When bands sound like Meshuggah...

• Thread starter Meshuggah89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
So Ska is a ridiculous genre? It is named after the tone and technique used by guitarists of that style. Word meanings change, people need to get used to it.

But I digress, I have my opinion on this matter and could talk about it till the cows come home. :lol:

There's a lot more to ska than the tuning and tone of the guitars. Do all ska guitarists use the same tuning? Could you give amp settings for "THE ska guitar tone"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
There's a lot more to ska than the tuning and tone of the guitars. Do all ska guitarists use the same tuning? Could you give amp settings for "THE ska guitar tone"?

I'm sure there is more to it than that, but the simple matter is the name of the genre stems from the sound of the guitars thats all I was saying. The same thing that has become of djent. Theres more to both styles than just the guitar tone etc but I'm just talking about the etymology of the word.

troyguitar

Reaction score
False. I'm starting to think neither of you has listened to either band properly, because if you had we wouldn't be having this conversation. It really is as simple as that.

There was a thread like this before where the same discussion happened. Even though I was sure I was right, I listened to both bands again extensively to see if I was off the mark at all. Nope. Seriously dudes, go away and listen to both bands back to back and then we'll have this discussion. If you still can't hear it then you're either in denial or you're just upholding your pride for the sake of argument.

Show one example of an ATB song and a Meshuggah song that are similar for more than just a small part of the song...

All I hear from Meshuggah is stuff like this:

5 minutes of chugging and yelling with basically no melody at all.

Compared to an ATB track:

All melodic until the stupid breakdown parts at 1:20 and again at 2:50 and 3:30. Minus the vocals and retarded breakdown parts, they sound more like Cacophony than Meshuggah...

splinter8451

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction of a Meshuggah song with melodic shredding like is in every After the Burial song? IS there a Meshuggah song with sweeping? Most of ATB's songs are built around the shreddy bits and palm-muted power chords.

I have listened to a ton of Meshuggah and have never heard any songs built like ATB builds theirs.

This argument is so crazy :nuts:

To my ears Fellsilent is more Meshuggah sounding then After the Burial :shrug: Especially if you take out their clean riffs. And I guess really you could say the same for ATB if you took out all their shreddy riffs and just left the breakdowns sure they would sound like Meshuggah. They are both heavily influenced.

Clearly this discussion has boiled down to a battle of opinions and Scar Symmetry is always so set in his ways I dunno why I even wrote up this post :lol:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with you.

I understand that ATB is more of a metalcore band, BUT the meshuggah influences are extremely obvious.

Thankyou. ATB have shred and happy stuff, but the Meshuggah influence is so set in that I'm stunned that some people can't hear it.

Show one example of an ATB song and a Meshuggah song that are similar for more than just a small part of the song...

Take your pick. These songs are very typically Meshuggah and if you're a Meshuggah listener then you'll know that, but I'm not posting Meshuggah songs that they sound like as that would take far too long. There are way too many and the ATB stuff is very typically Meshuggah-esque, imitating in style rather than specific riffs.

I'm not being rude dude but it's not really up for discussion, it's just a simple fact :shrug:

splinter8451

Reaction score
You're right it's not up for discussion, there are way bigger Meshuggah rip-offer's out there than ATB :fawk:

:lol:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I'd say ATB sound as much like Born of Osiris as they do Meshuggah, but they still sound unique enough to have their own thing. Its mostly the fact they play 8 strings they're going to get similar sounds to Meshuggah regardless as they were the first band to use them in a metal context.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
These guys sound more Fell Silent than Meshuggah influenced, even though Fell Silent are Meshuggah influenced themselves.

I'm not bagging on ATB at all, just stating what anyone who listens to the two bands should already know.

I actually think they sounded more like Meshuggah than ATB... I can hear definite influences in ATB's stuff, but that's all it is (of all the tracks you posted i still only really heard "influences" rather than straight up ripping off../jumping on the bandwagon...).

EDIT: Ultimately though, who gives a shit. Really.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I'm not being rude dude but it's not really up for discussion, it's just a simple fact :shrug:

Yeah, I hear tons of catchy shreddy licks in Meshuggahs stuff. :scratch:

There's a Meshuggah influence (which is shown in the crappy parts of their songs), but the two bands do not sound alike. It's not up for discussion, it's a simple fact. :fawk:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
People will hear what they want to hear :shrug: It's why there are a) genres, and b) pigheaded arguments over what genre/style certain bands are... I don't think that ATB "sound like" meshuggah per se, but Scar hears it, he's not wrong, nor is he "right".

I mean shit, take my industrial list. There would be at least 250-300 bands/artists in that list, and I guarantee that if i showed it to some hardcore industrial elitists, they would not only disagree with some of them, they would take personal offense to half the bands there...

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
YOU SIR ARE A GENIOUS!

I never even thought about that until just now and I can't stop loling!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a pretty epic breakdown though man!
:hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

Haha thanks. When that hit me I was like :eek:

On a different note, when I listen to After The Burial (which is a lot haha), the bands I think of most are a fairly equal combination of August Burns Red and Dream Theater.

Anyone else feel like that? Or even something remotely close to that? :lol:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I can hear definite influences in ATB's stuff, but that's all it is (of all the tracks you posted i still only really heard "influences" rather than straight up ripping off../jumping on the bandwagon...).

If you read my posts again, that's all I'm saying dude :yesway: There's no two ways about it though, the influence is clear and strong. Anyone with ears should hear it, it's not a question of what I think but rather what most of us already know.

I don't think that ATB "sound like" meshuggah per se, but Scar hears it, he's not wrong, nor is he "right".

Funny you should say that... :lol:

Yeah, I hear tons of catchy shreddy licks in Meshuggahs stuff. :scratch:

There's a Meshuggah influence (which is shown in the crappy parts of their songs), but the two bands do not sound alike. It's not up for discussion, it's a simple fact. :fawk:

Are you trying to troll me out? Coz it's working.

To look at the discussion in a positive light, at least no-one has resorted to shit-flinging or childish neg-repping... yet. :lol:

Krullnar

Reaction score
A better thread would be, 'When bands have choruses like Fellsilent', so we have fair warning and don't get surprised with that horrible shit when we're checking these bands out.

Aulecai

Reaction score
Yeah, exactly. I'm afraid to write something with even a little polyrhythm in it because someone's bound to say, "Oh, you're ripping off Meshuggah!" Which is funny because I'm not THAT big of a fan of them to begin with.

It makes me sad to see a LOT of you guys saying stuff like this. You're afraid to be accused of ripping off a band you don't even particularly enjoy in the first place?

Guys, birds of a feather flock together. 90 percent of anyone into ERG's, djent, polyrhythms, third-eye implications into music, etc are into those things because everyone into one of those things is usually into another. It's a way of life, and it all started about 10 years ago. :idea:
First, you got into all the big bands... some of us took the dark, innovative approach and started off with bands like Korn, Tool, SOAD and Mudvayne...
Others started with the more metal, precise, "anthem"-esque bands like KSE, Disturbed, Arch Enemy, In Flames...

And over a 5 year period, as we matured, we all went down our very own twisting, turning, ebbing, flowing path of musical interest.

Whichever path we took, we all ended up here for essentially the same reasons. And so did ANYONE else who takes interest in djent/ERGs/meshuggah/polyrhythms/third-eye metal/neo classical/prog/extended range jazz/experimental music.

The only other reason there is to end up interested in any of those things is because you ACTUALLY ARE just trying to fit in to some social crowd or way of doing things and pretending you grew up like all of us legitimates did.

But you guys need to think about this: ANYONE LEGITIMATE can tell if what you are doing/saying/playing is legitimate! The only type of person that will accuse you of "ripping off meshuggah" is a poser themselves UNLESS YOU yourself are a poser and THEY are a legitimate.

So, yes, it's a Catch 33 (<- +1 for Meshuggah humor) but we all know, deep down, what we really are inside. Why on earth would you avoid playing what you really love because you don't want to be a poser, while all the TRUE POSERS are off playing what YOU really love!

"All you are is you." - Deftones

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you read my posts again, that's all I'm saying dude :yesway: There's no two ways about it though, the influence is clear and strong. Anyone with ears should hear it, it's not a question of what I think but rather what most of us already know.

Yeah i can definitely hear an influence there, and I don't even listen to them :lol: (ATB that is...). They don't "sound the same" in any way, but I do agree on the influence.

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
It makes me sad to see a LOT of you guys saying stuff like this. You're afraid to be accused of ripping off a band you don't even particularly enjoy in the first place?

Guys, birds of a feather flock together. 90 percent of anyone into ERG's, djent, polyrhythms, third-eye implications into music, etc are into those things because everyone into one of those things is usually into another. It's a way of life, and it all started about 10 years ago. :idea:
First, you got into all the big bands... some of us took the dark, innovative approach and started off with bands like Korn, Tool, SOAD and Mudvayne...
Others started with the more metal, precise, "anthem"-esque bands like KSE, Disturbed, Arch Enemy, In Flames...

And over a 5 year period, as we matured, we all went down our very own twisting, turning, ebbing, flowing path of musical interest.

Whichever path we took, we all ended up here for essentially the same reasons. And so did ANYONE else who takes interest in djent/ERGs/meshuggah/polyrhythms/third-eye metal/neo classical/prog/extended range jazz/experimental music.

The only other reason there is to end up interested in any of those things is because you ACTUALLY ARE just trying to fit in to some social crowd or way of doing things and pretending you grew up like all of us legitimates did.

But you guys need to think about this: ANYONE LEGITIMATE can tell if what you are doing/saying/playing is legitimate! The only type of person that will accuse you of "ripping off meshuggah" is a poser themselves UNLESS YOU yourself are a poser and THEY are a legitimate.

So, yes, it's a Catch 33 (<- +1 for Meshuggah humor) but we all know, deep down, what we really are inside. Why on earth would you avoid playing what you really love because you don't want to be a poser, while all the TRUE POSERS are off playing what YOU really love!

Word. :metal: Post of the thread.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
A better thread would be, 'When bands have choruses like Fellsilent', so we have fair warning and don't get surprised with that horrible shit when we're checking these bands out.

Woah you just diss FS?

Wuuuuurd. :yesway:

Krullnar

Reaction score
Woah you just diss FS?

It's silly to be this badass Meshuggah-type band then all of a sudden go into a childish popmetal chorus. I don't get why they would do that, things sound so good then all of a sudden I'm knocking over my beer scrambling to click stop.

')