When bands re-record themselves...

• Thread starter ArtDecade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Anthrax re-recording all the old stuff with John Bush sounded pretty good. I still preferred the original tracks, but it was nice to hear his take on it.

Didn't Suicidal Tendencies re-do their entire first album?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splenetic

Reaction score
I ADORE the original cut, I can BARELY TOLERATE the remaster :lol:

HEAR HEAR! :hbang: ....Totally with ya there. I still occasionally put on the remaster, but then 2 songs into it, I'm switchin to the original.

OH, Another terrible downright REMAKE ... Dimmu Borgir's STORMBLAST. So unneccessary and shite compared to the original. :noplease: (Though I find myself rarely even listening to this band these days anymore.)

Splenetic

Reaction score
PS. Nemesis Divina remake? Are we listening to the same album? That album sounds killer, to this day. In fact the Satyricon albums that followed couldn't hold a candle to that masterpiece even production wise.

guitareben

Reaction score
Meshuggah's Nothing was just SO much better when it was re-recorded.... SO SO much better :D

So if it's done well... yea sure :D

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
I often like it because I like polished mixes...however,
Dream Theaters Images and Words.
I swear all they did was remove the cheesy 80's triggered snare. Completely removed the character from the album, that snare made the album :lol:

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I would not have gotten into Destruction had it not been for this album full of modern re-recordings. The originals sound terrible.

220px-Thrash_Anthems.jpg

Reaction score
After The Burial re-released Rareform with a new master and Anthony's vocals. Personally, the new mix sounds too good to me. :2c:
I couldn't Agree more

After The Burial destroyed Rareform. The vocalist of Rareform was to me, 100 times better than the new vocalist. The newest mix, was also way to "poppy" for the genre. Cursing Akenhaten was much more balanced on the original, as was the entire album.

They should of left it alone, and just released a new album.

I feel the complete opposite, I actually Did not enjoy After the burial's old singer at all.
I find his screams tolerable, but in my opinion I didn't think he was that great.
His screams felt weak and Raspy to me.

But to each is own I guess :p

They should really re-record Cynic's album Focus. I love that album but it would be a lot more clear what exactly is going on if they recorded it properly.

Cynic should really do this, focus is phenomenal album but the recording felt too " lo-fi" for me.

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
I often like it because I like polished mixes...however,
Dream Theaters Images and Words.
I swear all they did was remove the cheesy 80's triggered snare. Completely removed the character from the album, that snare made the album :lol:
I know what you mean... I hope the same thing doesn't happen to St. Anger... love that snare :)

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I know what you mean... I hope the same thing doesn't happen to St. Anger... love that snare :)

They removed the triggered snare!?! Blasphemy!!

(no really, blasphemy! We tried to get that snare sound for an entire day in the studio in 1997.)

revlover

Reaction score
Amazed no one has mentioned Exodus yet...

I love both versions but lately the Re-recorded one has been my "go to" Exodus record (blasphemy?).

Yes, a lot of people think it is blasphemy, especially since Baloff is not on this album. I don't share this opinion but I still think the original is a better experience. The new version is soundwise on a different level (originally recorded in -85) but the energy and enthusiasm of the original is hard to beat.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Redoing Enemies of Reality was a necessity. :2c:

Although that may have just been remastered.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Not very good, but listenable:

Megadeth-Risk---Promo-Prin-145170.jpg

Remastered. TERRIBLE. Absolutely unlistenable.

595px-Megadeth-Risk.jpg

Original: Pretty decent, but ergh, that singer:

Re-recorded and performed live with James LaBrie from start to finish, so made BETTER.

Static

Reaction score
Nevermore's "Enemies of reality"Origin's "Antitheses" and Anata's "the infernal depths of hatred" album should be re-recorded.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
Cynic should really do this, focus is phenomenal album but the recording felt too " lo-fi" for me.

They did.
It went from being a musically intense 'sterile' sounding album to being a, well, musically intense 'sterile' sounding album with Portal's EP tacked on to the end :wallbash:

I mean, i dig Portal and i've learned a lot from Cynic - but the remix was redundant.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
Dream theater - When Dream and Day Unite (Not a fan of this album)
Nevermore - Enemies of reality (This one is awesome)
Avenged Sevenfold - Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet (This album sucked no matter how you remaster it)

piggins411

Reaction score
I'd love for BTBAM to do a re-record of their self-titled. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I feel like a re-record would do it well

Djent

Obviously!
Reaction score
I think the original version of Nothing sounds more aggressive. Something about low tunings on low scales, actual drums, and non-processed vocals.

Brian Wilson's version of Smile is pretty awesome.

But the worst goes to when Ozzy reissued Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman with rerecorded drums and bass, and made no indication of it.

Don Vito

Reaction score

I'd love to hear this album re mastered or something...

Not the worst I've heard, but a little sloppy on some parts. The band probably wouldn't do to much justice re recording with it nowadays...

')