When bands sound like Meshuggah...

• Thread starter Meshuggah89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
Meshuggah are just doing for music what Korn did for nu metal, and Nirvana did for grunge. Creating a unique sound that inspires lots of people, who in turn infuse it with their own styles creating something more different. Its possible to sound like the band that style originally came from, but Meshuggah are so unique its hard to replicate exactly what they have.

I don't complain about djent/chug music, I love it so the more the merrier. I think its a brave, interesting new genre.

Deja Vu.

Honestly, have you said this before? :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steffgang

Reaction score
I think that the whole 8 string thing we enjoy now is due to Meshuggah no matter we like it or not. About the bands influenced by Meshuggah.. I think it is not just a good thing but it is something absolutely necessary to be aware that music creativity is not just in harmonies and scales and all that stuff we already have since the baroque. What is happening here mainly because of Meshuggah, Planet X, modern jazz etc is a real revolution - people are becoming aware of the significance of the rhythmic stuff and dwelling into rhythmic complexities.. I find it very boring to listen to a "modern" music that consist of a permanent count to four without even some tasty syncopation incorporated - even the modern dance music evolves in this direction. The 8 strings are not directly connected with that stuff but Meshuggah proofed that those low notes can be used very successfully for that complex rhythm oriented stuff. Just to point out that I am a bit under influence right now as I just watched the ALIVE DVD last night and am still blown out by the impeccable and energy-full performance but most of all the attitude of the guys. Seriously those guys are out there for 20 years now giving us a music so ahead of the time that honestly the regular music listener cannot stand it. I am very glad that Meshuggah are finally becoming famous and are respected the way they should be.. Seriously think about that - in 95 they were opening for Machine Head wtf?! Right after the release of Destroy Erase Improve?!
Sorry I turned my post to a "Meshuggah is the best" yell but as I said I am under the influence :lol: I can't believe that stuff was played live that well:bowdown:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Deja Vu.

Honestly, have you said this before? :lol:

Probably dude, then again, theres been a lot of threads like this. :lol:

At the end of the day, music evolves, bands inspire other bands. If you think thats wrong, then 99% of music is wrong. Meshuggah brought 8 strings to the masses, which has in turn led to a variety of genres incorporating that low bass range into their music, whether it be metalcore, industrial or jazz. Its the natural progression of how things have always been, you just have to accept it.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is when it doesn't get mutated into something fresh or if the band lacks songwriting direction. It's especially bad with screaming vocals because most of the time they lack the severe conviction that Meshuggah have with the distorted vocal. The desire to scream shouldn't be a conscious choice it should be driven by the lyrics/music and most of the time people just do it because they are supposed to or because Meshuggah do. It sounds instantly amateur and bordering on stupid most of the time.

jakeofthumbs

blue steel thumb
Reaction score

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's the problem, if you play a low riff in some sort of polyrhythm, you're labeled as a Meshuggah wannabe. :noway:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, exactly. I'm afraid to write something with even a little polyrhythm in it because someone's bound to say, "Oh, you're ripping off Meshuggah!" Which is funny because I'm not THAT big of a fan of them to begin with.

jakeofthumbs

blue steel thumb
Reaction score
Yeah, exactly. I'm afraid to write something with even a little polyrhythm in it because someone's bound to say, "Oh, you're ripping off Meshuggah!" Which is funny because I'm not THAT big of a fan of them to begin with.

Eh, you can't win either way. Add prog over the top of a polyrhythm and you're ripping off Dream Theater.. As long as you don't write 4 minute songs consisting of a single breakdown, you should be fine!

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not much of a breakdown writer and there will be no bass drops in my material either. :lol:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yes. After The Burial anyone?

I don't think they're the most Meshuggah sounding band out there. :shrug: They play a lot of muted off beat stuff, which is common in metalcore/deathcore etc it just so happens they play it on the F string so it gets that trademarked Meshuggah sound. But a lot of their riffs, such as the beginning to Bezerker, are straight shred metalcore stuff that breaks it up.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I don't think they're the most Meshuggah sounding band out there. :shrug: They play a lot of muted off beat stuff, which is common in metalcore/deathcore etc it just so happens they play it on the F string so it gets that trademarked Meshuggah sound. But a lot of their riffs, such as the beginning to Bezerker, are straight shred metalcore stuff that breaks it up.

I can't think of a band that sounds more like Meshuggah. When half of your music consists of Meshuggah style grooves in F standard, it's inevitable that you will sound a lot like Meshuggah.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I can't think of a band that sounds more like Meshuggah. When half of your music consists of Meshuggah style grooves in F standard, it's inevitable that you will sound a lot like Meshuggah.

Dunno man, I think they've done their own thing.

Besides, wait till you hear my band. :rofl:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
If by "their own thing" you mean "their own thing plus Meshuggah's own thing", then I agree completely!

Oh yeah I mean they are definitely influenced by them, and they definitely sound like them at times but they make their own sound with it. I think so anyway.

Jay Jay

The Djent Plane
Reaction score
If by "their own thing" you mean "their own thing plus Meshuggah's own thing", then I agree completely!

Come on man, are you serious?

So they like 8 strings. So they like chugging on that low F. Doesn't mean that they want to be Meshuggah. Remember when they only had 7 strings and their lowest note was Bb?

It's fine if you don't like the band, but don't discredit them just because they're influenced by a band that you hold in high regard.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Come on man, are you serious?

So they like 8 strings. So they like chugging on that low F. Doesn't mean that they want to be Meshuggah. Remember when they only had 7 strings and their lowest note was Bb?

It's fine if you don't like the band, but don't discredit them just because they're influenced by a band that you hold in high regard.

Just like Meshuggah used to only have 7 strings tuned to Bb? :rolleyes:

I do like the band, in fact I've got Rareform, but they borrow heavily from Meshuggah - this is a fact.

')