modern sounds great as is for tight palm mutes, no need for my clean boost pedal anymore. The only EQ change I made was a hair less mids and more presence. I have the presence at about 11:00-11:30 and it nice and sharp, but not fizzy at all to me. With the EMG’s I kept the presence under 10:00 to keep the bees happy.

Lead tones in Ch 3 Vintage sound much smoother. The EMG’s had a much more aggressive top end, somewhat razor sharp but easily “smeared”. The Blackout has more punch and a less compressed attack, with a strong upper mid push. I dialed the mids and treble back a bit and brought up the presence here as well. The Blackout developed nice sustain at band volume and had no problems with pinch harmonics and tasteful feedback.

Clean sounds are good for a high output p’up, but you have to dial back the volume for squeaky cleans. Ch 1 Tweed sounded nice when pushed, and Ch 2 Brit had a nice crunch to it now. I did not get a lot of time in these channels tonight.

I’m ordering the neck position Blackout, I’m sure I will not be disappointed.

Bottom line, if you just cannot part with the benefits of active p’ups but are finding the EMG’s harsh and boring you really need to try the Blackouts. IMHO the bridge pickup does not feel as “plastic” as the EMG’s did. The Blackout has a much more “passive” feel to it, but with more punch and less noise.

Dom

That was posted on the boogie board by domct203, I don't know if that review has been posted here or not. But it really has me GASing for the blackouts.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm dog tired, and I've been working for the NAMM show. From what I hear, the BO7's are getting out there slowly but surely. If you've ordered, be patient and know you're on the list. You will likely beat the rush by being on the "inside" before everyone sees them in action at NAMM.

daybean, Frank from SD just posted that in this thread.